Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
aka aka started this thread

4 posts, read 21,043 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Gainesville Florida and am looking to move to Georgia very soon. I would like to build a home and my realtor has given me these 3 counties --Henry, Douglas, or Gwinnett. Needless to say, I don't know anything about either of them. I do need to live very close to Atlanta and my realtor really suggested Henry county. He said the place is really growing and developing and it would be a great place to be to start off. Also, I was reading and it seems like everyone is suggesting Gwinnet county. Can you give me some scoop on these three? I have a friend that lives in Villa Rica and she loves it, but she too is from Florida so she is not much help. If you have any info please share it with me. Thank you so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 01:03 PM

628 posts, read 695,286 times
My son lives in Henry County--It is a wonderful place to live compared to Gwinnett County. I have read many negative comments about Gwinnett County. However, I am not an authority on the Gwinnett County..recently relocated to GA myself.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:29 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Gwinnett here!
Yes it has issues like crime in Norcross/Jimmy Carter. Traffic etc., but it does have close to 800,000 people.

To me it has a lower millage rate, the Mall of GA, and diversity in food. I think I have every nationality of eating establishments within 20 miles of my home.

I'm known to poke fun but compared to any other county surrounding Atlanta City, I would choose Gwinnett as far as having things at your fingertips, or the other 200 cars in front of you

Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 PM

43 posts, read 226,568 times
CNN Business and Moody's Economy predict that southern Atlanta, including Henry Co is THE place to buy for guaranteed appreciation on your property. The statisticians, lenders and real estate agents all say buy south of Atlanta. But the natives I talk to say buy in the overcrowded, overpriced, but more desirable north Atlanta.

Ahhh, the delimas of the fresh-faced Atlantan. I love the nightlife and shopping of the north but how the heck do you turn your back on a good investment? It's times like these that I wish I had some of that Donald Trump money. I'd just buy a hundred acres and build Trump City in south ATL. Heck, if he's reading this maybe it'll give him some ideas.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:37 AM
aka aka started this thread

4 posts, read 21,043 times
Thank you everyone for your comments. Staylor I appreciate your insight. I am really looking to build a home and also make a profit if I choose to sell. Every realtor that I have spoken with continues to confirm that Henry is a booming place and that your house will surely appreciate in profit. I was really worried about going somewhere and making a wrong decision. Thank you again.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 AM

84 posts, read 379,417 times
AKA, Henry county is one of the fastest growing counties in the United States, I live in Stockbridge and it's growing in leaps and bounds.

Old 12-02-2006, 07:21 AM

465 posts, read 2,426,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka View Post
Hello everyone,

I currently live in Gainesville Florida and am looking to move to Georgia very soon. I would like to build a home and my realtor has given me these 3 counties --Henry, Douglas, or Gwinnett. Needless to say, I don't know anything about either of them. I do need to live very close to Atlanta and my realtor really suggested Henry county. He said the place is really growing and developing and it would be a great place to be to start off. Also, I was reading and it seems like everyone is suggesting Gwinnet county. Can you give me some scoop on these three? I have a friend that lives in Villa Rica and she loves it, but she too is from Florida so she is not much help. If you have any info please share it with me. Thank you so very much.
I don't know what you mean exactly by "close to atlanta", but living in any of these counties is going to be a bit of a drive for you. Henry county is south of the city and traffic coming in on the 75/85 connector is horrible in the morning. Same thing with Gwinnett, coming down 85S into Atlanta is a bear. Douglas county would probably be the lesser of the three evils as far as traffic, but I have friends that live in Villa Rica (Douglas county) and you definetly don't want to go there if you want good proximity to Atlanta, It takes a solid 45 minutes to get to Atlanta from there, and that's with good traffic. Plus, Douglas county is very country with not a lot of city life going on out there at all. I lived close to there in the Austell -Powder Springs area and it's just not my scene, I'll never move back.

I also lived in Gwinnett, which I love. Forget what someone said about the crime. The key to living in Gwinett safely and successfully in living above Pleasant Hill Rd going up 85N. This area is also booming, and speaking as a former real estate assistant, you'll more than get a return on your investment in Gwinnett too. Plus, Gwinnett is THE MOST DIVERSE COUNTY IN ATLANTA! They are know for having some of the best schools and neighborhoods. Yes, Norcross/Jimmy Carter area is packed with illegal mexicans, and it tends to be kind of shady around those areas, so stay away, especially if you want a good investment return, but that's further south on 85.

If you want to be very close to Atlanta, I don't know why your realtor suggested these counties to you. He should be talking more about Fulton, DeKalb or Cobb counties, (even though they're more expensive). Anyway, make sure you stay on top of that and do your own research. And whatever you do, please don't make a decision without coming to Atlanta first. I would even rent an apartment for six months to get my own feel for the place. I've just seen too many people come here without any knowledge or feel for the city, trusting their realtor and what they see on the internet, and then move here, and realize they would have been more satisfied living somewhere else.

Good Luck though.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
If the new growth in the south metro keeps going on, the south metro could end up rivaling the north in shopping and nightlife and excitement.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:45 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
Anybody know why there's a slowdown in building permits in Henry County?

Old 12-05-2006, 08:25 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
Anybody know why there's a slowdown in building permits in Henry County?
The housing market all across the country has cooled down. I'm not positive but I would guess Henry county hasn't cooled off any more then any other part of the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta