U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2007, 12:10 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,784,051 times
Reputation: 3540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcclellan View Post
It wouldn't matter what position he was interested in or asking about since these are averages. Averages are the mean of many numbers. Generally, the companies listed, on "average" pay more than other companies not listed whether it is a janitorial position or an executive level position. It wasn't one positon that the salaries encompassed, it was many positions in the company.
The post is still pointless- so what if Goldman Sachs has the highest "average" salary- if you don't have the skill set to work for GS, it's immaterial, so why bother? Now, if you were looking to go to work at a financial firm, then asking "which financial firm has the highest average salaries" would make sense, but to ask such a blanket statement is still pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Smyrna, GA
23 posts, read 81,045 times
Reputation: 15
If one was applying for something like a support staff position, one would not necessarily need to be versed in a particular industry. Although it helps, it's not necessary. If I was looking to apply to certain companies, I may want to know who generally takes care of their employees best, on average, when it comes salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Noc
 
1,439 posts, read 1,805,625 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The post is still pointless- so what if Goldman Sachs has the highest "average" salary- if you don't have the skill set to work for GS, it's immaterial, so why bother? Now, if you were looking to go to work at a financial firm, then asking "which financial firm has the highest average salaries" would make sense, but to ask such a blanket statement is still pointless.

I don't think it's pointless. Case in point. I plan to move to ATL next year and I am currently an IT manager. This list is helpful to people like me who are looking for at least a lateral move and we can search within their company website and forward resumes directly to them. I've done my own search for the top ATL companies a few times just so I can get an idea of where the money is. All the top firms will some form of IT dept. Or if you are in the Legal, Accounting, service etc it all still applies.

If I said I want an IT management position I'm not just looking to work for a tech company exclusively like a Google or Cisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,784,051 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I don't think it's pointless. Case in point. I plan to move to ATL next year and I am currently an IT manager. This list is helpful to people like me who are looking for at least a lateral move and we can search within their company website and forward resumes directly to them. I've done my own search for the top ATL companies a few times just so I can get an idea of where the money is. All the top firms will some form of IT dept. Or if you are in the Legal, Accounting, service etc it all still applies.

If I said I want an IT management position I'm not just looking to work for a tech company exclusively like a Google or Cisco.
And in your research of these top-paying companies, did you find a direct correlation between the average salaries and the IT salaries? While average salary "might" translate directly to your particular position, there's nothing that says it will. Using Goldman Sachs as an example again, they paid out huge bonuses last year to certain portions of their staff that severely skewed their position in any survey of "average salaries"- meanwhile, I know a number of people who work for them in other parts of the business (IT included) and those numbers in no way reflect their salaries relative to their peers at other firms.

Feel free to use whatever stats you want to determine whatever you're looking for- just don't rely on something so generic and then wonder why it doesn't apply directly to you later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Noc
 
1,439 posts, read 1,805,625 times
Reputation: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And in your research of these top-paying companies, did you find a direct correlation between the average salaries and the IT salaries? While average salary "might" translate directly to your particular position, there's nothing that says it will. Using Goldman Sachs as an example again, they paid out huge bonuses last year to certain portions of their staff that severely skewed their position in any survey of "average salaries"- meanwhile, I know a number of people who work for them in other parts of the business (IT included) and those numbers in no way reflect their salaries relative to their peers at other firms.

Feel free to use whatever stats you want to determine whatever you're looking for- just don't rely on something so generic and then wonder why it doesn't apply directly to you later.
It's the naive people that do this Bob. I could also use this info to do the exact opposite of what the majority expects. Top-paying also has the biggest job cuts in a crisis. A top payer could be a company I have never heard of not being from ATL and I could be looking to work for a smaller shop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,784,051 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
It's the naive people that do this Bob. I could also use this info to do the exact opposite of what the majority expects. Top-paying also has the biggest job cuts in a crisis. A top payer could be a company I have never heard of not being from ATL and I could be looking to work for a smaller shop
Your post pretty much proves my point in a roundabout way......lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2007, 05:13 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 21,318,240 times
Reputation: 3587
I would say that any NATIONAL company that is UNION probably pays decently. The would be companies like UPS, AT&T and the Postal Service to name a few. Salaries for such positions are usually negotiated on a national scale so if you live in a lower cost area like the south, you actually get paid more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top