Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Excellent point. Portland, Seattle and Denver are examples of this. They are diverse cities to a degree, but they lack "black diversity" (Africans, West-Indians, African-Americans, etc.) and they are held in high regard because of this too!
In my opinion Atlanta is FAR more diverse than Seattle and especially Portland and Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 03:02 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
... In those places, you see it everywhere, not just in pockets...
It's not just in "pockets." That was my point.

Quote:
... (I'm considering diversity more than just black/white).
Of course you are.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Ehh…Im sorry but I don't agree (at least on the first statement).

Ive been to Minas Gerais and I couldn't find anything in Atlanta that reminded me of there.

I didn't spend as much time in the Southeastern side of the city, but I could see that being the case. Atlanta does have the 5th largest West Indian population in the US so it wouldn't surprise me.
Well, I have lived and worked in Brazil (in two different regions) for six years and I really think you are not correct in this regard. I mean, if you were expecting to see a U.S. version of Ouro Preto, you won't find that. But the area is chock of full of Brazilians and Brazilian stores, bakeries, and markets. Did you go to east-southeast Marietta/north Smyrna/southern East Cobb?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Excellent point. Portland, Seattle and Denver are examples of this. They are diverse cities to a degree, but they lack "black diversity" (Africans, West-Indians, African-Americans, etc.) and they are held in high regard because of this too!
Yep, indeed.

Read more:

The White City | Newgeography.com

Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The guy's exact words were, "Atlanta is a BEAUTIFUL city! It is lush, green, and hilly. Its one of the most beautiful cities in the US." And that is absolutely 100 percent true.

He didn't say Atlanta was the most beautiful in the freakin' universe. Why not let a compliment be a compliment?
The OP's exact words were also "people in the city vs. city forums trying to argue that cities like Houston or Chicago are prettier. They've lost their minds!!!" Suggesting that either Chicago and Houston are ugly or Atlanta is really something in the beauty category...to suggest otherwise apparently would be nuts.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It's not just in "pockets." That was my point.

Of course you are.
It is very much confined to pockets compared to the Bay Area, DC, Miami, Houston or Dallas and of course, Chicago, New York and Los Angeles. Haven't spent much time in Phoenix or Detroit, so I can't compare them.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:55 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
When I lived in Atlanta, what I saw that the nice areas were mostly white with a few minorities mixed in, the bad areas were black, and while going out in Atlanta particularly when I lived in Virginia-Highland and Buckhead, the crowds appeared to be mixed but for the most part the minorities who came to those areas to eat or socialize didn't live there and were shocked to know that I did as a black person. I was often asked by blacks when I went out Buckhead what was I doing there. And whites while not as forthcoming wouldn't ask me in that way but instead would ask me where I lived.

The most diversity I saw was in the burbs and not in the city itself.

I'm now living in the DFW area. I currently live in Arlington and not Dallas. I'm finding that Arlington is way more diverse Atlanta (Arlington's population isn't much smaller than the COA proper) but it could also be the same here that most of the diversity is in the burbs and not the city. I haven't been here that long and I haven't really hung out in Dallas yet so the jury is still out on that as far as what I see in terms of diversity in the city itself. Myself and my daughter were both shocked at how much more diverse it is here. She even talks about how her new school is way more diverse and she went to some of the best schools in Atlanta that also seemed to have a good mix of students.

The OP says that Atlantans are friendlier. My experience has been the complete opposite so far. I've found the people in this area to be WAY more friendlier and polite than what I experienced in Atlanta. Not saying that I didn't meet a lot of friendly people in Atlanta. I most certainly did but it's different here in a way that I don't know how to describe. The people here are so kind that it weirded me out quite a bit at first because I wasn't used to it. Even the kids walking around here with the sagging pants that some of us would judge as trouble makers based on their appearance are so sweet and polite. My family who also lives here told me before I moved here that the people were much more friendlier. I understand what they mean now that I'm actually here. I've only been here a couple of months and I can honestly I have not encountered any rudeness yet. Not at all.

I find that the customer service here is also MUCH better than Atlanta. I found the customer service to be pretty bad there. When I walk into a business here in Texas, not only are the workers extremely polite, they stop what they are doing to help you; and whenever I walk into a store here, no less than three of four workers will come ask me if I need help; and if I look lost they will walk me to whatever I need to find. In Atlanta, not so much. If the workers aren't rude, they don't even acknowledge you. I have gone into a store there many, many times ready to spend money and have walked out after being in there several minutes without being acknowledged or asked if I need help. I'd often be left just standing there.

One time I was in a fabric store in Buckhead. I had a coupon to redeem and the employee told me in very nasty tone that she didn't have to time to navigate her system to accept my coupon and I needed to step out of the line. The store was mostly empty and there was no one behind me lol. Then she had the nerve to act like I was the one with the problem when I told her she wasn't doing her job and asked to see her manager, who informed me this worker has a history of being rude to customers, to which I asked why she's still employed lol. That was not the only time someone refused to serve me there.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:30 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
OP, Could you tell me exactly where you went when you visited?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I think it was a pretty accurate review.

His comment on diversity was accurate as well. Atlanta may be diverse compared to Jacksonville and Nashville or the Atlanta of 20 years ago, but not compared to other metro areas of similar size. In those places, you see it everywhere, not just in pockets. (I'm considering diversity more than just black/white).
Of course it is. Do you have any idea how large the Asian and Hispanic communities have become here? They are pervasive.
The local bus stop I pass daily is consistently divided between Blacks, Asians and Whites.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
When I lived in Atlanta, what I saw that the nice areas were mostly white with a few minorities mixed in, the bad areas were black, and while going out in Atlanta particularly when I lived in Virginia-Highland and Buckhead, the crowds appeared to be mixed but for the most part the minorities who came to those areas to eat or socialize didn't live there and were shocked to know that I did as a black person. I was often asked by blacks when I went out Buckhead what was I doing there. And whites while not as forthcoming wouldn't ask me in that way but instead would ask me where I lived.

The most diversity I saw was in the burbs and not in the city itself.

I'm now living in the DFW area. I currently live in Arlington and not Dallas. I'm finding that Arlington is way more diverse Atlanta (Arlington's population isn't much smaller than the COA proper) but it could also be the same here that most of the diversity is in the burbs and not the city. I haven't been here that long and I haven't really hung out in Dallas yet so the jury is still out on that as far as what I see in terms of diversity in the city itself. Myself and my daughter were both shocked at how much more diverse it is here. She even talks about how her new school is way more diverse and she went to some of the best schools in Atlanta that also seemed to have a good mix of students.

The OP says that Atlantans are friendlier. My experience has been the complete opposite so far. I've found the people in this area to be WAY more friendlier and polite than what I experienced in Atlanta. Not saying that I didn't meet a lot of friendly people in Atlanta. I most certainly did but it's different here in a way that I don't know how to describe. The people here are so kind that it weirded me out quite a bit at first because I wasn't used to it. Even the kids walking around here with the sagging pants that some of us would judge as trouble makers based on their appearance are so sweet and polite. My family who also lives here told me before I moved here that the people were much more friendlier. I understand what they mean now that I'm actually here. I've only been here a couple of months and I can honestly I have not encountered any rudeness yet. Not at all.

I find that the customer service here is also MUCH better than Atlanta. I found the customer service to be pretty bad there. When I walk into a business here in Texas, not only are the workers extremely polite, they stop what they are doing to help you; and whenever I walk into a store here, no less than three of four workers will come ask me if I need help; and if I look lost they will walk me to whatever I need to find. In Atlanta, not so much. If the workers aren't rude, they don't even acknowledge you. I have gone into a store there many, many times ready to spend money and have walked out after being in there several minutes without being acknowledged or asked if I need help. I'd often be left just standing there.

One time I was in a fabric store in Buckhead. I had a coupon to redeem and the employee told me in very nasty tone that she didn't have to time to navigate her system to accept my coupon and I needed to step out of the line. The store was mostly empty and there was no one behind me lol. Then she had the nerve to act like I was the one with the problem when I told her she wasn't doing her job and asked to see her manager, who informed me this worker has a history of being rude to customers, to which I asked why she's still employed lol. That was not the only time someone refused to serve me there.

Interesting. I have lived in Dallas and have a very different impression of Atlanta. Now sometimes Atlanta isn't efficient with their customer service, but they are almost always extremely friendly. Can't think of ever running into a rude employee in any business here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta