U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,859,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by salemsally View Post
I'm not sure if there was a skating rink in the area of Columbia and Memorial Dr. - I was a kid growing up in South DeKalb County in the '80s, and I don't remember a skating rink ever being there....unless it was one for a brief time after I grew up (maybe I'll ask my brother). Was it an old Lionel Playworld, maybe? Perhaps you and mattee01 are talking about the same building? I was just speculating to mattee01 that the club might have been a Lionel Playworld - a toy store of my youth!

Anyway - the info that you and everyone have posted is interesting. I wish I remembered more about the old Loretta's - but, heck, some of my memories of simply walking right by the club have been lost to time. I wish I had the foresight to take some photos back then....at the time, I just didn't think much about the fact that Atlanta would undergo considerable change, and we would want to look back on some old landmarks as they once were.

But anyway, it just so happens that I was taking some photos of the old Lionel Playworld recently. Was the club in this building?

Yeah that's the building. You got inside and it was almost like a big reception area then you could move into the main club and it was huge with a runway where the DJ sat in the back. There was two more seperate areas that I know of, the cafe with sitting and pool tables, restrooms, etc, and then the vouge room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Were these four clubs predominantly African American clubs, mixed or...?

I have not received a reply from Traxx as to whether they have an old picture of the original club or a history but I will post if I get one. Just trying to build a black gay history.

Thanks for all the help so far.
Predominantly African American. The club scene for hats has always and still is mostly self segregated.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:08 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,715,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Wow, thanks for the help JoeTarheel, I lived in Atlanta for about 5 years and never heard of this club. (Marquette)

Luckily I was able to Google a picture so thank you very much!
No problem...I moved to Atlanta in 1989 so it was hard to even remember what was here at the time. The black clubs didn't advertise as much back then and weren't mentioned much in the gay press, so they were flying under the radar. There may be others that haven't been mentioned here, but I'm not sure where you could go for the information. Glad I could help a little.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM

108 posts, read 131,936 times
Just received email from Traxx rep today. Below is a list of prior addresses for Traxx. Thanks again for EVERYBODY'S HELP! (Still no picture).

*339 Marietta St NW Atlanta GA 30313 (404-681-4252) (ORIGINAL CLUB)
*306 Luckie Street Atlanta, Ga 30303
*3595 Clairmont Rd., Atlanta, GA, 30319
*1287 Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA
*708 spring street Atlanta 30308

Old 06-13-2015, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,727 times
Default Owner of Traxxatlanta my name is Phillip Boone

Traxx is not closed we have a weekly party every Thursday night and every 4th Saturdays ....

Old 06-13-2015, 08:51 AM

Oh the correct address is 708 spring st ,we are a black owned and operated business.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:54 AM

Traxx founded Traxx in 1989

Old 12-28-2016, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,193 times
I started going to Traxx in 1990 and it didn't close at 2 am..it closed at 4. If u remember Atlanta's bar closing hours were originally 4 am until Shirley Franklin came into office and caved into pressure from the Buckhead business association and rescinded the bar closing hours for the entire city to 3am. Some places had 24hr liquor licenses, like Club Anytime on Peachtree and Backstreet. I knew David also, i also remember when he was tragically murdered along with his friend in 1998, after being shot execution style in the head and having his car set on fire and left in a pet cemetery, it was horrific. But considering u were around during this period u also recall the Pear Garden and later renamed the Pearl Garden and the Waterworks restaurant next door on Luckie St, as well as Loretta's and if u recall David also opened the The Ritz on Decatur St/Peachtree streets downtown.. it was upstairs, space is now owned by GSU. Atlanta was a different place during those days. You are absolutely correct about the the Marquette on MLK...in the old building behind the McDonalds on the corner of MLK and Ashby (Lowery) and then the other location they moved to that was larger across the street. That building eventually caught on fire in 99 or 2000 i believe. I'm assuming u also knew James, who sold Traxx to David..i won't mention his last name here..There will never be another scene in Atlanta like there used to be.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 472 times
Default History of Loretta's

I am looking into bringing the story of Loretta's - the 1990s nightclub - to life. I am familiar with all of the Atlanta black gay clubs in separate threads & like Wendy Williams has said, I've lived. I've seen establishments & colleagues who partied with me come and go. I also have the sense and educational background to get this story told correctly.

Loretta's was the hotspot in the 1990s. The Palace, Traxx, the Marquette, the Pearl Garden, and I have a list of many more clubs each arguably provided an alternative to Loretta's for black gay men, until it finally led to Bulldogs being an island for gay comradeship after most of these clubs shut their doors. The history of Loretta's could include those taboo Trinity parties that some folks went to after the shift in naming of the building that was Loretta's changed. The truth is, the story has NOT been told at all & it's time. My first task is to get beyond the rumors of who Loretta was...a man, a female, or just a name.

If you have a story, no matter how small, then please share. What impact did Loretta's have with you? What do you know about its history? Thanks.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,193 times
Yes Atlanta Live used to be a movie theater before it became a club. Bulldogs clientele changed around 1998-1999, and as always the white gay boys always move to another location after it becomes predominately black. Bulldogs is THE only remaining gay club on Peachtree in Midtown. Gone are the 2 story "Backstreet" which was like the Studio 54 of Atlanta, open 24 hours a day with a 24 liquor license. It had a cabaret lounge upstairs, where u could also order food. It had an outside patio on the roof and the dance floor was huge. u could look down on it from the balcony upstairs. The Armory was next door and also had 2nd floor in it. Club Metro was just north of 12st and Club Kaya (hip-hop) was next door. Club Anytime was across the street, also a 24 hour club and The Cotton Club was also next door to Club Anytime. It was a live music venue. Traxx was legendary..after David's tragic death in 1998, it continued to remain open, Phillip became the full owner and they remained in that building until imminent domain forced them out of it in order to accommodate the Georgia Aquarium. The only black gay club open is The Marquette on Simpson Rd..now known as Joseph Boone Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or