Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:52 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,808 times

Advertisements

Or the Providence / Boston metro areas? Commuter rail service is now being extended down to TF Green Airport to give folks the option of using both Logan and TF Green for their air travel. And having taken the T many times, I can tell you it is a TREMENDOUS benefit for commuters and also Red Sox & Pats fans getting to and from the stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is because back then Gwinnett was white trash and they were afraid that blacks would move in if they could ride MARTA out there. But to the amazement of the white trash, it was actually discovered in the 80s and 90s that black citizens in Georgia had the abililty to ..... drive a car AND pass a license exam! So the blacks ended up in Gwinnett County anyway! So since the blacks are already there, the whites probably figure "oh well, what the hell maybe the train will save me a few bucks in gas and get me home before bedtime".
Kev is showing that it is okay to bash white people. Think the worst thoughts, won't you. Doesn't it make you feel great to refer to white people as "trash".

Give it up, you anti-white troll.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:00 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Between downtown, Midtown and Buckhead, I'd say there was a large population of people that work off a MARTA line.

Did you mean there's a very small population of people who live near a MARTA line?

No, I mean that live in Cobb and Work off of a Marta Line, there simply isn't enough concentration of jobs in this area to convince Cobb residents, racist or not, to justify putting/paying for the line.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Kev is showing that it is okay to bash white people. Think the worst thoughts, won't you. Doesn't it make you feel great to refer to white people as "trash".

Give it up, you anti-white troll.
You know that most of the southern hicks down here hate MARTA because they see it as a "black" thing. In fact I have heard whites refer to MARTA as standing for "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta". This makes them white trash. Atlanta should be thankful us northeners moved here and finally brought the area and the state out of the 18th century. If not for that, the place would be another Birmingham or Jackson!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
You know that most of the southern hicks down here hate MARTA because they see it as a "black" thing. In fact I have heard whites refer to MARTA as standing for "Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta". This makes them white trash. Atlanta should be thankful us northeners moved here and finally brought the area and the state out of the 18th century. If not for that, the place would be another Birmingham or Jackson!

Your high and mighty attitude is what a lot of people don't like about some northerners. Notice, I didn't generalize all northerners, and in fact I realize that most of them do not have the same attitudes that you do. In a similar manner, a small population of southerners may fit your stereotype, but that's a small percentage.

The fact that you use terms like "white trash", makes you sound like nothing more than a bigot; an individual who feels it is okay to smear white people of whom do not share the same beliefs.

I doubt many people really care what your personal opinions are. However, I must agree with people who state that if you don't like it here, you can always move back north.

You act as though it was the northerners that made Atlanta the "sophisticated" place that it is. You seem to have this idea that a certain persona characterizes the overall behavior of the people of one region, and that another attitude characterizes the overall behavior of the people of another. This generally coincides with many northerners' (not all, or most) associating northern attitudes merely with the urban areas, while forgetting that there is a LOT of rural attitudes and rural people in the north. Good people. Perhaps it is a media distinction, but it is very odd when you act like a few northerners made this place sophisticated, when southerners still occupy roughly seventy percent of metro Atlanta. That is, southerners still compromise roughly seventy percent of the overall population of metro Atlanta. You're probably unaware that we had highrise buildings (most of the influential architects on Atlanta's skyline have been southerners), museums, parks, zoos, theaters, nice neighborhoods, as well as other cultural ammenities, long before any significant northern population was here.

I've visited a lot of northern cities, and many of them look like they barely made it into the 1990s. Buffalo is one. I've never seen so many old cars as I have in the Buffalo area. Sure, it's most likely due to the terrible economy in that region, but a large swath of the north is economically stagnant. You'd think with all the "sophisticated" northerners they have (close to one hundred percent), they'd actually be successful, relative to other cities. I don't see that. It's not only Buffalo, but also Pittsburgh, Rochester, Cleveland, Youngstown, as well as many others.

You see, I can generalize that region, and I can make you sound like someone who is merely stereotyping, and generalizing, which you are.

I'll not deny that a lot of people didn't want MARTA to make its way into certain suburban counties of Metro Atlanta at one period in time, and I can't blame them. I'm sure that you never lived here at the time, nor were you aware that much of the original opposition was over taxes that would be imposed on county residents. People didn't want to support a system that would benefit another county more than their own. However, overall, though, people didn't want to pay more out of their pocket, when they were comfortable driving if they had someplace to go.

Years later, when counties like Cobb and Gwinnett had up for review the chance to accept MARTA, many people didn't want it, for MARTA was associated with crime, and the areas where most of its riders utilized the system were in heavy crime areas. A correlation was made about MARTA and CRIME in people's minds, and they didn't want that to come to their community.

As far as the correlation with crime and black people, sure, a correlation was made. Many people liked their safe, low-crime white communities, and they didn't want people who committed crime to utilize public transit to make their way out to their communities. Sure, criminals can drive, too, but in the public consciousness, people associated MARTA with CRIME, for that is where most of the system was. Connecting CRIME with its riders, namely black people, a correlation was made. They saw that the areas where MARTA did not serve were overwhelmingly white, and the areas that MARTA served were overwhelmingly black. They also noted that where MARTA did not operate, there was very little crime, and that the areas where MARTA operated, there was a lot of crime. Therefore, they didn't want to see their communities transform into something like the areas where MARTA did operate.

Don't you see, this is basic common sense. People are more comfortable around those who look like themselves, and this has always been the case. This, coupled with the negative realities about MARTA gave good reason for certain areas rejecting MARTA.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Atlanta should be thankful us northeners moved here and finally brought the area and the state out of the 18th century. If not for that, the place would be another Birmingham or Jackson!
Another thing, what is so bad about Birmingham? It's not unlike many other US metropolitan areas with populations of roughly one million people. I'd argue that the quality of life is much better in Birmingham than in, say, Rochester or Buffalo, areas with roughly the same population.

If I remember correctly, Buffalo and Rochester used to be considered some of the largest cities in the US, with bright futures. Yet, today, they're at the same place as "18th Century" Birmingham.

Seriously, Birmingham is a nice areas, particularly the southside. Mountain Brook, Alabama has one of the highest quality of life in the United States. The hilliness and abundant foliage in the areas make it a great place to live.
Your poor, pitiful attitude, not based on actual experience, but on mere stereotypes makes you look like a very ignorant individual.

I'll not stereotype the north, just to let you know that there are many nice areas. I've found the Twin Cities to be very nice. Chicago has many nice suburbs, and much of New England is nice.

You see, there is good and bad, but you seem unable to realize that.

Sad

Old 12-29-2007, 02:59 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Years later, when counties like Cobb and Gwinnett had up for review the chance to accept MARTA, many people didn't want it, for MARTA was associated with crime, and the areas where most of its riders utilized the system were in heavy crime areas. A correlation was made about MARTA and CRIME in people's minds, and they didn't want that to come to their community.

As far as the correlation with crime and black people, sure, a correlation was made. Many people liked their safe, low-crime white communities, and they didn't want people who committed crime to utilize public transit to make their way out to their communities. Sure, criminals can drive, too, but in the public consciousness, people associated MARTA with CRIME, for that is where most of the system was. Connecting CRIME with its riders, namely black people, a correlation was made. They saw that the areas where MARTA did not serve were overwhelmingly white, and the areas that MARTA served were overwhelmingly black. They also noted that where MARTA did not operate, there was very little crime, and that the areas where MARTA operated, there was a lot of crime. Therefore, they didn't want to see their communities transform into something like the areas where MARTA did operate.

Don't you see, this is basic common sense. People are more comfortable around those who look like themselves, and this has always been the case. This, coupled with the negative realities about MARTA gave good reason for certain areas rejecting MARTA.
...racist.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
...racist.
The word racist, invented by communist Leon Trotsky. Wow, you're scaring me.

Everyone knows that yelling out the "racist" label is nothing more than a way to try to silence and delegitimize a person's statements.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Your high and mighty attitude is what a lot of people don't like about some northerners. Notice, I didn't generalize all northerners, and in fact I realize that most of them do not have the same attitudes that you do. In a similar manner, a small population of southerners may fit your stereotype, but that's a small percentage.

The fact that you use terms like "white trash", makes you sound like nothing more than a bigot; an individual who feels it is okay to smear white people of whom do not share the same beliefs.

I doubt many people really care what your personal opinions are. However, I must agree with people who state that if you don't like it here, you can always move back north.

You act as though it was the northerners that made Atlanta the "sophisticated" place that it is. You seem to have this idea that a certain persona characterizes the overall behavior of the people of one region, and that another attitude characterizes the overall behavior of the people of another. This generally coincides with many northerners' (not all, or most) associating northern attitudes merely with the urban areas, while forgetting that there is a LOT of rural attitudes and rural people in the north. Good people. Perhaps it is a media distinction, but it is very odd when you act like a few northerners made this place sophisticated, when southerners still occupy roughly seventy percent of metro Atlanta. That is, southerners still compromise roughly seventy percent of the overall population of metro Atlanta. You're probably unaware that we had highrise buildings (most of the influential architects on Atlanta's skyline have been southerners), museums, parks, zoos, theaters, nice neighborhoods, as well as other cultural ammenities, long before any significant northern population was here.

I've visited a lot of northern cities, and many of them look like they barely made it into the 1990s. Buffalo is one. I've never seen so many old cars as I have in the Buffalo area. Sure, it's most likely due to the terrible economy in that region, but a large swath of the north is economically stagnant. You'd think with all the "sophisticated" northerners they have (close to one hundred percent), they'd actually be successful, relative to other cities. I don't see that. It's not only Buffalo, but also Pittsburgh, Rochester, Cleveland, Youngstown, as well as many others.

You see, I can generalize that region, and I can make you sound like someone who is merely stereotyping, and generalizing, which you are.

I'll not deny that a lot of people didn't want MARTA to make its way into certain suburban counties of Metro Atlanta at one period in time, and I can't blame them. I'm sure that you never lived here at the time, nor were you aware that much of the original opposition was over taxes that would be imposed on county residents. People didn't want to support a system that would benefit another county more than their own. However, overall, though, people didn't want to pay more out of their pocket, when they were comfortable driving if they had someplace to go.

OK so I was a bit overboard with what I said. We northerners (I am actually a midwesterner) did not come down here and save Atlanta from being another Birmingham. And you are right about the Atlanta skyline- as I recall (correct me if wrong) most of it was designed by John Portman who is world famous and has projects throughout the USA and Europe. I was only trying to make the point that MARTA does not cause crime. The fact that it goes to high crime areas is largely because it was limited to those areas by the whites who were racist before "us northerners" from Chicago and NYC- who are used to having clean, safe and convenient transit systems came down here. (BTW MARTA serves Alpharetta and Sandy Springs too- hardly "crime meccas"). Therefore many of us feel that we should be allowed to have some say so or even vote again on the matter. I do not think a vote that was taken 40 years ago when the place was a hole in the wall southern town has any bearing today.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Another thing, what is so bad about Birmingham? It's not unlike many other US metropolitan areas with populations of roughly one million people. I'd argue that the quality of life is much better in Birmingham than in, say, Rochester or Buffalo, areas with roughly the same population.

If I remember correctly, Buffalo and Rochester used to be considered some of the largest cities in the US, with bright futures. Yet, today, they're at the same place as "18th Century" Birmingham.

Seriously, Birmingham is a nice areas, particularly the southside. Mountain Brook, Alabama has one of the highest quality of life in the United States. The hilliness and abundant foliage in the areas make it a great place to live.
Your poor, pitiful attitude, not based on actual experience, but on mere stereotypes makes you look like a very ignorant individual.

I'll not stereotype the north, just to let you know that there are many nice areas. I've found the Twin Cities to be very nice. Chicago has many nice suburbs, and much of New England is nice.

You see, there is good and bad, but you seem unable to realize that.

Sad
What is so bad about Birmingham? Nothing if you like a place that shuts down at 5PM and where the traffic lights downtown start blinking red at 7PM because there are no people or cars down there. And the rest of the place marred in decay and having one of the highest murder rates in the USA along with its little rinky dinky airport that sits in a dumpy smelly part of the city (ever drive down Tallapoosa Street?). No thank you. Atlanta might have its faults but it is a cosmopolitan vibrant city full of people that do not go home and lock the doors at 6PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta