Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,813,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
Do you live in Decatur?
Nope, I live closer into the city in North Ormewood Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM

91 posts, read 151,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
There is a new gated subdivision with a playground, swim and tennis and large houses on smallish lots that is a 5 min walk to Mountain Park Park --which is a nice park with playgrounds, trails, tennis etc. it is called Garner Creek. I know Emory/CDC people live there, and I believe it has a healthy mix of races and cultures--maybe more Asian than typical. Its elementary school is the top one for the Parkview Cluster. This subdivision is 75% sold out last I checked, and really are the only homes in the area that are selling well --they sell from the high 300s to the mid 400s-- but there may be none of the 300s left. If you want nice 1990s homes on bigger lots with a small lake and swim/tennis priced from the mid 200s to the mid-high 300s there homes with lots but close to that park. There is a subdivision across from the park on Pounds Road--the catch is that it's elementary school, Mountain Park is the lowest performing in the area, but, I have heard good things about it, and would send my kids there--(but that could change in 5 years). I am sure there are others--Knight elementary and Arcado elementary also feed into Parkview, and are well regarded elementary schools. Outside of the new subdivision, I would suggest bidding low on all but the most competitively priced used homes in the area, almost nothing over 200K is selling right now. A little bit further out is the arguably better Brookwood High school zone with a much greater selection of newer homes. (The high schools and middle schools in both zones are huge, and the elementary schools are not small--if that bothers you).
These are all in Lilburn? If we go OTP we are thinking Norcross, Peach Tree Corners and Lilburn.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:37 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,579,812 times
I'm considering an eventual move to ATL within a few years (among many options), and while I value non-car based lifestyles and have noted the touted schools (e.g. Grady), there would be a strong chance I'd move to somewhere near or out of the perimeter. The reasons are this:
(1) I would like to grow up somewhere with a large foreign born, and Asian population. I realize acceptance may not be an issue at many schools that do not have this population, but since one of my child's parents in foreign-born, and I grew up in a school where the vast majority were foreign born we like this environment.
(2) I don't want to go to a school that essentially consists of segregated poor black and rich white students on different tracks. From what I can glean, this seems to be what is happening at places like Grady. Gentrification is pushing out the poorer students, and they are tracked into lower classes. Meanwhile, rich white students are tracked into the more demanding classes. Due to current trends, I doubt this will change, except for the areas to become even more unaffordable (another barrier for us) and perhaps fully gentrify.

Note that proximity to the CDC on Buford is likely a priority as well.
Any input on this dilemma is appreciated.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,765,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
These are all in Lilburn? If we go OTP we are thinking Norcross, Peach Tree Corners and Lilburn.
Parkview is Lilburn, Brookwood is more Lilburn-Snellville--each high school has 3 to 4 times the number of students that go to Decatur High. Also in the area is the poorly ranked Berkmar High School, and the arguably underrated Shiloh High School.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:39 AM

So people have no suggestions? Or they think I'm trolling? Do I smell?

Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,722,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Yep. And you can walk to them in most in-town neighborhoods instead of needing to drive.

I have been thinking of buying into the swim club that is less than two blocks away from my place. Or there are the city facilities that are usually available for inexpensive fees or free.
Exactly, obviously they have never visited Grant or Piedmont Parks.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,765,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I'm considering an eventual move to ATL within a few years (among many options), and while I value non-car based lifestyles and have noted the touted schools (e.g. Grady), there would be a strong chance I'd move to somewhere near or out of the perimeter. The reasons are this:
(1) I would like to grow up somewhere with a large foreign born, and Asian population. I realize acceptance may not be an issue at many schools that do not have this population, but since one of my child's parents in foreign-born, and I grew up in a school where the vast majority were foreign born we like this environment.
(2) I don't want to go to a school that essentially consists of segregated poor black and rich white students on different tracks. From what I can glean, this seems to be what is happening at places like Grady. Gentrification is pushing out the poorer students, and they are tracked into lower classes. Meanwhile, rich white students are tracked into the more demanding classes. Due to current trends, I doubt this will change, except for the areas to become even more unaffordable (another barrier for us) and perhaps fully gentrify.

Note that proximity to the CDC on Buford is likely a priority as well.
Any input on this dilemma is appreciated.
You could look at Chamblee HS which is (I believe) the school zone for that branch of the CDC. It is more highly rated than Grady HS on greatschools.com, and is majority-minority school (but, then so is Grady). I think it still may contain a magnet school which would skew its test scores. There should be more affordable homes in the area.
The Parkview School Cluster is 30min away without traffic and has a very diverse student population, and is a good school. Not sure what the "with traffic" commute would be, but I would guess that if you leave by 6:30 it should be around 45min. The neighborhoods vary greatly in diversity (the county used to be almost all white, and there are a lot of neighborhoods with a lot of empty nesters). When the time comes, it should be easy to find a neighborhood that fits your desired demographic.
You also should look at the Norcross area, which is closer, but I don't know much about it.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
You could look at Chamblee HS which is (I believe) the school zone for that branch of the CDC. It is more highly rated than Grady HS on greatschools.com, and is majority-minority school (but, then so is Grady). I think it still may contain a magnet school which would skew its test scores. There should be more affordable homes in the area.
The Parkview School Cluster is 30min away without traffic and has a very diverse student population, and is a good school. Not sure what the "with traffic" commute would be, but I would guess that if you leave by 6:30 it should be around 45min. The neighborhoods vary greatly in diversity (the county used to be almost all white, and there are a lot of neighborhoods with a lot of empty nesters). When the time comes, it should be easy to find a neighborhood that fits your desired demographic.
You also should look at the Norcross area, which is closer, but I don't know much about it.
Thanks!
Again, this is far ahead of schedule and far from definite, but I try to make my work procrastination at least somewhat productive.
Currently I was looking at a more in-town cluster to satisfy the desire to be in an older, denser neighborhood that would likely have access to the MARTA (Grady, North Atlanta clusters), then others close to the buford highway to be close to where we'd do a lot of grocery shopping, go to restaurants, work, etc..., and have a more diverse (by my definition) middle class student population and affordable housing. lI saw Dunwoody was noted as walkable so am considering that. Also noted Chamblee, and perhaps Norcross. But I'm not sure about all these places as for living. Duluth is too far out for us, for sure. We hate, hate hate, long daily car commutes. For that reason, Parkview looks likely to be a bit inconvenient for us, but I'll look into it.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,803 times
You might also check out Avondale Estates. Museum School/Druid Hills HS track is good. Lovely swim tennis club. Near farmers market, marta, also near decatur.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:34 PM
bu2

23,874 posts, read 14,671,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDL View Post
You might also check out Avondale Estates. Museum School/Druid Hills HS track is good. Lovely swim tennis club. Near farmers market, marta, also near decatur.
Isn't Museum School admission by lottery? Avondale Elementary is really, really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta