U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM

14,375 posts, read 7,085,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So any area can join a city by simply requesting to be annexed?

Seems like the existing city residents should be able to weigh in on whether it's good for the city. I'd like to see the data showing the pros and cons of any proposed annexation.

The COA is strapped to the max as it is, and doesn't even have money to build sidewalks, pave the streets or operate our parks. Our school system, despite being the most expensive in the state, still has many low performing schools.

How will this proposed annexation impact those critical factors?
I am thinking the same thing as above even though I do like Sandtown and they do have a very nice community down there, I just don't think it is beneficial for CoA to be annexing people just because they want to be in the city. Annexation would increase the areas that CoA is responsible for in all the above areas like parks, sidewalks, streets/infrastructure, and the school system. And FWIW, I am of a similar position for the Druid Hills annexation too even though I understand both POVs on the issue for both of those communities in regards to pros/cons.

I also thought about the racial aspect with Sandtown in that it is true that demographics within CoA are changing and I do personally believe (via my casual conversations and involvement with city officials) that there is an irrational fear of white people amongst many long standing members of local government agencies and bodies in CoA and I think that promoting a Sandtown annexation is just a counter move in regards to Druid Hills in order to even out the demographics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:39 AM

22,147 posts, read 16,140,747 times
I understand your concern arjay and each annexation should be researched on an individual basis. What it boils down to is Sandtown has money and stable home values= property taxes. The city does need to annex more commercial and industrail areas to offset the cost of providing services to mostly residential areas.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM

789 posts, read 640,163 times
We were thinking about moving to Sandtown Vista apartments (very nice looking) but way too car dependent have to drive 10-15mins to the nearest department or convenient store.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,253,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So any area can join a city by simply requesting to be annexed?

Seems like the existing city residents should be able to weigh in on whether it's good for the city. I'd like to see the data showing the pros and cons of any proposed annexation.

The COA is strapped to the max as it is, and doesn't even have money to build sidewalks, pave the streets or operate our parks. Our school system, despite being the most expensive in the state, still has many low performing schools.

How will this proposed annexation impact those critical factors?
yes/no

You get no direct say... ie. a referendum put to a vote, but...

It is up to the new area to petition properly, then it is up to the city to accept/reject.

The city has to agree to it. You do have an indirect say to your city leaders. That say will be strong if leaders believe it is a political liability, weak if they don't perceive that.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM

6,891 posts, read 9,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Here is a website that has all kinds of information on Sandtown and the potential annexation:

Sandtown Community Association

Here is a great map of Sandtown:

http://www.sandtown.org/Sandtown%20O...11-05-2008.pdf

More information about annexation:

Great links. Once again you prove to be CD's most underappreciated contributor.

I've said it before and will say it again: I say divvy up the remaining parts of South Fulton into the cities that already exist... Atlanta, East Point, College Park, Union City, Fairburn and Chattahoochee Hills. Let's put the end to Fulton County being in the municipal services business. The business of municipal services needs to go to... of all strange things... municipalities. Then let the process continue across the metro area. Counties need to do the basic work of a county and get out of the municipal services business. Too many layers of bureaucracy and this layer needs to go.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM
bu2

8,968 posts, read 5,658,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Great links. Once again you prove to be CD's most underappreciated contributor.

I've said it before and will say it again: I say divvy up the remaining parts of South Fulton into the cities that already exist... Atlanta, East Point, College Park, Union City, Fairburn and Chattahoochee Hills. Let's put the end to Fulton County being in the municipal services business. The business of municipal services needs to go to... of all strange things... municipalities. Then let the process continue across the metro area. Counties need to do the basic work of a county and get out of the municipal services business. Too many layers of bureaucracy and this layer needs to go.
The map in that link of the city of South Fulton is the most ridiculous thing I have every seen. Little islands strung out from NW Fulton to SE Fulton.

Even if South Fulton became a city, it should be north of South Fulton Parkway with the rest left to existing cities. But it would seem to make more sense for South Fulton Parkway to be Atlanta's eventual southern boundary.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,474,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The map in that link of the city of South Fulton is the most ridiculous thing I have every seen. Little islands strung out from NW Fulton to SE Fulton.

Even if South Fulton became a city, it should be north of South Fulton Parkway with the rest left to existing cities. But it would seem to make more sense for South Fulton Parkway to be Atlanta's eventual southern boundary.
You weren't kidding, no contiguity whatsoever:

Old 04-17-2014, 04:47 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,253,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Well what it is all of the remaining unincorporated land.

Chattahoochee Hills is to the south. Those large white spots are Palmetto, Union City, and Fairburn.

The small part that looks like it is almost surrounded is S. Fulton Pkwy. Union City, in particular, has aggressively annexed commercial land.... no doubt in an effort to giving zoning benefits to commercial land owners.

The new map just removed most of the Fulton Industrial Boulevard corridor.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Here's the solution:

Teal and purple east of 85 to College Park
Split dark orange along Fayette line between Union City and Fairburn
Eastern side of green area between Palmetto, Fairburn and Union City
Dark Orange between Union City and East Point, the small chunk east of 285 to College Park
All Blue and Pink to COA

The one problem area... the larger western part of the green area over to the river. The least developed section. To Fairburn? To Chattahoochee Hills to remain more rural? To COA?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well what it is all of the remaining unincorporated land.

Chattahoochee Hills is to the south. Those large white spots are Palmetto, Union City, and Fairburn.

The small part that looks like it is almost surrounded is S. Fulton Pkwy. Union City, in particular, has aggressively annexed commercial land.... no doubt in an effort to giving zoning benefits to commercial land owners.

The new map just removed most of the Fulton Industrial Boulevard corridor.
If memory serves me right, a lot of that land around South Fulton Parkway was taken by Union City prior to the last attempt of South Fulton to incorporate. A land grab before they were landlocked. Fairburn and Palmetto took in good sized chunks then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or