Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 11:10 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's not too much to ask that they put a couple of entrances on peachtree?
There will be entrances for the common areas (fitness center, clubhouse, etc) on Peachtree.

No offense but it I think you might need to do some reading. You seem to be holding a lot of misconceptions about this development.

John Wieland’s One Museum Place Takes Flight | atlantaSKYriseblog.com | atlanta luxury condo information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:17 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,566 times
I have several most annoying lots...

1. The former AFCS lot
2. The lots all over Vine City
3. The former proposed North Site of the new Falcons' Stadium north of GWCC (Northside Dr/Ivan Allen Blvd.)
4. The R/R Gulch (Centennial Park Drive/MLK)
5. The lot behind IKEA/Atlantic Station (Northside Dr./17th Street) - perfect spot for a stadium (baseball or soccer), or for a park with a supertall observation deck/iconic landmark
6. The abandoned lots along North Ave. near the Krispy Kreme on Ponce
7. The lot behind the bldg on the SW corner of the intersection of Boulevard & Edgewood Ave.
8. The empty lots along Spring Street in Midtown, north of 14th street.
9. ALL THE EMPTY LOTS ALONG PEACHTREE WALK (in the HEART of Midtown...)... THAT should be a pedestrian only street, turned into a mini entertainment/retail district similar to Santa Monica, CA's 3rd Street Promenade (look it up). Perfect name for it ("Peachtree Walk"). Imagine it... Pedestrian only, theaters, art galleries, retail, restaurants, all within the small, dense 2-3 block walk. street performers and vendors at all times adding atmosphere. Great look for Midtown... Instead, it's just a quiet, unused, empty street. Eyesore
10. ALL THE EMPTY LOT SPACE ALONG MEMORIAL DRIVE just north of I-20, West of Boulevard.

If the city would fill those 10 locations with: landscaped Parks, mixed use developments, entertainment and a LEGIT attempt at an iconic development (not a stupid 60ft observation deck like Apache Cafe, but something real, like a 10 story tall statue, or a MLK landmark Memorial like in DC, or a 1000ft. observation deck, or a man-made lake with fountains that shoot 200ft in the air, or something that gives people a reason to come to the city), that would change Atlanta completely...

Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
There will be entrances for the common areas (fitness center, clubhouse, etc) on Peachtree.

No offense but it I think you might need to do some reading. You seem to be holding a lot of misconceptions about this development.

John Wieland’s One Museum Place Takes Flight | atlantaSKYriseblog.com | atlanta luxury condo information
you're probably right. i'll come out and say it: i think that lot could have been a whole lot more. there is only so much room in midtown to put interesting things, and right across from the high museum there could have been some interesting attraction that could add to the area, either another arts attraction, a department store (we haven't seen one of those in a long time!) or at least something like a restaurant with condos and apartments above.

the development that's being planned really just seems a waste of such a prime space to me. it seems more like something that should've been located on a side street in midtown or closer to piedmont park.

arjay, i know you're big on elbow room, but this is *peachtree street*, man! it's our main thoroughfare, our broadway, our michigan avenue, etc. it should be full of life and attractions and things that belong in a big-city environment. if not peachtree, then where??

Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 AM

858 posts, read 1,385,459 times
While I agree it would be nice for me if every development had something I could use, let's keep in mind that we need basic residential infill too. Downtown shows what can happen if attractions outnumber residents.

I don't see a need for anything special on that little lot. There's quite a bit of retail around there already, and with the High across the street and MODA right next door it's hardly wanting for another art museum. That boring mid-rise will actually perfectly match the scale of its neighbors and add the one and only use that area is severely lacking (residential).

If you're anxious for something big to go up around there, keep an eye on the lot at 17th. That's a prime spot for a mixed-use tower. It fronts two major roads.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:34 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
arjay, i know you're big on elbow room, but this is *peachtree street*, man! it's our main thoroughfare, our broadway, our michigan avenue, etc. it should be full of life and attractions and things that belong in a big-city environment. if not peachtree, then where??
bryant, stroll up 5th Avenue north of the park or the elite residential areas in other great cities in the world. Most buildings are set back slightly behind gates and small hedges and they don't have street level retail. It's the same with the high-end condos and townhomes in Buckhead here in Atlanta.

Wieland is pitching these homes to well-to-do buyers, and that's the experience they will be expect.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7898...ze767Cn4XQ!2e0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: