Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 6,013 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a 22 year old who recently graduated college and secured a job in Atlanta. Specifically, the job is in Stone Mountain. I've been to Atlanta a few times but I am asking for y'alls advice on where I should live. I want to be around people near my age and have bars and stuff to do, but I don't want my commute to be excruciating (by Atlanta standards at least). I've heard Decatur would be a good compromise on what I want. I haven't had much luck searching for 1BR apartments online and I'm not sure how much stock to put in on yelp reviews and such. My budget is around $1200/mo and I'd like to find something new-ish and gated. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Also, if there are other areas of Atlanta that would be ideal for me and <1 hour commute to Stn Mtn, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 05:38 PM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Decatur would be decent, the drive wouldn't be bad. Snellville might not be bad either, though that's getting into "settled Family suburbs" area. Don't count on transit to Stone Mountain though, it's bad, but if you work a standard day shift, you'll have a reverse commute. You could also look more along the MARTA Blue line into East Lake, and Edgewood Candler Park. The drive gets a bit longer, but still not too bad.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Decatur would be decent, the drive wouldn't be bad. Snellville might not be bad either, though that's getting into "settled Family suburbs" area. Don't count on transit to Stone Mountain though, it's bad, but if you work a standard day shift, you'll have a reverse commute. You could also look more along the MARTA Blue line into East Lake, and Edgewood Candler Park. The drive gets a bit longer, but still not too bad.
Thanks for the reply. Are those areas along the Blue Line you mentioned considered safe? I'm looking for a place that isn't a sleepy suburb but Midtown/Buckhead might be too far of a commute/too expensive for my budget. Please let me know if my expectations are unrealistic.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:37 PM

Reasonably safe, my knowledge of those areas is somewhat thinnner, but they look clean from the train and just don't have the unsafe "vibe" and they are considered desirable again. Yes, Midtown or Buckhead would be a long commute and you'd have a good bit of traffic to deal with. For a commute to Stone Mountain while still wanting an active area, Decatur sounds like a good fit for you. Decatur itself is pretty broad so you could end up a few miles away from downtown Decatur, but that gets back into the stereotypical suburban areas.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Reasonably safe, my knowledge of those areas is somewhat thinnner, but they look clean from the train and just don't have the unsafe "vibe" and they are considered desirable again. Yes, Midtown or Buckhead would be a long commute and you'd have a good bit of traffic to deal with. For a commute to Stone Mountain while still wanting an active area, Decatur sounds like a good fit for you. Decatur itself is pretty broad so you could end up a few miles away from downtown Decatur, but that gets back into the stereotypical suburban areas.
As long as I'm a stone's throw to some action! I just want to be able to go out and enjoy some cold ones with people around my age on the weekends.

If anyone who lives in/knows a lot about the Decatur area could point me to some more specific areas within Decatur I'm all ears. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Hey again, sorry to bump my own post but I had a questions and was wondering if anyone has any insight. I would like to live near the downtown Decatur area close to the square. I hear that it is mostly upscale condos in that area. Could I get into one for 1200-1300/mo and does anyone know where I would go about searching rentals? I've been fruitlessly searching online and most of the apartments in the area seem rundown or are populated with Emory undergrads. Thanks again

Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr2591 View Post
Hey again, sorry to bump my own post but I had a questions and was wondering if anyone has any insight. I would like to live near the downtown Decatur area close to the square. I hear that it is mostly upscale condos in that area. Could I get into one for 1200-1300/mo and does anyone know where I would go about searching rentals? I've been fruitlessly searching online and most of the apartments in the area seem rundown or are populated with Emory undergrads. Thanks again
Can't really help you on specific places, but you should lower your expectations on newness. There really have been very few apartments built in the Decatur area in a while. Only place anywhere near I can think of is Emory Point, near the CDC off Clifton Road. Don't know any details on them other than they are new.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:58 PM

The OP would probably want to avoid Emory Point if they're working in Stone Mountain, traffic is a nightmare through the Emory Corridor.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The OP would probably want to avoid Emory Point if they're working in Stone Mountain, traffic is a nightmare through the Emory Corridor.
Correct my job is right off Stone Mtn Hwy at Mountain Industrial Blvd. Would commutes from Midtown/Buckhead/Lindbergh be absurd? It seems I am being unrealistic with my expectations but proximity to work and safety exceed my need for stuff to do after hours. This is a temporary work assignment, so with that said, is Decatur still where I should consider?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtr2591 View Post
Correct my job is right off Stone Mtn Hwy at Mountain Industrial Blvd. Would commutes from Midtown/Buckhead/Lindbergh be absurd? It seems I am being unrealistic with my expectations but proximity to work and safety exceed my need for stuff to do after hours. This is a temporary work assignment, so with that said, is Decatur still where I should consider?
You're going reverse flow so really DeKalb County isn't bad, including Emory. But once you get in Buckhead you get the local traffic going to places within Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta