U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM
bu2
 
9,015 posts, read 5,705,549 times
Reputation: 3556

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Of course it is. Do you have any idea how large the Asian and Hispanic communities have become here? They are pervasive.
The local bus stop I pass daily is consistently divided between Blacks, Asians and Whites.
Do you have any idea how large it is in other major metro areas? All of the big US cities have had dramatic growth in those populations over the last 20-30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep, indeed.

Read more:

The White City | Newgeography.com
Great article that hits it on the nail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Suwanee, GA
110 posts, read 119,100 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Great article that hits it on the nail.
I think it's an extremely poor article. Having a large number of black people doesn't make a city diverse, that's simply absurd. The author also seems to claim foreign-born residents shouldn't count as "true" diversity. This blacks-equal-diversity line of thought is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
I think it's an extremely poor article. Having a large number of black people doesn't make a city diverse, that's simply absurd. The author also seems to claim foreign-born residents shouldn't count as "true" diversity. This blacks-equal-diversity line of thought is laughable.
No one is saying that.(At least I did not gather that is what he meant).

Blacks are also foreign born.Jamaicans,Bajan,Kenyans,Nigerians,etc...

However in this country that is so heavily influenced by African Americans how can a city claim to be diverse with such a low percentage of people of African decent?Or for that matter Asians?

Take Miami.Its very is noted to be very diverse but has a very small Asian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Canton
143 posts, read 181,428 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No one is saying that.(At least I did not gather that is what he meant).

Blacks are also foreign born.Jamaicans,Bajan,Kenyans,Nigerians,etc...

However in this country that is so heavily influenced by African Americans how can a city claim to be diverse with such a low percentage of people of African decent?Or for that matter Asians?

Take Miami.Its very is noted to be very diverse but has a very small Asian population.

The article is definitely saying that. In the article, African-American = diversity.

"This lack of racial diversity helps explain why urban boosters focus increasingly on international immigration as a diversity measure."

So the lack of African-American's is equated to lack of diversity. And your argument back is in bold above...the answer is because diversity does not equal Black and it does not equal Asian.

Austin is 48.7% White, 35.1% Latino, 8.1% Black, 1% American Indian, 6.3% Asian, the rest Two or More Races or Other.

Atlanta is 36.3% White, 54% Black, 5.2% Latino, 3.1% Asian and the rest Two or More Races or Other.

Both cities appear to be dominated by 2 races (White and Latino for Austin and White and Black for Atlanta)...except Austin seems to ALSO have a sizeable 3rd and 4th race (Black and Asian both over 5% of the population). Looking at the demographics, which city would you call more diverse? Be honest. The article says that Atlanta has blazed a trail in terms of diversity and that progressive paragons like Portland and Austin should take notice. But if you look at the demographics and don't think that diversity equals black people, then the article is an absolute hack job. I wouldn't call Detroit a diverse city...but I'm sure the author of the article would...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,036 posts, read 33,024,993 times
Reputation: 12701
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Do you have any idea how large it is in other major metro areas? All of the big US cities have had dramatic growth in those populations over the last 20-30 years.
Of course I do. I responded to your challenge that Atlanta is somehow exempt from its peers in this category. It is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
The article is definitely saying that. In the article, African-American = diversity.

"This lack of racial diversity helps explain why urban boosters focus increasingly on international immigration as a diversity measure."

So the lack of African-American's is equated to lack of diversity. And your argument back is in bold above...the answer is because diversity does not equal Black and it does not equal Asian.

Austin is 48.7% White, 35.1% Latino, 8.1% Black, 1% American Indian, 6.3% Asian, the rest Two or More Races or Other.

Atlanta is 36.3% White, 54% Black, 5.2% Latino, 3.1% Asian and the rest Two or More Races or Other.

Both cities appear to be dominated by 2 races (White and Latino for Austin and White and Black for Atlanta)...except Austin seems to ALSO have a sizeable 3rd and 4th race (Black and Asian both over 5% of the population). Looking at the demographics, which city would you call more diverse? Be honest. The article says that Atlanta has blazed a trail in terms of diversity and that progressive paragons like Portland and Austin should take notice. But if you look at the demographics and don't think that diversity equals black people, then the article is an absolute hack job. I wouldn't call Detroit a diverse city...but I'm sure the author of the article would...
The stats you posted are for the city NOT the metro.I concede that the city of Atlanta itself could use more diversity.The metro Austin stats are as follows:

The racial makeup of the metropolitan area was 72.5% White, 8.0% African American, 0.6% Native American, 3.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 12.8% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26.2% of the population.

Atlanta is 55.4% white,32.4%Black,4.9% Asian and 10.4% Hispanic.

So yes Austin the city is more diverse but the metro is not.

I cant find it yet but I almost would bet that more than half of Austin foreign born population is Latino or Hispanic.

Diversity on paper is much different than in person.You can go to cities like Seattle,Portland or even Austin but you just don;t feel like they are diverse.They feel very white.Nothing wrong with that but if you are not white (or Asian) you will feel totally left out

However diversity for diversity sake is ridiculous if people are segregating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM
 
12,947 posts, read 21,044,038 times
Reputation: 4096
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Great article that hits it on the nail.

Yes, it totally does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Canton
143 posts, read 181,428 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The stats you posted are for the city NOT the metro.I concede that the city of Atlanta itself could use more diversity.The metro Austin stats are as follows:

The racial makeup of the metropolitan area was 72.5% White, 8.0% African American, 0.6% Native American, 3.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 12.8% from other races, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26.2% of the population.

Atlanta is 55.4% white,32.4%Black,4.9% Asian and 10.4% Hispanic.

So yes Austin the city is more diverse but the metro is not.

I cant find it yet but I almost would bet that more than half of Austin foreign born population is Latino or Hispanic.

Diversity on paper is much different than in person.You can go to cities like Seattle,Portland or even Austin but you just don;t feel like they are diverse.They feel very white.Nothing wrong with that but if you are not white (or Asian) you will feel totally left out

However diversity for diversity sake is ridiculous if people are segregating.

Sure, but the article does not compare METROS. It compares the main county...NOT entire metro areas...so again, the article is a hack job as it doesn't substantiate the argument made using the metrics it invokes.

And I've been to Austin and Portland...and I'm NOT white and I never felt left out or that those cities felt less diverse than Atlanta...I actually liked the fact that they seemed less racially compartmentalized than Atlanta.

And you seem to have broken out the Latino/Hispanic population for Atlanta and not for Austin...if you do, Austin is 46.3% White, 26.2% Latino/Hispanic, etc...which seems fairly equivalent in terms of diversity...again...only if diversity doesn't equal black people. So...city or metro...the article is bunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus2000 View Post
Sure, but the article does not compare METROS. It compares the main county...NOT entire metro areas...so again, the article is a hack job as it doesn't substantiate the argument made using the metrics it invokes.

And I've been to Austin and Portland...and I'm NOT white and I never felt left out or that those cities felt less diverse than Atlanta...I actually liked the fact that they seemed less racially compartmentalized than Atlanta.
But YOU did not list county stats.You listed city facts.Atlanta is a large part of Fulton County and a small part of DeKalb County.

You have your opinion but I disagree.Atlanta is very much integrated.The only difference is that it has such a large black population that blacks have their own communities as well as mixed in with every else.

I routinely hang out with a very diverse group of friends with never an issue or a glance.

You may not be white but when you are black among mostly white people due to history,it is different than if you are Hispanic or Asian among whites.
Regardless of how nice people are,you feel like you are one step away from being in a Klan meeting when you are black in an all white environment.(At least while in the U.S.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top