U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:23 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,154,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Yes that's it! Sorry, it's Bay VIEW Dr. Not Shore.

Street View doesn't really do it justice. Driving through there, you can see the lake behind the houses and each house has a private boat dock. It's really impressive.
Which sort of illustrates what the city is missing. A water element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 PM

21,248 posts, read 33,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Which sort of illustrates what the city is missing. A water element.
Chattahoochee River? Morgan Falls Reservoir?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,154,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Sorry, in all the times I've been in Downtown and Midtown, never saw them.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,856,947 times
In south Atlanta I recall the area around Brown's Mill being beautiful. Also, Jefferson Park in East Point, North Ave in Forest Park, Philips Dr in Morrow around the nature preserve, Lake Spivey and Lake Jodeco in Jonesboro, Eagles Landings in Henry, and pretty much all of Peachtree City.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:52 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,559,372 times
Looks like I have some new roads to travel on to see what you all are talking about

Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 PM
bu2

9,070 posts, read 5,770,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I think it's the parks, trees and general scenery. The four lane road is tough but what is tougher is having four narrow lanes and having to drive down Ponce holding your breath and hoping the other person does not sideswipe you bc of the even further narrowed lanes due to the new bicycle lane. LOL. It's beautiful but a little scary. Although I guess the part with the bicycle lanes is not the part that looks like a park anyway so I guess it all evens out.
Its harrowing. I once had a side view mirror damaged because a trash can was too close to the road.

Its not the lack of width that makes it attractive.

One of the prettiest parts of Houston is near Hermann Park. Main St. and Fannin St. are about 50 ft apart with a grassy tree lined median separating them for about a half mile and each are 6 lanes. The Houston light rail line runs there also. They're lined by oaks with Hermann Park on the one side and Rice University on the other. Not sure how to do a link without rekeying 100 characters. But if you look at Main St. @ Remington Place in Houston, Texas on Google maps street view, you get the view of Mecom Fountain at the traffic circle ahead near the end of this stretch.

Ponce would be a lot more pleasant with 11-12 foot lanes and a periodic left turn lane. Lullwater and Springdale from Ponce to N. Decatur are very nice stretches, especially this time of year with the azaleas, dogwoods and the other flowers and flowering plants.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,856,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Chattahoochee isn't really accessible easily. Maybe one day Cumberland will be big enough that we'll have a river skyline.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,559,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
It used to be said that the most beautiful stretch in Atlanta was Habersham Rd. between West Paces and Peachtree Battle. I still make a point of driving it whenever I get to town, as I have friends who live at the end of Woodward Way across from Bobby Jones. As kids, my brothers and I used to sneak onto Bobby Jones and North Fulton Golf courses and search the water hazards for errant golf balls which we would sell to golfers outside the pro shops!
I drove this route today and you are right. That section has to be in the top 5 of most beautiful routes in the city. I took Paces Ferry east of 75 afterwards and it was amazing. I felt like I was in the Hollywood Hills

Old 04-20-2014, 06:58 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,604,262 times
yesterday as i was going to record store day, it was overcast and raining... and i've never seen inman park look so beautiful. it looked like somewhere in europe. i would recommend the next time it's raining, especially while the spring blooms are still out, that you guys take a drive through inman park. it's literally breathtaking.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:08 PM

3,186 posts, read 3,066,225 times
The difference between "...just about any generic neighborhood in Alpharetta," & Bay View Drive at Lake Jodeco east of Jonesboro is that the Jodeco location down in Clayton County is a water's edge one.
Much of Alpharetta is very attractive but there truly is no comparison here given the lake shore setting found on Bay View Drive.
Clayton wins hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or