U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:27 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,259,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It is.

I can't find the article now but the one in the AJC about the City of South Fulton, it is a law/statue that says for Fulton Industrial to become part of the CoA, the whole county has to vote to allow it.
Not exactly, but I see how an article at a glance can seem that way.

There is nothing special about the district compared to anywhere else.

Please see my post to see the different methods of annexation in Georgia: http://www.city-data.com/forum/34385499-post9.html

There are various methods involved. The catch is commercial properties can often be annexed easily, if the property owner wants to be in the city via 100 or 60% petition. However the land must be adjacent to the city. This means a majority of residents between CoA and Fulton Industrial would have to be petitioning as well or vote for it in referendum if another method is used (one of which requires the city and county to negotiate an agreement first; the other requiring a local act in the Georgia General Assembly).

This is because Fulton Industrial is not adjacent.

If Sandtown were annexed, it could become adjacent or would be much closer to being adjacent where no vote is needed.

The other problem is Fulton Industrial has many businesses that were originally fleeing the city to get more space for more modern facilities and were escaping high property taxes in Atlanta. As residential property values plummeted in the past, the city increased rates to keep overall collections the same, which pushed out many industrial businesses.

In many parts this benefited the city, because they still needed those jobs and those types of businesses nearby for the city to function and they're tax rates weren't going to attract that type of new investment easily.

The other problem is, unlike many other cases, I'm not sure the business owners will be quick to petition for annexation if given a chance. Fulton gives them they services and zoning they need to do business with lower taxes. Many times commercial property owners do want to be apart of a city for zoning benefits or more frequent police protection.

This means annexation would ultimately require one of 3 things:
1) The county agrees to it (it isn't a vote, but still the whole county leadership), which is unlikely to happen
2) an act of the general assembly, also unlikely to happen
3) They are part of a 60% annexation with mostly residential properties doing the 60% petitioning needed between Fulton Industrial and the CoA. That would be a huge chunk.

This could change -if- residential areas between Fulton Industrial and CoA annex to CoA.

The legislature was also quickly to not include the area when there were proposals for the City of South Fulton. They want to protect that area to remain and economically competitive as possible, because of the jobs and economic benefit that area provides.

However, this is an interesting point to bring up about Sandtown. If they don't annex, they run the risk of being included in a larger area that could incorporate as a separate city in a referendum in the future. In other words, if they didn't want to be in a new city... they can still be outvoted by other residential areas throughout the whole new proposed city. This has prompted whether to consider annexing with Atlanta, go with a new city, or try to stay unincorporated now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 AM

6,905 posts, read 9,591,544 times
Wish there was a map.

Guess I will bring this up. Hate that this subject has to be brought up, wish we were past it, but it has been such a big part of the COA and its boundaries for decades, it does need to be discussed.

Race.

There, I said it. The black voting population has been diminishing in the COA in the past decade or so even tho it is still the majority. Could the current leadership be open to this to bolster black numbers for the city? If Atlanta were to annex Druid Hills, that would balance that to some extent.

I hope both areas are annexed just to prove that this isn't forefront in anyone's agenda. Besides all that, the COA needs to have a bigger percentage of the metro population percentage wise. It really needs to be 500k minimum.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,259,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Wish there was a map.

Guess I will bring this up. Hate that this subject has to be brought up, wish we were past it, but it has been such a big part of the COA and its boundaries for decades, it does need to be discussed.

Race.

There, I said it. The black voting population has been diminishing in the COA in the past decade or so even tho it is still the majority. Could the current leadership be open to this to bolster black numbers for the city? If Atlanta were to annex Druid Hills, that would balance that to some extent.

I hope both areas are annexed just to prove that this isn't forefront in anyone's agenda. Besides all that, the COA needs to have a bigger percentage of the metro population percentage wise. It really needs to be 500k minimum.
The same question went through my mind, especially given that over 20% of the homes in that area don't currently pay property tax and that is likely to increase in the next decade or so. This is an issue, because some of the decision makers involved won't feel the property tax increases others will.

However, that is about whether the city accepts the petition.

Those residents, themselves separate of the city, must petition first. The petition must include 60% of all voters in the area and 60% of the land (per the owners).

I will say two things.

On the city side... It is typical they will welcome new residential properties with open arms. The few times they don't is like Decatur, where they are at a breaking point of needing a costly school upgrade or no growth.

On the residents side... I don't believe this is on their minds. I think they are really weighing being apart of the city of Atlanta vs a newly established city.

Edit:

Here is a rough map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...a32ea4557dcbb6

Of course when all is said and done it could include an extra subdivision or one less. This is why in the previous post I mentioned this brings the CoA really close to Fulton Industrial. Depending on where the lines are drawn it could make it adjacent or it could make it a few undeveloped parcels away.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:43 AM
bu2

8,973 posts, read 5,668,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The same question went through my mind, especially given that over 20% of the homes in that area don't currently pay property tax and that is likely to increase in the next decade or so. This is an issue, because some of the decision makers involved won't feel the property tax increases others will.

However, that is about whether the city accepts the petition.

Those residents, themselves separate of the city, must petition first. The petition must include 60% of all voters in the area and 60% of the land (per the owners).

I will say two things.

On the city side... It is typical they will welcome new residential properties with open arms. The few times they don't is like Decatur, where they are at a breaking point of needing a costly school upgrade or no growth.

On the residents side... I don't believe this is on their minds. I think they are really weighing being apart of the city of Atlanta vs a newly established city.

Edit:

Here is a rough map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...a32ea4557dcbb6

Of course when all is said and done it could include an extra subdivision or one less. This is why in the previous post I mentioned this brings the CoA really close to Fulton Industrial. Depending on where the lines are drawn it could make it adjacent or it could make it a few undeveloped parcels away.

This was apparently discussed in 2006. I looked up Sandtown in Wikipedia and it had a link with a map from a 2006 annexation proposal. If the 20,000 residents is accurate, I would guess it is a broader area than the "Sandtown" in the 2006 annexation proposal.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
This would be huge for CoA.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:04 AM

28,132 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Keisha Lance Bottoms, an Atlanta City Council Member [said]. “If it is their desire to annex into the city then we welcome them with open arms.”
Do the rest of us not have a say in this?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM

4,992 posts, read 3,478,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Correct.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM

22,159 posts, read 16,157,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Just those residents that request to be annexed, but how can annexing Sandtown be bad?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM

12,916 posts, read 20,985,787 times
Here is a website that has all kinds of information on Sandtown and the potential annexation:

Sandtown Community Association ®

Here is a great map of Sandtown:

http://www.sandtown.org/Sandtown%20O...11-05-2008.pdf

More information about annexation:

Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM

28,132 posts, read 24,652,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just those residents that request to be annexed, but how can annexing Sandtown be bad?
So any area can join a city by simply requesting to be annexed?

Seems like the existing city residents should be able to weigh in on whether it's good for the city. I'd like to see the data showing the pros and cons of any proposed annexation.

The COA is strapped to the max as it is, and doesn't even have money to build sidewalks, pave the streets or operate our parks. Our school system, despite being the most expensive in the state, still has many low performing schools.

How will this proposed annexation impact those critical factors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or