U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM

3,186 posts, read 3,059,998 times

Advertisements

I wrote Lake Jodeco a moment ago and meant Spivey. Lake Spivey is where Bay View Drive is located and is much larger than it's smaller twin that lies directly to the south. I drove on Jodeco Road this afternoon hence my temporary confusion.
Compared to Lake Spivey, the "lakes" in Alpharetta are ponds, ranging in size from tiny to medium at best.
Spivey is large enough to generate a cooling breeze in it's lake shore areas on a hot summer day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 PM
bu2

9,045 posts, read 5,748,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The Chattahoochee isn't really accessible easily. Maybe one day Cumberland will be big enough that we'll have a river skyline.
What do you need to make it easy? There are over a half dozen parks with hiking trails in the area along the Chatahoochee.

One thing Atlanta does with its creeks and rivers is to keep them mostly in the natural state. Thus, you don't have paths along the most of the waterways like the Riverwalk in San Antonio or around White Rock Lake in Dallas or Lake Michigan in Chicago or San Francisco Bay in San Francisco (a good part of San Francisco was a shallow part of the bay that got filled in). Keeping it natural vs. modifying it to make it easily hikeable/bikeable is a choice. Houston uses its bayous for flood control and has most of them deepened and partly lined with concrete to improve waterflow. Part of that means clearing the area, so they have miles and miles of hike and bike trails along their bayous. But you can't say that a concrete lined bayou is particularly attractive. Its also not as attractive to wildlife.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,850,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
What do you need to make it easy? There are over a half dozen parks with hiking trails in the area along the Chatahoochee.

One thing Atlanta does with its creeks and rivers is to keep them mostly in the natural state. Thus, you don't have paths along the most of the waterways like the Riverwalk in San Antonio or around White Rock Lake in Dallas or Lake Michigan in Chicago or San Francisco Bay in San Francisco (a good part of San Francisco was a shallow part of the bay that got filled in). Keeping it natural vs. modifying it to make it easily hikeable/bikeable is a choice. Houston uses its bayous for flood control and has most of them deepened and partly lined with concrete to improve waterflow. Part of that means clearing the area, so they have miles and miles of hike and bike trails along their bayous. But you can't say that a concrete lined bayou is particularly attractive. Its also not as attractive to wildlife.
I agree about the walking trails, but most people don't even notice them.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:13 AM

3,993 posts, read 4,593,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The difference between "...just about any generic neighborhood in Alpharetta," & Bay View Drive at Lake Jodeco east of Jonesboro is that the Jodeco location down in Clayton County is a water's edge one.
Much of Alpharetta is very attractive but there truly is no comparison here given the lake shore setting found on Bay View Drive.
Clayton wins hands down.
tada!

http://goo.gl/maps/O0Rbw

Old 04-21-2014, 10:19 AM

i'm just being devil's advocate here, but lake windward is about as large as lake spivey. niskey lake is much smaller, but is the same sort of setup. i'm not saying that the natural setting isn't beautiful, but the whole '90s suburban neighbourhood surrounding a lake' thing is not terribly uncommon and doesn't do anything for me.

if you like lake spivey, you should check out the campus of clayton state university— that is really something unique for a college campus. it's a shame they took out the famous 'bent tree', though.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:36 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,999,446 times
any streets in particular? it's often hard for me to figure out exactly where inman park is located (as compared to candler park and the other neighborhoods over in that area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
yesterday as i was going to record store day, it was overcast and raining... and i've never seen inman park look so beautiful. it looked like somewhere in europe. i would recommend the next time it's raining, especially while the spring blooms are still out, that you guys take a drive through inman park. it's literally breathtaking.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
any streets in particular? it's often hard for me to figure out exactly where inman park is located (as compared to candler park and the other neighborhoods over in that area)
try driving around this area:

http://goo.gl/maps/yxKWt

favourite streets are euclid, cleburne, and elizabeth, among others.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM

3,186 posts, read 3,059,998 times
Here's a link for some info on Lake Spivey that also has a couple of photos. It is nearly 2.5 times larger than Lake Windward &, combined with the adjacent Lake Jodeco, for which I can't find an acreage size, it is a lovely spot. When built it apparently was billed as the largest privately owned lake in Georgia.
When I ride through the area on Jodeco Road & pass on the causeway that separates the two lakes, I always find it to be breathtakingly beautiful!
I lived in the City of Atlanta for over 30 years & certainly appreciate urban living and amenities on one hand but on the
other hand I've now lived 1.5 miles from the lake for a few years & am delighted to be near such a beautiful lake area.

Bryant
You are correct in that the Clayton State campus is surprising. If you come down that way again, make a side trip over the the lakes & also to the Clayton International Park which is just north of Lake Spivey.
As you probably already know, there is much more to Clayton County than the gloom and doom reputation that is so popular & conducive to the piling on Clayton sentiment that you see in general.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Spiveyhttp://

Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,999,446 times
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
try driving around this area:

http://goo.gl/maps/yxKWt

favourite streets are euclid, cleburne, and elizabeth, among others.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:06 PM

13,198 posts, read 16,040,585 times
North Peachtree Parkway is the most beautiful drive in Peachtree City and home to the city's most exclusive / expensive neighborhoods. It's like driving through the mountains.

Redwine Road in Fayetteville is also very impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or