Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times

Advertisements

Because we really live in an oligarchy. The wishes of the people do not rule this country.

The US is an oligarchy, study concludes - Telegraph

We have to put up with the BS from ATT, Comcast, the airlines, large food companies, automakers, etc because money is allowed into politics. Keep making the central government stronger and this will continue to get worse. Make corporate/special interest donations illegal and stop concentrating power and watch how free and healthy this country will get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM

668 posts, read 993,989 times
There is no way on this earth that I would ever use Google fiber. I'm amazed at how many people want to stick it to the oligarchies of the last and current generations by running into the arms of one that is growing much more powerful and intrusive than the telecom and cable companies could ever hope to be.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
There is no way on this earth that I would ever use Google fiber. I'm amazed at how many people want to stick it to the oligarchies of the last and current generations by running into the arms of one that is growing much more powerful and intrusive than the telecom and cable companies could ever hope to be.
I'm glad you see the problem with many pro-google, anti-telecom that exist out there.

There is a certain trendiness and positive brand perception people have of Google.

Nonetheless, they represent a new competitive entrant at wireline communications to the home. I will welcome any additional competitive pressure they will provide.

The main issue we need to look out for is we can't have asymmetrical regulation. (ie. Google doesn't have to follow regulations AT&T would for the same service)

Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
You are very very correct. Google generally is a fantastic company, for now. But data is power, and they have too much of it already. I have no desire to move over to Google. I like to diversify my data.

But I do love that they are coming in and creating panic in the lumbering state protected monopolies. More ATT than Comcast has been behaving badly, as shown by links I have posted. Screw them.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:22 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
Quote:
Maybe it helps that I work in the industry, but I know enough to understand that Google and AT&T are 100% equals when it comes to their business interest in my personal information. If you really think there's a substantial difference between allowing AT&T, Comcast, or Google to sell you your bandwidth, you've been deluded.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:26 AM

On the other hand, Google has a vested interest in getting more consumers faster access to the internet. The more people use the internet, and the faster and more reliable their service is, the more advertisements they'll see, so the more money Google makes. AT&T's vested interest is in maximizing profit from existing sources of revenue, which means they have a profit disincentive to spend money on increasing bandwidth and reliability.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM

668 posts, read 993,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
On the other hand, Google has a vested interest in getting more consumers faster access to the internet. The more people use the internet, and the faster and more reliable their service is, the more advertisements they'll see, so the more money Google makes. AT&T's vested interest is in maximizing profit from existing sources of revenue, which means they have a profit disincentive to spend money on increasing bandwidth and reliability.
Of course both companies have a vested interest in your personal information, but the difference is in the amount and scope of what you are turning over.

And Google's vested interest isn't in faster service to show you a greater amount of ads, its in learning more about your online habits and usage. They don't make money by selling ads to you. They make money by selling you to the advertisers.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
And Google's vested interest isn't in faster service to show you a greater amount of ads, its in learning more about your online habits and usage. They don't make money by selling ads to you. They make money by selling you to the advertisers.
Which, again, distinguishes it in no way from AT&T, Comcast, Cox, Charter, Verizon, the list goes on and on.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 PM

417 posts, read 593,966 times
Verizon FIOS is true fiber optic but if you live in an area that has AT&T
Uverse then verizon fios won't go in that territory.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
For the last week, there have been dozens of utility workers in my Roswell subdivision marking all of the gas, cable, electrical lines (lots of flags and spray-painted lines everywhere). I asked a worker what it was all about and he said ATT was putting in new high speed internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta