U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM
 
38 posts, read 57,746 times
Reputation: 39

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
The address for the picture I posted is 714 South Spring Street Atlanta which is what I had as an address for Traxx. But I have found a completely different address on their facebook page?

2549 Gresham Rd SE, Atlanta, Georgia 30316

Then I saw a third one and figured I better hold off on that one.

Secondly, the picture I had for the old Loretta's I have attached. BUT IT LOOKS LIKE I'M WRONG!

708 and 714 seems to pull up the same club just like you said so now I'm really confused.

I'm going to contact them on facebook. Maybe they moved after the owner was killed a few years back. Will post an update when I clear this up.

Thanks for the help.
As for the new photo you posted - that is actually the side-view of Loretta's (now XCess or Club 704 - or whatever it is called now). In other words, it is the same building that is in your first photo, but from a different vantage point. That is exactly what I saw as I made my way up 3rd St. from the tunnel to Spring Street - it shows that Loretta's/XCess/Club 704 is actually much larger than it looks when you look at it "head on" from Spring St. (your first photo).

I'm not sure about the reason for the 714 vs. 708 Spring St. confusion - but when you do a search for "714 Spring St." in Google Maps - it shows that the address is basically next door to 708 Spring St.. The building that Google Maps shows for 714 Spring St. looks like it could have been - or could be - another club. Or - the buildings could be attached now - and the old Loretta's expanded into this adjacent building. I read on one of the pages that Club 708 has 2 different dance floors that can hold 2,000 people each - that's pretty huge! - so I'm thinking that Loretta's/Club 708 may have taken over this adjacent building at some point.

Also - I just came across something that might explain why you thought that this club was Traxx. This page presents Traxx as an event - not necessarily a club. Apparently, "Traxx Parties" are held at various clubs - and the club at 708 Spring St. is just one venue where these parties have been held. I'm guessing that a Traxx Party might have taken place at the club located at 2549 Gresham Rd., as well: Atlanta Guide to Gay and Gay-Friendly Bars and Eateries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
 
38 posts, read 57,746 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post

The building was pretty large. I believe that second pic looks like the same building. I can remember that long line during pride going down the side of the building.
I didn't see your post as I was Googling/typing up my above post. Yep, those two photos are the same building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 PM
 
Location: island of misfit toys
200 posts, read 216,688 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
I didn't see your post as I was Googling/typing up my above post. Yep, those two photos are the same building.
Aw shoot no prob lol

There WAS a brick and mortar Traxx location but it closed down a while ago. Now like you said there are Traxxs parties thrown around Atlanta and its Midwest sister org. I don't know the original address of Traxx but i can remember the building CLEARLY. It was close to the Omni Center... or something. Let me make a few calls. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM
 
38 posts, read 57,746 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
Aw shoot no prob lol

There WAS a brick and mortar Traxx location but it closed down a while ago. Now like you said there are Traxxs parties thrown around Atlanta and its Midwest sister org. I don't know the original address of Traxx but i can remember the building CLEARLY. It was close to the Omni Center... or something. Let me make a few calls. lol
Yeah - I thought that there may have been an actual brick-and-mortar Traxx Club at one point. It will be interesting to see what you can confirm about this. If the Traxx Club was near the Omni International complex (now CNN Center) - not only is the club gone, but the building that housed the club may be long gone, also. I know that a bunch of buildings in the general area just east of CNN Center were demolished before the 1996 Olympics - in order to build Centennial Olympic Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM
 
Location: island of misfit toys
200 posts, read 216,688 times
Reputation: 196
okay so the original address for Traxx Atlanta was 339 Marietta Street NW. I just googled mapped it and the building looks like its a tattoo shop now?

That area just brought back some great memories lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 PM
 
Location: island of misfit toys
200 posts, read 216,688 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
Yeah - I thought that there may have been an actual brick-and-mortar Traxx Club at one point. It will be interesting to see what you can confirm about this. If the Traxx Club was near the Omni International complex (now CNN Center) - not only is the club gone, but the building that housed the club may be long gone, also. I know that a bunch of buildings in the general area just east of CNN Center were demolished before the 1996 Olympics - in order to build Centennial Olympic Park.

Yeah i meant to say i could be wrong as i didn't live in Atlanta but visited and spent weeks down there on a regular as a young gayling. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Ga
1,866 posts, read 1,828,051 times
Reputation: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
Yeah - I thought that there may have been an actual brick-and-mortar Traxx Club at one point. It will be interesting to see what you can confirm about this. If the Traxx Club was near the Omni International complex (now CNN Center) - not only is the club gone, but the building that housed the club may be long gone, also. I know that a bunch of buildings in the general area just east of CNN Center were demolished before the 1996 Olympics - in order to build Centennial Olympic Park.
The original Traxx location that I know of was located in 'Belvedere South Shopping Center'. It's located right behind another shopping center at the corner of Memorial and Columbia Drives. The place was huge!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 10:45 PM
 
1,702 posts, read 2,645,604 times
Reputation: 1378
There were 4 large Black clubs... which was considered a LOT during that time.

Loretta's on Spring: The place to be on Friday. It was much larger back then, and was later split down the middle to make two clubs... one of which was 708. The other I've heard was a straight club, but Loretta's was quite large with several different dance floors catering to different genres of music. Loretta's (and the adjacent parking lots all the way to Varsity) was a bit of a default ground zero for all things Black/gay during Holiday weekends as well. Loretta's closed at 3:00AM and popped on Fridays and Sundays.

Pear Garden: It was in the heart of downtown around Broad or Forsyth, and was more of a bar than a club. It was the place you'd go to have a drink with friends before you went to the "real club" like Traxx and Loretta's. More of a stand around and listen to music/drink type place rather than a dance club.

Traxx: was on Lucky right around where the GA Aquarium is today and was a house music club that popped on Saturday nights. Definitely the nicest club for Blacks in Atlanta at that time with pool tables/bars on the second level with an atrium-type view of an open dance floor at the lower level. It was the place to be on Saturday night, but they closed at 2:00 AM. Traxx was the principal "see and be seen" spot for sure.

The Marquette: was the place everyone left Traxx for to continue the party since they didn't close until around 4 or 4:30. It was on MLK near the AUC, and was hot as hell with two levels and no air conditioning. Marquette was a hood spot in every sense of the definition, but was open late so most partygoers (those who could stand the heat and ghetto inside) would head there after leaving Traxx.

The Pear Garden eventually closed and reopened as The Palace in a different location I believe... same flavor though. Loretta's was divided in half and renamed 708, and Traxx was demolished for the aquarium and moved to Buford Hwy... barely a shell of its former self on Lucky. The Marquette's original location was demolished but I've heard it's been revamped somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 PM
 
1,702 posts, read 2,645,604 times
Reputation: 1378
There were 4 large Black clubs... which was a LOT during that time.

Loretta's on Spring: It was much larger back then, and was later split down the middle to make two clubs... one of which was 708. The other I've heard was a straight club, but Loretta's was quite large with several different dance floors catering to different genres of music. Loretta's (and the adjacent parking lots all the way to Varsity) was a bit of a default ground zero for all things Black/gay during Holiday weekends as well. Loretta's closed at 3:00AM and popped on Fridays and Sundays.

Pear Garden: It was in the heart of downtown around Broad or Forsyth, and was more of a bar than a club. It was the place you'd go to have a drink with friends before you went to the "real club" like Traxx or Loretta's. More of a stand around and listen to music/drink type place rather than a dance club.

Traxx: was on Lucky right around where the GA Aquarium is today and was a house music club that popped on Saturday nights. Definitely the nicest club for Blacks in Atlanta at that time with pool tables/bars on the second level with an atrium-type view of an open dance floor at the lower level. It was the place to be on Saturday night, but they closed at 2:00 AM. Traxx was the principal "see and be seen" spot for sure.

The Marquette: was the place everyone left Traxx for to continue the party since they didn't close until around 4 or 4:30. It was on MLK near the AUC, and was hot as hell with two levels and no air conditioning. Marquette was a hood spot in every sense of the definition, but was open late so most partygoers (those who could stand the heat and ghetto inside) would head there after leaving Traxx.

The Pear Garden eventually closed and reopened as The Palace in a different location I believe... same flavor though. Loretta's was divided in half and renamed 708, and Traxx was demolished for the aquarium and moved to Buford Hwy... barely a shell of its former self on Lucky. The Marquette's original location was demolished but I've heard it's been revamped somewhere else. In the 90's came Colours (now Mixx), Tower II off Boulevard (later burned down) The Playground (on Edgewood I believe) and Phase I on Memorial which is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 PM
 
3,453 posts, read 2,993,725 times
Reputation: 1646
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
As for the new photo you posted - that is actually the side-view of Loretta's (now XCess or Club 704 - or whatever it is called now). In other words, it is the same building that is in your first photo, but from a different vantage point. That is exactly what I saw as I made my way up 3rd St. from the tunnel to Spring Street - it shows that Loretta's/XCess/Club 704 is actually much larger than it looks when you look at it "head on" from Spring St. (your first photo).

I'm not sure about the reason for the 714 vs. 708 Spring St. confusion - but when you do a search for "714 Spring St." in Google Maps - it shows that the address is basically next door to 708 Spring St.. The building that Google Maps shows for 714 Spring St. looks like it could have been - or could be - another club. Or - the buildings could be attached now - and the old Loretta's expanded into this adjacent building. I read on one of the pages that Club 708 has 2 different dance floors that can hold 2,000 people each - that's pretty huge! - so I'm thinking that Loretta's/Club 708 may have taken over this adjacent building at some point.

Also - I just came across something that might explain why you thought that this club was Traxx. This page presents Traxx as an event - not necessarily a club. Apparently, "Traxx Parties" are held at various clubs - and the club at 708 Spring St. is just one venue where these parties have been held. I'm guessing that a Traxx Party might have taken place at the club located at 2549 Gresham Rd., as well: Atlanta Guide to Gay and Gay-Friendly Bars and Eateries

Traxx started out on luckie st across from the Aquarium. When they were bought out the club. Duran bought the old skating rink over off columbia and memorial dr. here is a video when Nikki Minaj performed at the Traxx Nicki Minaj at Traxx Atlanta for Atlanta Black Pr…: Nicki Minaj at Traxx Atlanta for Atlanta Black Prid 2010 - YouTube

however when the owner was shot and killed the club folded after that.
708 is where lorettas used to be there are 2 huge dance floors and A room that used to.be a 3 door garage. its where the gays Vouge to house music.

714 and 708 are the same.building there just seperated by a door on the inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top