Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

It'd be great to get rid of parking lot and road fronting Peachtree and replace with plaza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It'd be great to get rid of parking lot and road fronting Peachtree and replace with plaza.
This is my hope for both malls; with development happening all around it, that Simon will recognize the value of those parking lots and replace them with something friendlier to pedestrians, with parking all in decks.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Nice to see Steinway open a shop in the city. It could be quite a hike out to Alpharetta when traffic was bad.

Steinway Piano Galleries opens at Phipps Plaza on high note - BuckheadView

Old 10-28-2014, 07:55 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,024 times
Sorry. I prefer someone else being able to notice if I'm being robbed. I would take an open lot anyday over a garage, which tends to be a bit darker. Also, maybe they can add a bit of light inside Phipps bc that place always seemed dark to me. What's up with that? Lenox seems so much brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
This is my hope for both malls; with development happening all around it, that Simon will recognize the value of those parking lots and replace them with something friendlier to pedestrians, with parking all in decks.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:04 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Sorry. I prefer someone else being able to notice if I'm being robbed. I would take an open lot anyday over a garage, which tends to be a bit darker.
Unfortunately people get attacked all the time in open parking lots.

In a garage at least you've got some control over who comes in. A garage can also make it harder for the criminals to make a getaway.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:46 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,305 times
Recently, there was a carjacking in the open parking lot in front of Nordstroms, so an open lot is not really a safer choice. I park in the garage all the time, making sure I am near where the most frequent foot traffic is, not in the back corner somewhere.
I am hoping that after the last incident Simon properties is beefing up the security.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:20 PM

How is a garage controlled entry? The garage at Lenox is freely open to whoever wants to drive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Unfortunately people get attacked all the time in open parking lots.

In a garage at least you've got some control over who comes in. A garage can also make it harder for the criminals to make a getaway.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Just bc there was a carjacking does not lead to the conclusion that an open lot is not safer than a garage.
Garages are darker, it's harder to see what is going on as you walk up to your car, etc. I am talking in broad daylight. Now, at night, it is probably a wash. I don't hang out much at night nowadays so I don't think of the nightttime scenarios as readily. I'm talking daytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Recently, there was a carjacking in the open parking lot in front of Nordstroms, so an open lot is not really a safer choice. I park in the garage all the time, making sure I am near where the most frequent foot traffic is, not in the back corner somewhere.
I am hoping that after the last incident Simon properties is beefing up the security.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:29 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Exactly; also you're more likely to get carjacked at a traffic light than at Lenox Square, so if you're going to be afraid of that possibility...

Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
How is a garage controlled entry? The garage at Lenox is freely open to whoever wants to drive in.
It's still a chokepoint. With a lot, someone on foot can escape virtually any direction. In a parking deck, it's a bit harder, and it usually forces them past areas with cameras unless it's just badly designed. In a parking lot, someone walking randomly is harder to spot, someone walking randomly in a parking garage is a bit easier since there are only a few common pedestrian paths. The cameras are also more concentrated and don't have to cover as broad an area, lighting is also typically better at night as you go from a few poles over a broad area, to light fixtures every other rafter or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta