Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 05:07 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times

Advertisements

I've noticed on FB that GLOBE Academy is fundraising to expand their space. My kids go to charter schools so I know how that goes. According to the fundraising page, they have raised about $22,000 and they need $92,000.

Their fundraising page states that per their charter they must add 100 students next year. It goes on to say,

Quote:
...The simple fact is, our building is not big enough for next year. Next year, we literally will not have enough classrooms for all of our incoming students.

We have developed a plan to add modulars in the green space behind our school. This will create four new classrooms and provide space for the over 100 incoming students. Through careful planning, we have been able to identify units that have larger classroom spaces to match the ones in our building. This is necessary for our constructivist educational model. Our teachers love to allow their students the freedom to move around the classroom and work in centers. Our plan also includes a covered walkway, to keep the children out of the elements going to and from the main building, as well as safety features like a central hallway lined up with the main school's hallway, so there is easy visibility from the school building.
So...what happens if they don't raise the needed money? The situation sounds pretty dire!

I know several people whose children are supposed to go to GLOBE next year. Should they be concerned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 06:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
The GLOBE situation is complex. And I won't get into all the details here, but they should be able to raise the money -- they have a very low poverty population, but I think some parents feel like they have given a ton of money already this school year.

In the short term, I think the school will be ok, but your friends need to be prepared for semi-constant fundraising. In my experience, in DeKalb at least, when charters have to be in two buildings, that is when things get even more difficult. I think GLOBE never had a solid facility plan when they asked to use the Heritage building, given their expansion goals.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM

30 posts, read 41,653 times
For some reason whenever I post about Globe here the moderator removes my post telling me that posting about schools is considered advertising (?). Hopefully, this will be allowed to stay.

I have a child at Globe and am not unduly worried. There is very strong parent involvement and I feel confident the funds will be raised. The school is considering several plans for future expansion both at the present location and at alternative locations. I believe the first year at any new charter school is bound to have its ups and downs. At the classroom level Globe has been a great experience for our child. The constructivist curriculum was like a breath of fresh air after prior experiences in DeKalb County schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta