Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
There were 4 large Black clubs... which was a LOT during that time.

Loretta's on Spring: It was much larger back then, and was later split down the middle to make two clubs... one of which was 708. The other I've heard was a straight club, but Loretta's was quite large with several different dance floors catering to different genres of music. Loretta's (and the adjacent parking lots all the way to Varsity) was a bit of a default ground zero for all things Black/gay during Holiday weekends as well. Loretta's closed at 3:00AM and popped on Fridays and Sundays.

Pear Garden: It was in the heart of downtown around Broad or Forsyth, and was more of a bar than a club. It was the place you'd go to have a drink with friends before you went to the "real club" like Traxx or Loretta's. More of a stand around and listen to music/drink type place rather than a dance club.

Traxx: was on Lucky right around where the GA Aquarium is today and was a house music club that popped on Saturday nights. Definitely the nicest club for Blacks in Atlanta at that time with pool tables/bars on the second level with an atrium-type view of an open dance floor at the lower level. It was the place to be on Saturday night, but they closed at 2:00 AM. Traxx was the principal "see and be seen" spot for sure.

The Marquette: was the place everyone left Traxx for to continue the party since they didn't close until around 4 or 4:30. It was on MLK near the AUC, and was hot as hell with two levels and no air conditioning. Marquette was a hood spot in every sense of the definition, but was open late so most partygoers (those who could stand the heat and ghetto inside) would head there after leaving Traxx.

The Pear Garden eventually closed and reopened as The Palace in a different location I believe... same flavor though. Loretta's was divided in half and renamed 708, and Traxx was demolished for the aquarium and moved to Buford Hwy... barely a shell of its former self on Lucky. The Marquette's original location was demolished but I've heard it's been revamped somewhere else. In the 90's came Colours (now Mixx), Tower II off Boulevard (later burned down) The Playground (on Edgewood I believe) and Phase I on Memorial which is still there.

traxx never closed at 2:00am they stayed open to 4am and Tuesdays also were the night to go because it was thuged out tuesdays.

DC and Atlanta used to rival each other for black gay nightlife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM

524 posts, read 521,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnorman1814 View Post
Marketta sounds very close to Loretta's...
Edit

Last edited by IntentionsRGood; 06-25-2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I also like a previous poster mentioning Traxx. It, IMO, was the best predominately black gay club in the area (and if anyone has ever been there, you know it probably was the largest club period. OMG it was like being inside of Walmart). The owner's death around the time of Nikki Minaj's performance there was a horrible tragedy and has basically led to the death of the club. It closed it's old location and since has moved around at least once or twice to different locations, all being a significant downgrade and reduced experience to the former glory.
Nicki Minaj was 14 or 15 when David was killed. But you're right, his death signaled the demise of the Traxx era.

Last edited by IntentionsRGood; 06-25-2014 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 09:33 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
traxx never closed at 2:00am they stayed open to 4am and Tuesdays also were the night to go because it was thuged out tuesdays.

DC and Atlanta used to rival each other for black gay nightlife
Trust me, you're speaking to a Traxx vet. The one on Lucky closed at 2AM every Saturday. I can't count how many times I've closed Traxx then driven (along with at least 150 others!) to The Marquette on MLK since they stayed open several hours later. As a matter of fact, the Marquette wouldn't even become overrun with patrons until after 2 when the Traxx traffic began pouring in. The Marquette was also cheaper to get in, like 4-5 bucks.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Trust me, you're speaking to a Traxx vet. The one on Lucky closed at 2AM every Saturday.
It sure did.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Trust me, you're speaking to a Traxx vet. The one on Lucky closed at 2AM every Saturday. I can't count how many times I've closed Traxx then driven (along with at least 150 others!) to The Marquette on MLK since they stayed open several hours later. As a matter of fact, the Marquette wouldn't even become overrun with patrons until after 2 when the Traxx traffic began pouring in. The Marquette was also cheaper to get in, like 4-5 bucks.
You must have went in the 90s. because I started going to traxx around 2000 and There were plenty of of nights when we would go out around 1:30am and stay there till 4 and leave there and go to 708 because they stayed open till 6am.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:53 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You must have went in the 90s. because I started going to traxx around 2000 and There were plenty of of nights when we would go out around 1:30am and stay there till 4 and leave there and go to 708 because they stayed open till 6am.
This was in the early 90's before Loretta's was divided into two separate clubs, one of which being 708. Traxx on Luckie closed at 2AM, and Loretta's closed at 3AM. The only club that stayed open past 3AM was the Sweat-quette.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,544,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Nicki Minaj was 14 or 15 when David was killed. But you're right, his death signaled the demise of the Traxx era.
Was there a different owner that got shot? The guy that was shot died shortly before she came to be for me and they closed that location for good after she did. To me Traxx began and ended as far as I was concerned with that place. Its a tough bar to raise.

On a s/n, the nightlife is in need of some improvement. The 'hot' clubs now like Rain and 253 are hit and miss (miss more than hit) and wanna charge 15$ entry, aren't always that packed, and the drinks are hit or miss too. The you have Cream and Rush (chap) which are waaaaaaaaaaaaack

Old 06-26-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Was there a different owner that got shot? The guy that was shot died shortly before she came to be for me and they closed that location for good after she did. To me Traxx began and ended as far as I was concerned with that place. Its a tough bar to raise.

On a s/n, the nightlife is in need of some improvement. The 'hot' clubs now like Rain and 253 are hit and miss (miss more than hit) and wanna charge 15$ entry, aren't always that packed, and the drinks are hit or miss too. The you have Cream and Rush (chap) which are waaaaaaaaaaaaack
Durand died but the the last person to perform at Traxx was Brandy. After that it was a wash.

People go to blakes and then Mixx on Sunday. Cream Started out good when it first opened so did rain. But those young ratchet kids started coming so the more grown and sexy crowd stopped

The grown and sexy crowd started going to Warren huntleys events Vita which is goin on at club Opera. This is every 3rd Saturday.

There is a new black gay strip club to called in the cut.

Weekely hangout spots for black gay men now

Mondays: Monday drag show at the jungle
Tuesday: Swinging richards then R"ush Aka chapparel
Wed: None
Thursday: bull dogs
Friday: Eisenstein s then Mixx or Rain depending on what scene you like
Saturday: Bulldogs Club Opera 253 depending on what scene you like
Sunday: Blakes Mixx Cream again Depending on what scene you like

Also note lots of house parties pajama parties and pool parties go on during the summer

This Aja held at Opera on 3rd Saturdays

Last edited by Staysean23; 06-26-2014 at 03:04 AM..

Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM

108 posts, read 227,671 times
LOL, I was afraid to come back in this post. I AM HONESTLY CONFUSED! (lol)

I lived in ATL between 1989 and 1994; part of that time I lived at 870 Peachtree street at the Hotel that was across from Bulldog's with the big water fountain in the front. The infamous Cypress street was right behind where I lived. I remember many a night coming home from "whatever" and I could see the crowds of people coming up from Loretta's back there behind what I believe was North Ave Station. I was going to say I will take everybody's word that the pictures I've posted are in fact Loretta's but it seems your saying different things.

Please, if ANY of you come across a picture a picture of a club you know to be Traxx or Loretta's from that time with the actual logo..PLEASE POST IT.

I sent messages to the Facebook page for Traxx but I haven't received a reply. Sounds like these clubs have been constantly opening, closing and moving in the past few years.

Some time ago I called Damron to see if they had old books from the past and someone was nice enough to fax me a couple of pages and NONE of these clubs with the exception of Bulldog's was listed. So that means all this activity has been in the last 20yrs. I'm going to reread all these messages and try to make heads or tails of it. (LOL)

But I truly appreciate all the help. I'm thankful that you all took the time to try to help me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta