Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:01 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,756,738 times

Advertisements

From SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - Metro Atlanta Projects (projects outside the city) :

Yes, it'll have a space needle with a Rollercoaster. A so-called Pollercoaster

The following is a quote of the author of the skyscraperpage thread I've linked to above:
Quote:

Lakepoint

I've mostly ignored this development since it seems so far away and mostly irrelevant to me. This thing is MASSIVE - equivalent to a DisneyWorld of sporting events. At full build-out it is projected to have 5 million square feet of mixed-use development, 25 hotels, 11,000 permanent jobs, host events for 40 different sports and attract 6 million visitors annually. The project has already been expanded from the original plan due to demand.

My own thoughts on this is generally as a Smyrna resident, it's a bit out there. I consider even Acworth far. However, it's going to fill up the remaining undeveloped land in Emerson, GA and is convenient for our family to visit when we go to Red Top Mountain S.P. or Tellus Museum. Yes, this monstrosity is going up in Emerson, GA between I-75 and I-285, pretty much taking up the whole center of the map I've linked to here

Last edited by netdragon; 06-03-2014 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:56 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,820,720 times
The first rendering shows 16 baseball fields. There is 4 in the construction photo at the bottom, with what looks like a site for another 4 prepped. But no way those other 8 are fitting in between the existing ones the road. Unless they are smaller fields?

Isn't there another massive facility like this in the late stages of construction farther up 75?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:05 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,768,910 times
The best thing about this project is how many of those 6 million annual visitors will come ITP for entertainment/etc. This will be good for people to get away from Atlanta for a short trip. Like how people in LA go to Palm Springs

Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
The best thing about this project is how many of those 6 million annual visitors will come ITP for entertainment/etc. This will be good for people to get away from Atlanta for a short trip. Like how people in LA go to Palm Springs
That's a reach. Who is going to deal with packing the whole little league team into 4 minivans to go the Varsity when there are on-site options? Anyone who thinks that there is a lot of leisure time during these tournaments for casual jaunts into the city to catch a play or grab some sushi has probably never had kids in travel-league sports.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
That's a reach. Who is going to deal with packing the whole little league team into 4 minivans to go the Varsity when there are on-site options? Anyone who thinks that there is a lot of leisure time during these tournaments for casual jaunts into the city to catch a play or grab some sushi has probably never had kids in travel-league sports.
You think families are not going to want to take their kids to the aquarium?

You think the athletes are not going to want to go to bar or nightclub in Atlanta that night?

You think the women are not going to want to shop at BA, PCM, LS or PP?

It's the same as staying one hour away next to any other large city. Those people are going to want to visit the city especially if they are playing in a tournament for a few days. Imo at least 50% of the people that will visit this facility for out of town for at least 2 days for a tournament will visit ITP for at least a couple of hours

Old 06-03-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
You think families are not going to want to take their families to the aquarium?

You think the athletes are not going to want to go to bar or nightclub in Atlanta that night?

You think the women are not going to want to shop at BA, PCM, LS or PP?

It's the same as staying one hour away next to any other large city. Those people are going to want to visit the city especially if they are playing in a tournament for a few days.
I think you are underselling how serious a lot of these athletes, and their families, take these events. It's not a vacation. The whole entire point of the development is to give them a reason not to leave. Proximity to the amenities of downtown is far from the "best" thing about it.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
I think you are underselling how serious a lot of these athletes, and their families, take these events. It's not a vacation. The whole entire point of the development is to give them a reason not to leave.
I agree but they aren't going to be playing the entire day generally speaking. This development will have everything that they need to stay at the development but I'm sure a good % of those visitors will come ITP at least for a few hours

Old 06-03-2014, 07:57 AM

57 posts, read 74,820 times
Quote:
I agree but they aren't going to be playing the entire day generally speaking. This development will have everything that they need to stay at the development but I'm sure a good % of those visitors will come ITP at least for a few hours
I disagree. If this is intended to be anything like Field of Dreams park outside of Cooperstown, NY, then the kids will be playing all day and night, and those who are doing the driving will be exhausted when and if any free time is available. Rarely is there a huge block of hours where the groups can do much traveling away from the fields. Teams travel together and it costs lots of money for hotels and rental cars so the schedules are packed tightly with lots of games in as few days as possible.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,834,827 times
This is a duplicate thread. Original here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-expected.html

Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieg73 View Post
I disagree. If this is intended to be anything like Field of Dreams park outside of Cooperstown, NY, then the kids will be playing all day and night, and those who are doing the driving will be exhausted when and if any free time is available. Rarely is there a huge block of hours where the groups can do much traveling away from the fields. Teams travel together and it costs lots of money for hotels and rental cars so the schedules are packed tightly with lots of games in as few days as possible.
We can agree to disagree. Whatever the case may be this is a good development for the metro region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta