Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
According to this Decaturish article, at the last Imagine Memorial meeting Nathan Soldat from ABI stated that "funding has been secured to complete the extension to Memorial Drive, which will be completed approximately 18 months from the beginning of construction."

"Imagine Memorial" receives Atlanta Regional Commission funding | Decaturish
Well, that's good news about the funding. I still believe construction won't begin on that stretch until 2018, possibly pushing the opening date back as late as 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:27 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
IIRC, a lot of Atlanta's sidewalks are at the discretion of the property owners, which means it may take a new tenant before they're fixed.
This is correct, though in 2015 city council passed a bill directing DPW to use money from the city's infrastructure improvement and maintenance fund to pay for sidewalk repairs. While the city can still technically bill property owners for fixes made, I've noticed that the city has been repairing sidewalks all over the neighborhood that I've reported, without billing property owners (I checked with one to be sure).

Property owners could still be on the hook for sidewalk repairs - Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 03-06-2017, 11:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
This is correct, though in 2015 city council passed a bill directing DPW to use money from the city's infrastructure improvement and maintenance fund to pay for sidewalk repairs. While the city can still technically bill property owners for fixes made, I've noticed that the city has been repairing sidewalks all over the neighborhood that I've reported, without billing property owners (I checked with one to be sure).

Property owners could still be on the hook for sidewalk repairs - Atlanta INtown Paper
If the sidewalk has been damaged by a tree in the ROW (between sidewalk and curb) the city will repair it.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM

Also good to know! So far they've fixed all kinds of broken sidewalks along Kirkwood Avenue. Unfortunately some properties are still missing them altogether, but I'll take any improvement we can get, especially on our primary connection to the future Beltline.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Does anyone know if the apartment project at Dekalb Avenue and the Eastside Beltline trail has started? I saw some demo, but not sure if that's for the Eastside trail extension construction or land prep for the future apartment development. The demo was on the western side of the site, west of the future trail itself.
Quote:
However, there might be a delay in completing this portion of the trail as the BeltLine works with North American Properties on the timeline for two mixed-use developments (which include apartments, retail and restaurants), which will sit on either side of BeltLine at DeKalb Avenue.

“We don’t want BeltLine users walking between two major construction sites,” Injaychock said. “We also don’t want any damage done to the trail and our investment there as work continues on those developments.”
A progress report on the BeltLine Eastside Trail extension - Atlanta INtown Paper

Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM

687 posts, read 744,871 times
Is this not hugely disappointing news? The trail extension will now temporarily dead end somewhere close to the Edgewood Ave Bridge and then start again at the Krog St tunnel?

Unbelievable how they have suddenly started work on the North American Property parcels just as the Beltline gets close to completion (at this section) and now the Beltline gets put on hold.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM
JPD

I take back what I said earlier. According to the Atlanta Intown article, funding is not in place for the Kirkwood to Memorial stretch. The beltline folks need to get their story straight.

"Injaychock said funding is still being sought to continue the Eastside Trail from Kirkwood Avenue to Memorial Drive."

Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
I thought this extension went to Memorial Drive...? That is disappointing. Who wants to bet 100 dollars there's some type of corruption going on with the ABI? I just don't trust Atlanta government or planning organizations. There's way too much collusion and bribery.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 AM
JPD

Quote:
I thought this extension went to Memorial Drive...?
No, it just goes to Kirkwood Ave. ABI doesn't seem to know if they have the money in place to build it to Memorial, which makes me believe you're right about corruption. Something isn't adding up with this organization.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I thought this extension went to Memorial Drive...? That is disappointing. Who wants to bet 100 dollars there's some type of corruption going on with the ABI? I just don't trust Atlanta government or planning organizations. There's way too much collusion and bribery.
It's a lack of funding. Paving from Krog tunnel to Kirkwood is fairly straightforward. Getting from Kirkwood to Memorial involves rebuilding a bridge and adding ADA-compliant ramps and sidewalks on the street below. The costs of phase 1 and phase 2 were about the same when I went to a meeting about the project last year.

No idea if Soldat was wrong, the Decaturish article was written in error, or there's some other confusion about funding. I hope they figure it out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta