U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:44 AM

191 posts, read 267,734 times

Advertisements

Ok, obviously Atlanta and especially DeKalb county are generally gay-friendly... but I am wondering about Brookhaven in particular. Does anyone have any specific localized knowledge of the residents/officials in City of Brookhaven as well as the historic neighborhood of Brookhaven. How is business/government culture? the residents?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM

23,102 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewplanner View Post
Ok, obviously Atlanta and especially DeKalb county are generally gay-friendly... but I am wondering about Brookhaven in particular. Does anyone have any specific localized knowledge of the residents/officials in City of Brookhaven as well as the historic neighborhood of Brookhaven. How is business/government culture? the residents?

thanks.
Oh God, yes. That's all I have to say.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM

42 posts, read 99,168 times
I don't think Brookhaven is anti-gay. But I do think that most gays want areas that are a little more diverse and alternative than Brookhaven.

75% of all my friends have moved to Brookhaven over the past 5 years. All of them are educated and all of them have young families (either married or married with young kids). And all of them are southern conservatives. Without fail, the guys are almost all your quintessential SEC-school frat guys who now have good jobs and young families. Brookhaven provides a nice mix of surburban features (bigger yards, garages, no sidewalks -- though that's not a feature) but can still provide a reasonable commute to downtown or midtown and a light smattering of urban amenities. Brookhaven seems to be pretty homogeneous as well.

As an example of its conservative nature, shortly after Brookhaven became a city a couple of years ago its city council began to try and regulate a nearby strip club -- the Pink Pony -- out of business.

All of my friends who are more progressive or in any way alternative live elsewhere in areas that provide a little more diversity and character.

This is just my anecdotal experience. Others' MMV.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepsinsc View Post
I can't opine if an area is "gay-friendly" or not, but here's my $.02 on Brookhaven. You can then decide if it might suit you.

75% of all my friends have moved to Brookhaven over the past 5 years. All of them are educated and all of them have young families (either married or married with young kids). And all of them are southern conservatives. Without fail, the guys are almost all your quintessential SEC-school frat guys who now have good jobs and young families. I speculate that Brookhaven attracts this group of people because if you're southern middle class, you were likely raised in a suburb, and Brookhaven provides a nice mix of surburban features (bigger yards, garages, no sidewalks) but can still provide reasonable commute to downtown or midtown and a light selection of urban amenities. Brookhaven seems to be pretty homogeneous as well.

As an example of its conservative nature, shortly after Brookhaven became a city a couple of years ago its city council began to try and regulate a nearby strip club -- the Pink Pony -- out of business.

All of my friends who are more progressive or in any way alternative live elsewhere in areas that provide a little more diversity and character.
And I have a gazillion friends that live there that are as gay as geese. Ever heard of Lipps, the Drag Cabaret? In Brookhaven, and thriving. It is not monolithic, and it not Frat Row. The part of it that might be seen that way is quite small.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:31 PM

191 posts, read 267,734 times
Hmmm. ok thx.. anyone else have insight? I have several straight friends who live in Brookhaven, two of which were born-raised... one family is from Belgium and they are pretty established there and of course very culturally progressive. Pink Pony isnt exactly a gay bar to my knowledge... but I understand what you are saying. I know that the current council is trying to bring back discounted alcohol since the current ordinance bans happy hours.

Do you know anything about the people who run the new incorporated city? such as the staff/employees of Brookhaven? Council/Mayor?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. ok thx.. anyone else have insight? I have several straight friends who live in Brookhaven, two of which were born-raised... one family is from Belgium and they are pretty established there and of course very culturally progressive. Pink Pony isnt exactly a gay bar to my knowledge... but I understand what you are saying. I know that the current council is trying to bring back discounted alcohol since the current ordinance bans happy hours.

Do you know anything about the people who run the new incorporated city? such as the staff/employees of Brookhaven? Council/Mayor?
Yes. Pink Pony is a nude dance club; nothing gay about it.
I have a friend who is a habitual neighborhood activist. She divorced and moved to Brookhaven where she quickly got a grip.
If you are gay there, you will not get a hassle. Period. To assume otherwise is just silly. Brookhaven is a variety of people and it extends well beyond its historic district.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,066,887 times
Quote:

Brookhaven has been incorporated less than a year -- so I would say there isn't much of a city culture there yet.

I think most of the elected officials trend conservative, especially in economic issues, but are probably more liberal socially.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:08 PM

42 posts, read 99,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If you are gay there, you will not get a hassle. Period. To assume otherwise is just silly.
I agree no one is going to get hassled. Perhaps I misunderstand what the term "gay friendly means," but I assumed it meant much more than "not getting hassled." My point was simply that there are more progressive and diverse parts of town.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM

5,176 posts, read 2,824,078 times
I'm gay and live in Brookhaven. I can't say that I've ever experienced any negative reactions here. I have another gay friend who works at the Kroger. The city government is fairly conservative however I don't really think most of the citizens are, despite having voted for it. Someone did a poll and like 70+% of the citizens thought the Pink Pony thing was total nonsense and the city was wasting time and money on it.

It does have a more suburban feel so if you are looking for density or diversity like Midtown you won't get that. I like it because I like having a garage to work on my car, which is hard to get in Midtown.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:28 AM

329 posts, read 524,496 times
I know some gays that live in Brookhaven. My wife says the LA Fitness in Town Brookhaven is full of gays. i dont think you will have any problems if you do move to Brookhaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or