Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacao View Post
And as I said before, just because Seattle had to grow that way does not mean that Atlanta could not have grown that way. All I am saying is let us stop acting like disorganized and winding roads is reserved for beautiful cities while grids are just for ugly and treeless towns.

Again, I never said that Atlanta did not have to work around any obstacles. I am saying where is the proof that it did the absolute best it could. It is very likely that alot of the sprawl in Atlanta was not necessary but simply gratuitous. You cannot tell me that it is all about preserving nature when all over the metro I see huge lots with only a few trees on them. Is it everywhere? No but it is not rare either.

Here is an example of a Georgia neighborhood I like (and I know there are plenty like this in Atlanta)

http://goo.gl/maps/vJ6ry

I think it is beautiful when neighborhoods are carved out of existing forests. I do not like when they do a lot of clear cutting and still put down huge lots that are mostly just grass.

I am all for preserving as much nature as possible, but I absolutely think there are better ways of doing it than the Atlanta method.
And you have expressed this sentiment ad nauseum to the point of nausea. We hear you. You are in the minority. The tiny minority.

Learn to appreciate what is. Learn to appreciate that chaos itself can lead to things most interesting and beautiful. Learn that man can and does "over-plan." Your life will be much more enjoyable, I promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
And as I said before, just because Seattle had to grow that way doesn't mean that Atlanta couldn't have grown that way. All I'm saying is let's stop acting like disorganized and winding roads is reserved for beautiful cities while grids are just for ugly and treeless towns.

Again, I never said that Atlanta didn't have to work around any obstacles. I'm saying where is the proof that it did the absolute best it could. It is very likely that alot of the sprawl in Atlanta was not necessary but simply gratuitous. You can't tell me that it is all about preserving nature when all over the metro I see huge lots with only a few trees on them. Is it everywhere? No but it isn't rare either.

Here's an example of a Georgia neighborhood I like (and I know there are plenty like this in Atlanta)

http://goo.gl/maps/vJ6ry

I think it is beautiful when neighborhoods are carved out of existing forests. I do not like when they do a lot of clear cutting and still put down huge lots that are mostly just grass.
Do you not understand how geographic patterns casuse cities to grow?

Seattle was not planned out any better than any other city.Seattle just like Atlanta ,grew the way it could naturally along with some planning.
Portland is probably the only city that rose in prominence after the rise of the automobile that was actually planned.

in Seattle ,you see the same suburban sprawl pattern of disorganized streets

Seattle benefits due to its confinement f natural barriers.
Nobody thinks cities on grids are ugly.In fact please show me where someone said this.
This was brought up because Houston and Dallas have more of a grid layout but less urbanity

This is why cities like Dallas,Houston,Atlanta.,Miami,LA,etc sprawl so much.
Those cities dont have those limitations.

Clear cutting is something they do in every major city.Its cheaper.I don't like it either.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:01 AM

145 posts, read 200,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
And you have expressed this sentiment ad nauseum to the point of nausea. We hear you.
So it is okay for everyone else to express their sentiments ad nauseam but not I?

Quote:
You are in the minority. The tiny minority.
Is that right? Would you care to share with me the results of this poll you took?

Quote:
Learn to appreciate what is. Learn to appreciate that chaos itself can lead to things most interesting and beautiful. Learn that man can and does "over-plan." Your life will be much more enjoyable, I promise.
I appreciate the well wishes, but my life is plenty wonderful. To suggest that I have personal problems because I have different opinions on this issue is just plain silly.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Do you not understand how geographic patterns casuse cities to grow?

Seattle was not planned out any better than any other city.Seattle just like Atlanta ,grew the way it could naturally along with some planning.
Portland is probably the only city that rose in prominence after the rise of the automobile that was actually planned.

in Seattle ,you see the same suburban sprawl pattern of disorganized streets

Seattle benefits due to its confinement f natural barriers.
Nobody thinks cities on grids are ugly.In fact please show me where someone said this.
This was brought up because Houston and Dallas have more of a grid layout but less urbanity

This is why cities like Dallas,Houston,Atlanta.,Miami,LA,etc sprawl so much.
Those cities dont have those limitations.

Clear cutting is something they do in every major city.Its cheaper.I don't like it either.
No one said that gridded cities were ugly but it did seem to be implied several times.

The core of Atlanta is more urban than Houston and Dallas. The entire urban area is not.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
No one said that gridded cities were ugly but it did seem to be implied several times.

The core of Atlanta is more urban than Houston and Dallas. The entire urban area is not.
ANd that is the difference.Houston and Dallas do not have the terrin Atlanta has.

Atlanta is in the foothills of the mountains.It is rocky and hilly.The Northeast Expressway is a prime example of how they had to cut through rock to create the meandering hwy.

Here is an exerpt from one of the engineers that pioneered the connector downtown Atlanta.Listen to this statement:
Quote:
“In Atlanta (highways) should be constructed below surface grade, in general, on broad rights-of-way with side slopes landscaped with the flowering trees and bushes for which the city is noted,” Lochner wrote. Most Atlantans had never seen a “limited access” highway built below grade with entrance and exit ramps and bridges.
Quote:
There was a major rock cut there at North Avenue and The Varsity, and another one at Brookwood,” he says. “Georgia granite is harder than just about any rock in the country, and it’s very abrasive on the equipment.”

Atlanta Expressway System | We Build Georgia

If you have ever been to Birmingahm,you can see how its landscape resembles Atlanta.It has the same style of growth pattern.
If it were more developed,im sure it would have continued to grow just like Atlanta.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 4,789 times
Atlanta's growth alone is of a level that none other establishment has ever reached in human civilization. These are facts and facts don't lie, the ATL has grown by 1 million residents in just 10 years. If that isn't enough, Atlanta has significant impact on America and even the world. With Hartsfield Jackson Airport, numerous big time movies and tv shows based here, a prevalent music industry of hip hop and pop and an affluent economy, ATLANTA is an entertainment powerhouse already that will eventually rival Los Angeles and an economic engine that sits with the big dogs of Chicago and New York.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
ANd that is the difference.Houston and Dallas do not have the terrin Atlanta has.

Atlanta is in the foothills of the mountains.It is rocky and hilly.The Northeast Expressway is a prime example of how they had to cut through rock to create the meandering hwy.

Here is an exerpt from one of the engineers that pioneered the connector downtown Atlanta.Listen to this statement:

[/i][/i][/b]

Atlanta Expressway System | We Build Georgia

If you have ever been to Birmingahm,you can see how its landscape resembles Atlanta.It has the same style of growth pattern.
If it were more developed,im sure it would have continued to grow just like Atlanta.
All I'm saying is that it is likely that the Atlanta area could have been more dense than it is. Do you deny this?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 4,789 times
Quote:
All I'm saying is that it is likely that the Atlanta area could have been more dense than it is. Do you deny this?
I'm butting in but I do not deny this. Atlanta actually needs to work on den densifying it's metro area in order to experience future significant growth.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelovesatlanta View Post
Atlanta's growth alone is of a level that none other establishment has ever reached in human civilization. These are facts and facts don't lie, the ATL has grown by 1 million residents in just 10 years.
Atlanta hasn't grown by 1 million residents, the suburbs have. Atlanta only has 443,000 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelovesatlanta View Post

If that isn't enough, Atlanta has significant impact on America and even the world. With Hartsfield Jackson Airport, numerous big time movies and tv shows based here, a prevalent music industry of hip hop and pop and an affluent economy, ATLANTA is an entertainment powerhouse already that will eventually rival Los Angeles and an economic engine that sits with the big dogs of Chicago and New York.
Two words for all the film and tv production that goes on t here: tax incentives.

While metro Atlanta has had a lot of growth over the years, how does one explain that lack of upward mobility there and that Atlanta's upward mobility is the worst in the country?

I'm not asking this out of bashing Atlanta, I want sincerely want to know as a former long-term resident of Atlanta why with all of this growth and the things you mentioned that jobs are still hard to get there, the wages remain low and a lot of people, including the educated can't get ahead there?

Old 05-27-2014, 12:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
So it is okay for everyone else to express their sentiments ad nauseam but not I?.
You're the one who keeps coming in here repeating the same tired refrain over and over again. This thread with have dried up a long time ago if you didn't keep coming back in here being an antagonist for antagonism sake. You're not interested in a constructive debate. You're just stirring the pot.

Beating A Dead Horse - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta