Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,967 times

Advertisements

I am potentially moving to the Atlanta area and love the style of homes found in the Highland, Emory University areas, but they are out of my price range. Where else can I find this style of home? I'm assuming it would be outside 285. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 04:50 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilson44 View Post
I am potentially moving to the Atlanta area and love the style of homes found in the Highland, Emory University areas, but they are out of my price range. Where else can I find this style of home? I'm assuming it would be outside 285. Thanks!
In what city, town and/or zip code will you be working? That is crucial because metro Atlanta's severe rush hour congestion to and from your job will often be the major determinant in where you will live as a newcomer and not necessarily the style of home that you desire on a limited budget.

Know where you will be working first and then look for the type of housing that you desire on your budget relatively close to where you will be working.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:20 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
Almost every neighborhood in Atlanta (ITP) has inventory that almost certainly includes this style of home. Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Summerhill, West End, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, etc. etc. have plenty of inventory of bungalow (front porch) homes that would be cheaper than those in neighborhoods like Virginia Highland or Inman Park. Outside of 285, not as much. Probably some in the Smyrna area, but aside from that, you'd have to look in the historical population centers, which are all ITP. OTP is majority subdivisions with newer housing stock, ranch style homes, or other styles from when they were built (50's and forward).

Unless somebody knows otherwise, you'll probably be looking ITP.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:23 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Almost every neighborhood in Atlanta (ITP) has inventory that almost certainly includes this style of home. Grant Park, Ormewood Park, Summerhill, West End, East Atlanta, Kirkwood, etc. etc. have plenty of inventory of bungalow (front porch) homes that would be cheaper than those in neighborhoods like Virginia Highland or Inman Park. Outside of 285, not as much. Probably some in the Smyrna area, but aside from that, you'd have to look in the historical population centers, which are all ITP. OTP is majority subdivisions with newer housing stock, ranch style homes, or other styles from when they were built (50's and forward).

Unless somebody knows otherwise, you'll probably be looking ITP.
You are correct for the most part, but you can also find bungalow-style homes in just about all of the older/historic centers of the suburban towns (and the prices will often be much, much cheaper than what one would find ITP).

For example, if the OP was working in the Emory Area, he/she might want to look in the historic part of Clarkston.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:46 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You are correct for the most part, but you can also find bungalow-style homes in just about all of the older/historic centers of the suburban towns (and the prices will often be much, much cheaper than what one would find ITP).

For example, if the OP was working in the Emory Area, he/she might want to look in the historic part of Clarkston.
Really aren't a lot of places with the brick bungalows. If you like the wood, then there are a lot.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Really aren't a lot of places with the brick bungalows. If you like the wood, then there are a lot.

True--and the OP can decide want s/he wants.

The point is...there are a lot of bungalow-style homes in Metro Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
You can find bungalow style homes for a lot cheaper in East Atlanta, Ormewood, Adair Park, & West End

Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Thank y'all! These responses were really helpful! I don't really have a preference in brick vs. wood it all depends on the neighborhood around it (at least in my eyes). I work in real estate and fixing up old houses, so location really isn't a big deal for me. My girlfriend will be working at Emory Hospital

Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Thank y'all! These responses were really helpful! I don't really have a preference in brick vs. wood it all depends on the neighborhood around it (at least in my eyes). I work in real estate and fixing up old houses, so location really isn't a big deal for me. My girlfriend will be working at Emory Hospital
Location may not necessarily be a big deal for you, but with traffic often being a significant challenge in and around the Emory University area (because of the severely-limited road network and transit options in and around the Emory U. area), location likely will be a big deal for your girlfriend if she works at Emory Hospital on the campus of Emory University.

BTW, which of the 4 major Emory Hospitals will your girlfriend be working at?....the one at Emory University (Emory University Hospital), the one in Midtown Atlanta (Emory University Hospital Midtown), the one in the Perimeter Center area (Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital) or the one in Johns Creek (Emory Johns Creek Hospital)?

That's because 3 of the 4 major Emory hospitals (Emory U., Midtown, St. Joseph's) can be difficult to get to and from if one has to commute towards and away from or into and out of the city during morning and evening rush hours during the regular work week and even during peak hours on some weekends.

The fourth Emory Hospital (Johns Creek) can be somewhat easy to get to if one lives close-by in the immediate area of the hospital or one reverse commutes from the direction of the I-285 Perimeter by way of Georgia Highway 141 which is the major arterial thoroughfare that runs to and from the area of the Emory Johns Creek Hospital. Though Emory Johns Creek Hospital can be difficult to get if one has to drive from across the region to get to it during peak hours.

All 4 hospitals are relatively easy to get to during off-peak traffic hours when traffic is much lighter.

If your girlfriend works at one of the 2 Emory University hospitals in the city (Emory U. or Midtown), you may want to confine your search for a bungalow-style home to somewhere inside of the I-285 Perimeter and/or somewhere just outside of it in the Intown/Inside-the-Perimeter/At-the-Perimeter locations that other posters have recommended so that your girlfriend's life will be much-easier, particularly if she has to commute to and from work during morning and evening rush hours.

If your girlfriend works at the Emory Hospital in the Perimeter Center area (Emory Saint Joseph's) just inside of I-285 on the Northside, you may want to look to see what you can find in Inside-the-Perimeter Northside areas like Brookhaven and maybe Chamblee, and Outside-the-Perimeter areas like historic downtown Roswell.

You can also check areas like Smyrna (which is a post-suburban city that is in the midst of an urbanization renaissance) and historic downtown Marietta in Northwest metro Cobb County and historic downtown Norcross in Northeast metro Gwinnett County, though the commutes between places like Smyrna, Marietta, Norcross and the Perimeter Center areas will be very-rough at times by way of the I-285 Top End Perimeter which can be a peak-hour nightmare on many days (even on some weekends).

If your girlfriend works at the Emory Hospital in Johns Creek (which is a very-young recently built-up suburban area with no mature development around for several miles), the closest areas that MIGHT have the type of bungalow-style housing that you are looking for are the historic downtown areas of Norcross, Duluth, Buford and Lawrenceville. Though any quantities of bungalow-type homes in those areas will likely be extremely-limited if they are to be found in those outlying historic suburban downtowns.

Commutes to and from Emory Johns Creek Hospital will also will be challenging from (and to) places like Buford and Lawrenceville if your girlfriend will have to commute to and from work during peak traffic hours.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Thank you for the in depth response! Very helpful! She will be at the university hospital
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta