Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:57 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
what about areas like Lake Clair? I was looking for similar things to the original poster as well. Husband will be working in Tucker. We'd like to keep the budget under 550K
Increasing the budget 40% certainly expands your options, and areas like Decatur, Lake Claire, and Candler Park are going to be more accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
what about areas like Lake Clair? I was looking for similar things to the original poster as well. Husband will be working in Tucker. We'd like to keep the budget under 550K
Lake Clair / Candler Park area is very nice. You should be able to find nice (but probably not amazing, brand new, high-end) 3/2s in that area in your budget. Other similar areas include Inman Park, Oakhurst, Decatur, Vi-Hi, Morningside, and Midtown.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Lake Clair / Candler Park area is very nice. You should be able to find nice (but probably not amazing, brand new, high-end) 3/2s in that area in your budget. Other similar areas include Inman Park, Oakhurst, Decatur, Vi-Hi, Morningside, and Midtown.
Decatur would be the shortest commute to Tucker of all of the in-town feel neighborhoods mentioned--something on the north-east portion of the city would be an easy commute (If you are not completely wedded to the intown thing--the Parkview cluster in Lilburn is worth a look-- relatively inexpensive, good -very diverse schools, and a short commute to Tucker).

Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Decatur would be the shortest commute to Tucker of all of the in-town feel neighborhoods mentioned--something on the north-east portion of the city would be an easy commute (If you are not completely wedded to the intown thing--the Parkview cluster in Lilburn is worth a look-- relatively inexpensive, good -very diverse schools, and a short commute to Tucker).
I just want to second jeoff's advice on areas with a Tucker commute. It is spot on.

Decatur and its surrounding neighborhoods are charming and give you that city-esque small-town like appeal with a solid town center. Since Decatur (city proper) has its own small independent school district, many people hold the schools with better regard than the rest of Dekalb County. It really makes Decatur a desired area.

The Parkview area is a more mature suburban area that will give you the best bang for the buck and excellent diverse schools. There are some great parks, community centers, and non-chain places to eat.... but expect to drive and park. From a solely recreation point of view there are many great places to go.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Curbed just posted this relevant listing: Big New Home For <$400K In ATL? By Golly, They Do Exist - On the Market - Curbed Atlanta

Has more than was originally asked for by OP: 4 bedrooms, brand new, and easy walk to MARTA. Throw a baseball over to Candler Park.

Last edited by jsvh; 06-25-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
As for Lake Claire, just noticed the reverse commute to Tucker today, and it was not bad at all--but when school starts back up, I would expect for it to get much worse, but still doable --if you really like Lake Claire (I really I like Lake Claire, and like Decatur, but the shorter commute would make Decatur the easy choice for me.)--if the commute is not a big deal to you--my take is that Decatur schools are generally considered better than Lake Claire's--but are still among the best intown has to offer. Safety: they are both relatively safe for intown, but they are not the suburbs. As far as walkabilty, and shopping areas, really depends on the location of the home in each area that you are looking at--I think Decatur has become very family-oriented--Lake Claire--Candler Park--Little 5pts is more diverse/eclectic--but even if you are in Lake Claire--you are still a short ride to Decatur.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:35 PM

91 posts, read 152,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I just want to second jeoff's advice on areas with a Tucker commute. It is spot on.

Decatur and its surrounding neighborhoods are charming and give you that city-esque small-town like appeal with a solid town center. Since Decatur (city proper) has its own small independent school district, many people hold the schools with better regard than the rest of Dekalb County. It really makes Decatur a desired area.

The Parkview area is a more mature suburban area that will give you the best bang for the buck and excellent diverse schools. There are some great parks, community centers, and non-chain places to eat.... but expect to drive and park. From a solely recreation point of view there are many great places to go.
Thanks! and what if someone had to commute to the 285 and 400 area from the decatur/parkview, etc area? Like near perimeter mall, I think?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Thanks! and what if someone had to commute to the 285 and 400 area from the decatur/parkview, etc area? Like near perimeter mall, I think?
Many people do it, but that is a game changer.

All of the freeways headed to Perimeter get congested. Perimeter is its own downtown-ish area as far as office jobs go.

I-285 north will move fairly well until a few miles south of the junction at 285 and 85 and then traffic will be thick all the way to 400.

There aren't too many great off-freeway routes either. It is this way from most directions going into Perimeter.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM

91 posts, read 152,109 times
So what would be a good intermediate area with good schools that is commutable to tucker as well as perimeter mall area? Chamblee? Brookhaven? Anything up there that is walkable, affordable (ish), with good schools? We have little kids, oldest is 4.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
So what would be a good intermediate area with good schools that is commutable to tucker as well as perimeter mall area? Chamblee? Brookhaven? Anything up there that is walkable, affordable (ish), with good schools? We have little kids, oldest is 4.
You should be able to find some places that meet most of what you are looking for in the north DeKalb areas you mention and near by.

Depending on how you define walk-ability you may have trouble finding it in those areas however. I'd look near Brookhaven station. Also is the Perimiter job accessible from MARTA? You could look at the walk-able neighborhoods along the east line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta