U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the fact that Atlanta is getting a Brand New Spanking Stadium?
YES 52 62.65%
NO 21 25.30%
I GUESS SO 10 12.05%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,975,710 times

Advertisements

I dont know why people are still complaining its coming. Just look forward to the many events that will come back to the city. Super Bowl NBA all Star etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,108,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Should've kept the Braves instead.
We still have the Braves, it's not like they are moving to Dalton, GA or Augusta...geeeesh

Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM

9,918 posts, read 6,909,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
We still have the Braves, it's not like they are moving to Dalton, GA or Augusta...geeeesh
They are not in the city of Atlanta any more. But its not even about that. The Cowboys play in Arlington and plenty of other teams play outside their namesake.

What it is about is that they are moving to be "closer to their fans" which is an insult to any Braves fan not in Cobb or points NW. And because they refuse to take any ownership that it is really for the tax money handout that COA correctly refused to give them. They want to build Braves-disneyland. It was a backroom dirty deal that is shafting all besides Liberty Media. They are not the Braves I grew up with that were run by Turner. I'd go to more Nashville Braves game than I will Cobb Braves games.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM

858 posts, read 1,086,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg73 View Post
Sorry, but your counter-argument is ludicrous. If this money has to go to tourism, it can go to any tourism project, and virtually any other tourism initiative is bound to provide a better ROI than giving it all to a stadium where the vast majority of the return goes to the team and the municipality sees virtually nothing, and there is a perfectly fine stadium next door.
Yeah, that's what I said -- you can argue that building a new stadium isn't the best way to spend money on tourism. Maybe you misread.

Quote:
And all of the tax revenues available to the government can be shuffled around at will - the government can say this $200 million is going to any existing tourism project, which could have freed up $200 million from other revenue sources that was being allocated to any other project.
That right there is the notion I'm saying is incorrect. Tax revenue doesn't all go into a single pool so it can be spent on anything. When a tax (like the hotel tax) is levied, there are very strict laws dictating what that money can and cannot be spent on. You can't spend a hotel tax on a road any more than you can spend a fuel tax on a stadium.

The roughly $300 million going toward this stadium, and the maintenance in the future, is coming from a funding source that absolutely cannot be spent on schools, roads, sidewalks, or any of the other things people opposed to the stadium keep complaining about. All I'm saying is, if you're opposed to spending it on the stadium, at least provide a legitimate alternative that falls within the bounds of the law.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:03 AM

4,946 posts, read 3,997,094 times
I voted "I guess so." Yeah I think the Dome is fine, but hey. The new stadium is coming, and it looks like it's gonna be a pretty nice place.

One of its underrated points is that its basketball configuration has the court right in the middle of the stadium, instead of kind of off to one side. That will significantly increase the seating capacity for the Final Four, not to mention that it will look a lot better than the Dome's basketball setup.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:38 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Quote:
What will this city lose to other cities? No new jobs will be created by this project as existing jobs will only move a few hundred feet. It will create temporary construction jobs, but it's not like this city is starving for new construction projects. The new stadium will have more ways to spend your money inside of it than the old one, so there will be less opportunity for local businesses to make money outside the stadium. The new stadium will also have fewer seats, so you are actually reducing the number of opportunities for toursists to come in and spend their money here.

This deal may not be as bad as others, but throwing away any amount of money is not a good idea.
Increased revenue from hosting more events will have an impact on more jobs being created.
The fact that a new Soccer team is coming is also more jobs will come.

SuperBowls,Final Fours, that lets face it,as nice as the Dome is,does not have a chance in hell to bag any of these

Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM

57 posts, read 59,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Increased revenue from hosting more events will have an impact on more jobs being created.
The fact that a new Soccer team is coming is also more jobs will come.

SuperBowls,Final Fours, that lets face it,as nice as the Dome is,does not have a chance in hell to bag any of these
How many new jobs will be created by an event like a Super Bowl or a Final Four? Many of the people who work those events are volunteers. Some extra people are brought in and paid specifically for those events, but many of those jobs are minimum wage or close to it, and they are working for only a few days or weeks. Also, much of the revenues generated by these events go to the sports leagues themselves (NFL, NCAA, etc.) as opposed to the owner of the venue. Venues bid to host these events, and the winners are likely the ones that promise to generate (or give) the most money to the sports league that runs the event.

The fact that the MLS and NFL teams will be owned by the same entity means many of the front office functions can be shared using existing NFL employees. And even if the MLS club brought in its own brand new staff, that club will not need many employees to do the work, and they do not get paid very much. (Although I sincerely hope the MLS club will have its own, large, dedicated staff. As a 15 year season ticket holder for the New England Revolution, I have learned that an MLS club playing in an NFL stadium with a shared front office staff is not the path to on-field success.)

If you want the new stadium and are happy to have a new one, that's fine. I am excited to see it, too, based on the renderings, and I love the NFL, MLS, and NCAA football. But time after time, evidence shows that new venues do not make financial sense for the municipalities that help pay for them, and it bothers me when my money is given to billionaires so their millionaire players can play games that many of us can't afford to attend, and games that many taxpayers do not enjoy watching.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM

145 posts, read 149,586 times
It's awesome!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:49 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Quote:
How many new jobs will be created by an event like a Super Bowl or a Final Four? Many of the people who work those events are volunteers. Some extra people are brought in and paid specifically for those events, but many of those jobs are minimum wage or close to it, and they are working for only a few days or weeks. Also, much of the revenues generated by these events go to the sports leagues themselves (NFL, NCAA, etc.) as opposed to the owner of the venue. Venues bid to host these events, and the winners are likely the ones that promise to generate (or give) the most money to the sports league that runs the event.

The fact that the MLS and NFL teams will be owned by the same entity means many of the front office functions can be shared using existing NFL employees. And even if the MLS club brought in its own brand new staff, that club will not need many employees to do the work, and they do not get paid very much. (Although I sincerely hope the MLS club will have its own, large, dedicated staff. As a 15 year season ticket holder for the New England Revolution, I have learned that an MLS club playing in an NFL stadium with a shared front office staff is not the path to on-field success.)

If you want the new stadium and are happy to have a new one, that's fine. I am excited to see it, too, based on the renderings, and I love the NFL, MLS, and NCAA football. But time after time, evidence shows that new venues do not make financial sense for the municipalities that help pay for them, and it bothers me when my money is given to billionaires so their millionaire players can play games that many of us can't afford to attend, and games that many taxpayers do not enjoy watching.
And what about the more than $200 million dollar impact of hosting just one Superboawl?The vendors,the hotels,retsurants,attractions etc?Do you discount that as not positive also?
That is extra revenue coming to the city tax revenues.

As I said before:The deal was going to happen and this is probably the best deal that any city in the U.S. has gotten in a long time.In that regard,Im okay with it.

As it was stated also over and over,the taxes come from the hotel motel tax that was created JUST for the purpose of genrating revenue for the covention center.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM

57 posts, read 59,682 times
The potential economic impact from hosting a Super Bowl is not $200 million - at least not from any independent studies. Some debate if there is any net positive at all.
Super Bowl's economic impact may be way overblown - Phoenix Business Journal
How Much Is Too Much? A Cost-Benefit Analysis Of Hosting This Year's Super Bowl | Fox News Latino
Is the Super Bowl really a boost to host cities? | SportsonEarth.com : Neil deMause Article

And the cost to the taxpayers is possibly over $550 million
Falcons stadium cost to taxpayers, counting hidden subsidies: $554 million | Field of Schemes

Notice that these are not links to the stadium websites, which can be biased, or newpapers that just regurgitate press releases from the team or the league, or impact studies funded by the team or the league or the city; these are investigative analyses of the projects from impartial sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or