Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:26 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times

Advertisements

The renderings for the New Braves Stadium in Cobb have been released today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...153952625.html

Atlanta Braves release renderings for new ballpark in Cobb County | The Strike Zone - SI.com

THOUGHTS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
As long as it's something they can build in time to vacate Turner Field by 2017 so Turner Field can be revitalized, I'm all for it.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:40 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
I see that the site plan will include an element of walkable retail and amenities, but I feel like the location is bad for that. Being there, you still have to drive to the walkable area.

People won't park at Cumberland/Galleria and still walk over to the retail/stadium grounds except for when there's a game.
Because of that, it is going to be a traffic mess trying to get in to that walkable area.

Downtown is the area that needs "walkability" far more. I really wish the Braves had chose a better site. I do agree that Summerhill was a bad location. It always was. But I think there are still better places to put a new stadium. For me, the best place would be to build the new stadium + all of the same amenities going into the Cobb location, on the site of the Falcons' North Site proposed for the new Falcons stadium. That lot has enough space to build the stadium, have parking and parking decks AND still have the same walkable retail & amenities, especially if they purchase the Coca Cola building that is there... That would allow people to finally be able to take Marta to the game because they can just walk right up Northside drive from the Dome Marta station. And people could just walk from the Aquarium and park area right over to the new retail grounds around the stadium, as well as walk to all of the stuff around the park before or after a game.

That location would be a WIN-WIN for the Braves AND Atlanta. Taking the team all the way out to Cobb removes the chance of tourists also taking in a game, so the Braves lose one (small, but still) demographic of ticket sales. Bringing it closer to other central city amenities would increase those ticket sales.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
I like it. For all the traffic people complaining, it should only effect 35 games of the year. For me, it's a close drive so I'll probably hit up a few more games, i.e. the heat map.

There was only 2 places to relocate the Braves intown, either Centennial, which wasn't going to happen, or the old Falcons stadium and they need the parking. Current Brave's location sucks and I have a good friend that lives in Grant Park and is pissed. But I live in Cobb and attend more games than he does.

Piedmont park would be the only other location I think that would make everyone happy and pissed at the same time.

I think it'll be a win-win for the Braves and their loyal fans.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I like it. For all the traffic people complaining, it should only effect 35 games of the year. For me, it's a close drive so I'll probably hit up a few more games, i.e. the heat map.

There was only 2 places to relocate the Braves intown, either Centennial, which wasn't going to happen, or the old Falcons stadium and they need the parking. Current Brave's location sucks and I have a good friend that lives in Grant Park and is pissed. But I live in Cobb and attend more games than he does.

Piedmont park would be the only other location I think that would make everyone happy and pissed at the same time.

I think it'll be a win-win for the Braves and their loyal fans.
Wait, why would they go to Piedmont? It's far from the highway and well preserved green space and there's no parking. Just b/c it's a big section w/o buildings? It's cheaper to imminent domain some SFHs and complexes anywhere along the freeway than try to make that area work.

They could easily put a baseball stadium in the spot of the old Falcons stadium and retain enough parking while provided accessibility to Marta. Heck there are even some plots adjacent to Atlantic Station that could have worked too. Face if $400M up front funding and carte blanche to wreck the area are what Liberty went for. $100M in site improvements to Turner field could have bought a gilded maglev to Marta and some sweet parking decks in the area to get traffic flowing.

35 nights is still quite a lot if ~14% of the working days/yr are negatively impacted by game traffic. You have to remember this is a stadium in an already crowded corridor w/o any infrastructure built to handle the traffic and there's no plan to address it. The only people that can reach this park w/o passing major commuter paths are coming from the west side and they still have to make a left turn onto Cobb Parkway. When I worked off Paces Ferry, few nights could I get onto the ramp for 285 N/E w/o stop and go all the way to 75. Throw in a game and it'll be bedlam.

I'm still trying to fathom why apartments seem like a positive for the new stadium. Who really wants to live next to a stadium? You're impacted ~80 nights a year, restaurants have to choose game business or local business and not both. There's little else in the area and plenty of apartment inventory outside the direct radius of stadium traffic. In areas where there are mixed developments near stadiums, usually there's organic business and transit that means 20,000 cars aren't circling in front of your house looking for cheaper parking. Wrigley and other old stadiums filled in b/c of lack of land elsewhere and most people don't drive. People wouldn't live next door unless they're rabid fans or it's the only housing they can afford.

If they're unlucky, it'll look like Atlanta Motor Speedway when they're done. Of course Coolray field is the better example of Liberty's capabilities as a multipurpose developer but we seem to forget that constantly.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
It's just a strip mall with a baseball stadium instead of a cineplex.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:06 AM

148 posts, read 232,372 times
You can debate the location all day long, but the heat map doesn't lie.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:22 AM

477 posts, read 593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viningsgt View Post
You can debate the location all day long, but the heat map doesn't lie.
The heat map is virtually the same for every team, event, concert, and whatever else, because that's where all the money is. You think everything should relocate from downtown to the northern suburbs?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
I think I threw up in my mouth.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
It's just a strip mall with a baseball stadium instead of a cineplex.
Hardly....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta