Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,750,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
CCT is a joke. It stops running at 11 pm, doesn't even run on Sundays and they only have like 16 or 17 routes for a county of damn near a million people.
And Cobb's transit system in general has what to do with your game-day experience? They haven't even announced whether or not they will be increasing frequency during games, and going on Sunday game-days, so you're making a lot of assumptions.

MARTA buses also go to the CCT transfer station from Arts Center so if you don't like CCT, then ride MARTA.

It seems to me that you are just looking for something to whine about because you are sad the Braves left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,089,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Because you won't be walking by either or walking on a 12 lane street's sidewalk?

You really need to learn the area better. Go out and walk it, and use the pedestrian bridge, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Btw, before you use any excuse to erroneously throw in Waffle House to your inaccurate statements just to bash the suburbs, let me just remind you that there are SEVEN waffle houses in Atlanta. And FIVE - yes, that's right - FIVE Wal-Marts in Atlanta. There are NONE in Cumberland and Smyrna. A big fat zilch. How is driving by Wal-Mart on I-75 part of the Falcons game-day experience?
Horrible comparison. LOL. Walking by something that is right outside the stadium compared to a random business that is not even that close to where the Falcons play. But I'll play your game, that very same street that Wal Mart sits on also has some of the top restaurants in the city and even the country not even 2 miles down the street headed south, a food truck park right on the other side of 75 and has more things to do and see within a 2 mile radius than Smyrna could ever hope for. People from Smryna and Cobb come to that area all the time to eat and hang out, but people from Howell Mill don't go up there to do the same. Cobb is about as *yawn* as it gets, at least Gwinnett and North Fulton have cool parts. Cobb has the Big Chicken and a new baseball stadium that you will have to walk over an interstate to get to. Wow. Congrats.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
And Cobb's transit system in general has what to do with your game-day experience? They haven't even announced whether or not they will be increasing frequency during games, and going on Sunday game-days, so you're making a lot of assumptions.

MARTA buses also go to the CCT transfer station from Arts Center so if you don't like CCT, then ride MARTA.

It seems to me that you are just looking for something to whine about because you are sad the Braves left.
No actually I am not. The average American has never heard of Cobb County, so they will always be the Atlanta Braves. There will still be a cursive A in the middle of that blue and red hat. And to be honest I am such a Braves fan that I hate to turn on the TV and see empty seats in Turner Field. So if this move enables more fans to come to the game then I am all for it. But don't sit here and tell me that the game day experience will be "un-rivaled" and the best n the majors, because that is very, very, very untrue. Trust me when I say that the first All Star game held at this new ball park will be an excuse for out of town media to make fun of us once again.

If anything I am happy and excited to see what will become of the Summerhill area. IMO Turner Field and the old Fulton Co Stadium blocked development over there.

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 07-01-2014 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Walking by something that is right outside the stadium compared to a
For the third time now, you aren't walking by it. You won't even see it if you take the bus because you'll be walking over a pedestrian bridge across Cobb parkway on the other side of the highway, with waffle house completely out of view.

I have walked by the downtown Waffle House to get to the convention center and let me tell you, it has just ruined my life. The fact that there are three downtown close to the GA dome is like they are trying to surround you and pick your pockets. Maybe even devour people. In a worst-case scenario, you may accidentally walk into one, and vanish forever.
3 > 1. So downtown is the most inhospitable place in the world for sports fans, apparently. Considering I work downtown, I think I should fear the waffle house going forward. Maybe I should quit my job.

Quote:
that very same street that Wal Mart sits on also has some of the top restaurants in the city
Mostly chains. We don't bother going there.

Quote:
and even the country not even 2 miles down the street headed south, a food truck park right on the other side of 75 and has more things to do and see within a 2 mile radius than Smyrna could ever hope for.
Smyrna has food trucks at Tayler Brawner park and a farmers' market downtown and one nearby across from Ivy Walk.

Quote:
People from Smryna and Cobb come to that area all the time to eat and hang out
Nope. I may get fast food there on the way home if I'm really hungry if I-75 is backed up. It's loaded not just with restaurant chains and big box stores but with fast food chains on Howell Mill right outside of where the Wal-Mart is. Arby's, Taco Bell, Wendy's...

That place should be in Cherokee County.

The only thing it has going for it is underground parking.

And lest we forget, it has a Wal-Mart.

I'd hate to see what they bull-dozed to put it there, because for something like that to be an improvement, it must have been pretty bad. Maybe it was a strip joint like like that one nearby on Northside or the dilapidated motel right there as well.

Last edited by netdragon; 07-01-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 PM

The intention is not to sit there and make an example of Berkeley Park. It's a cute area and has a lot of good things about it. Instead, it's to show you how ridiculous you are being.

Every area has its plusses and minuses, so check your tone, dude

Old 07-01-2014, 11:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,248,526 times
netdragon, could you print your last couple of posts out and pin them up behind your computer so we don't have to hear you complain about a lack of civility in the metro again? It seems to me that you spend a lot of time trying to make Cobb county look favorable compared to Atlanta based on really weird criteria (number of Wal-Marts inside certain political boundaries, proximities of Waffle Houses, etc.)

Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:

Mostly chains. We don't bother going there.

Smyrna has food trucks at Tayler Brawner park and a farmers' market downtown and one nearby across from Ivy Walk.

Nope. I may get fast food there on the way home if I'm really hungry if I-75 is backed up. It's loaded not just with restaurant chains and big box stores but with fast food chains on Howell Mill right outside of where the Wal-Mart is. Arby's, Taco Bell, Wendy's...

You can also add Neuvo Laredo, Optimist, Baccanalia, Abattoir, Star Provisions, Flip Burger and West Egg (Just to name a few) to that list of restaurants in the same area as that dreaded Wal Mart you speak of.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,342,356 times
Quote:
Because you won't be walking by either or walking on a 12 lane street's sidewalk?

You really need to learn the area better. Go out and walk it, and use the pedestrian bridge, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Btw, before you use any excuse to erroneously throw in a Waffle House that you're not going to walk by to try to bolster your inaccurate statements just to bash the suburbs, let me just remind you that there are SEVEN waffle houses in Atlanta, three in close walking distance of the GA Dome. And FIVE - yes, that's right - FIVE Wal-Marts in Atlanta. There are NONE in Cumberland and Smyrna. A big fat zilch. Oh, they tried, but Smyrna kept Wal-Mart out. Atlanta couldn't do it. How is driving by Wal-Mart on I-75 part of the Falcons game-day experience?
That's the pedestrian bridge that they've yet to identify funding for to a parking lot that they have not secured the rights for.

You do know there is a Walmart 2.3 miles from the Cobb stadium location right? The Georgia Dome is almost 5 miles from that I-75 Howell Mill Super Walmart you speak of (hint there is one two miles west of the dome) so at best you've got a draw. Also Smyrna proper is 16 sq miles and Cumberland is 5sq miles. Grand total, that's 16% the area of Atlanta. The Cobb Pkwy Wal-Mart is also only 3.6 miles away from Smyrna City Hall and there's another one on the E/W connector so it's not like the area is devoid of Walmarts.

I lived in Vinings and Marietta(2008) for several years and worked in Vinings for 2 yrs (2011). That Barnes & Noble was pretty much my office for several years when I worked remotely. The area sucks hard...traffic is bad, the restaurant options are terrible (unless you go DT Vinings), and about my only fond memory of the area was a Hooters waitress I had an encounter with years back. Cobb Parkway north of 285 around the base is seriously run down and probably rivals Memorial Drive for the number of empty storefronts. My roommate managed to get his car broken into at LA Fitness at Cumberland (for his shoes) and by some miracle they missed stealing his gun. Every property crime I've ever dealt with has happened in Gwinnett or Cobb and have never had an issue in 6 yrs of living in Midtown.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
You do know there is a Walmart 2.3 miles from the Cobb stadium location right?
The one just North of Terrell Mill is in Marietta, not Cumberland or Smyrna. Smyrna residents have fought successfully to prevent openings of Wal-Marts in Smyrna city itself. Wal-Mart was trying to get into Belmont Hills, for instance, and was blocked. I don't think it's fair to count ones opened outside of control of Smyrna or the Cumberland CID since there's nothing that could have been done to stop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Cobb Parkway north of 285 around the base is seriously run down and probably rivals Memorial Drive for the number of empty storefronts.
I agree that is a run-down area once you get North of Cumberland Blvd, more or less. It's why I want the BRT to go in.

Last edited by netdragon; 07-02-2014 at 12:45 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,342,356 times
Quote:
The one just North of Terrell Mill is in Marietta, not Cumberland or Smyrna. Smyrna residents have fought successfully openings of Wal-Marts. Wal-Mart was trying to get into Belmont Hills, for instance. I don't think it's a draw when a Wal-Mart is opened in areas outside of either Smyrna or the CID. Atlanta had the opportunity to block the Wal-Marts, Smyrna and Cumberland CID didn't.
That Walmart is a few hundred yards(at most) from Smyrna city limits. Getting into a semantic battle b/c Smyrna is a dot on the map ignores the fact that there are plenty of Walmarts in the vicinity and may actually be closer to city limits than the new Cobb Stadium. Also, you have an ability to stay up mighty late debating this. I'm out west avoiding some late night work so that's my excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta