Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,682,567 times

Advertisements

I would never pay a registration fee for a public school. If I wanted to enroll my children in APS it should be free because, I live in CoA and pay property tax in CoA. I have no problem with fees for sports or optional activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:24 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,119,466 times
In IL, the reg fee was in addition to property taxes and money allocated from the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I would never pay a registration fee for a public school. If I wanted to enroll my children in APS it should be free because, I live in CoA and pay property tax in CoA. I have no problem with fees for sports or optional activities.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,349,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
In IL, the reg fee was in addition to property taxes and money allocated from the state.
Yup:

When public school isn’t free

It's outrageous. What do they do with people who can't afford to pay it? There should be no fee or monetary impediment to graduating with a high school diploma. I am very glad I don't live in Illinios anymore. I would be furious if I had to pay school fees on top of their already ridiculous property taxes.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 PM

It was just 100 for school in the 80s and 90s. If parents will pay hundreds of dollars for sports uniforms, I really don't see the big deal in paying so your child can have workbooks and other consumables. Now I think I understand why we always had workbooks for every subject in elementary school in IL and my neice here in Georgia has nevet had a workbook. Workbooks cost money. I was really mad when I learned the Fulton County schools do not provide workbooks and the kids are not supposed to take their textbooks home either. Sheesh. Charge a bit of money and give the kids the education they deserve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Yup:

When public school isn’t free

It's outrageous. What do they do with people who can't afford to pay it? There should be no fee or monetary impediment to graduating with a high school diploma. I am very glad I don't live in Illinios anymore. I would be furious if I had to pay school fees on top of their already ridiculous property taxes.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
It was just 100 for school in the 80s and 90s. If parents will pay hundreds of dollars for sports uniforms, I really don't see the big deal in paying so your child can have workbooks and other consumables.
There is a significant difference between paying money to participate in an extra-curricular activity (sports, band, drama, club, etc.) and paying money to get a core education. So I do see a big deal in being forced to pay for registering at a school, for workbooks, textbooks, and other items that are required or expected to get an education. Should we also pay a toilet paper fee to the school? That's a consumable item.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM

2,239 posts, read 5,817,765 times
Public schools have a mandate to provide a "free appropriate public education" (FAPE) to eligible students with disabilities under Federal Law:

Free Appropriate Public Education under Section 504

I don't see how public schools can require payment for education they are mandated to provide. I realize that not all students fall under IDEA/Section 504, but would they be exempt from the "mandatory" fee? And what happens to those who won't/can't pay? Are they turned away at the door? Certainly not.

I just don't see how this can be accomplished in reality.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 AM

I think that the idea is that it is for your children's education, that that is important enough to contribute to. Elementary schools in Buckhead do it but call it a foundation contribution. The parents recognize the govt allottment is not enough and I guess it's important enough to them to contribute additional money. I guess it's a focus on improving your child's core education....
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
There is a significant difference between paying money to participate in an extra-curricular activity (sports, band, drama, club, etc.) and paying money to get a core education. So I do see a big deal in being forced to pay for registering at a school, for workbooks, textbooks, and other items that are required or expected to get an education. Should we also pay a toilet paper fee to the school? That's a consumable item.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I think that the idea is that it is for your children's education, that that is important enough to contribute to. Elementary schools in Buckhead do it but call it a foundation contribution. The parents recognize the govt allottment is not enough and I guess it's important enough to them to contribute additional money. I guess it's a focus on improving your child's core education....
I don't object to voluntarily contributing to children's education (mine and others). I'm fine with that. And you are right that the government allottment isn't usually enough to provide a quality education. (The government budget should be enough, but that's a different conversation.) I don't think it is appropriate to require payment for registration and for material that is essential to education.

Seriously ... $100 or more just to register a child for school? And you don't find this outrageous? This country has taken pride in the fact that it provides education for all children, and has done so since the mid-1800s. These fees are a step in the wrong direction.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:50 AM

847 posts, read 1,450,124 times
Outside of property taxes, parents also have to pay for school supplies, activities, uniforms, and so on. Even if public school is "free", no one can skate through the year without having to come out of pocket for something. A yearly registration fee on top of that would be ridiculous.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:25 PM

I don't know the ins and outs but it has been going on in IL (in reality).since at least as early as the 80s. I know that for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Public schools have a mandate to provide a "free appropriate public education" (FAPE) to eligible students with disabilities under Federal Law:

Free Appropriate Public Education under Section 504

I don't see how public schools can require payment for education they are mandated to provide. I realize that not all students fall under IDEA/Section 504, but would they be exempt from the "mandatory" fee? And what happens to those who won't/can't pay? Are they turned away at the door? Certainly not.

I just don't see how this can be accomplished in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta