Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:02 PM

559 posts, read 832,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The so called "ball" in this case was $400 million in public funds and selling public land in a non-competitive process.
I'll give you the $368 million, but what "public land in a non-competitive process" do you speak of?

The Braves?

BF Saul is a private REIT in Bethesda, Maryland that owned the Circle 75 land since the 80's. The Braves went to Saul directly and purchased 57 acres, then another 25 acres in April.

Saul has been the major land owner in that area for over 25 years. Apparently, they are finally ready to ring the register because they also sold a 17 acre tract on Herodian and Circle 75 to Ryland that is becoming 74 town homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
With nothing but respect, just because you keep repeating that doesn't make it true. The so called "ball" in this case was $400 million in public funds and selling public land in a non-competitive process.
Since DawgPark already covered BF Saul, I'll just say that Atlanta had plenty of time to prepare for this.

Just thank Cobb for the Braves not leaving the state. Atlanta had plenty of time to come up with a few hundred million dollars and dropped the ball. And btw, I'm not going to naively say that Cobb may have accelerated things a bit as far as the Braves leaving CoA. Cobb is competitive with Fulton county, for sure, and Cobb needed it much more than Atlanta, and Atlanta was more focused on the Falcons which bring in more money. However, it would have happened one day and the Braves would have stopped extending their lease a year at a time after they put something up in another state.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
I'll give you the $368 million, but what "public land in a non-competitive process" do you speak of?
tikigod was likely referring to Turner Field and its parking lots. As you've stated the Cobb site was private land.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Since DawgPark already covered BF Saul, I'll just say that Atlanta had plenty of time to prepare for this.

Just thank Cobb for the Braves not leaving the state. Atlanta had plenty of time to come up with a few hundred million dollars and dropped the ball. And btw, I'm not going to naively say that Cobb may have accelerated things a bit as far as the Braves leaving CoA.
As a City of Atlanta resident, I don't consider Reed and Co. not forking over hundreds of millions of dollars to the Braves "dropping the ball."

Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 AM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
As a City of Atlanta resident, I don't consider Reed and Co. not forking over hundreds of millions of dollars to the Braves "dropping the ball."
As a Cobb resident, I actually agree with you. I don't think Reed "dropped the ball". As stated many times, the Falcons were just a higher priority for him to keep. And he did.

The Braves were Tier 2 on his priority list and they were #1 on Cobb's list. As Net said, Cobb needed the Braves more than ATL.

And I've heard from more than one source that the Braves move to Cobb was something Schuerholz and the Braves leaders had envisioned for nearly 10 years. This was not the spur-of-the-moment, walking out of negotiations w/ Reed decision that some make it out to be.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
I'm just glad Cobb was there to pick up the slack when COA dropped the ball. But that's the advantage of having a strong metro -- when one area gets in trouble another part of town is usually able to fill the breach.
As a city of Atlanta residents I am shocked you would say this. You would rather have your tax money spent on a privately owned team full of millionaires? The New Atlanta stadium is a much better deal. The Dome is taxpayer funded, owned by the state agency, GWCC. It was built with 100% taxpayer money and maintained with taxpayer money, with some coming from the Falcons, GSU, and other events. Now the state of Georgia is getting a new multi-use stadium on its premiere convention center property, for a lot less than it would have cost to upgrade the Dome.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
One thing I don't understand is COA people fretting about the financing details in Cobb. It's not costing them a dime and they still have great access to the team.

It's not like COA is any stranger to taxpayer funding of private business anyway. They've been doling out hundreds of millions (if not billions) for many years. They could just as easily have used their portion of the hotel tax for the Braves like they do for the Falcons.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
One thing I don't understand is COA people fretting about the financing details in Cobb. It's not costing them a dime and they still have great access to the team.
How is building a stadium that is only accessible by car 'great access'?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
On a personal level, it's because my dad, uncle, and cousin own homes in Cobb County and will be paying for this through their property taxes without a say in the matter (all three of them also oppose the deal).

Quote:
They could just as easily have used their portion of the hotel tax for the Braves like they do for the Falcons.
And it would've been a horrible decision, particularly since the city would've had to make up the cut to the general fund somewhere else.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:49 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,217,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Actually, the city dropped the ball. The Braves were very clear to the city that they needed to make a decision right then and there, that they couldn't wait until 2016 since they needed years to build the replacement if it came to that. The city put all their eggs in the Falcons basket, and you can't fault them for that, but you can't also blame the Braves for the city making that decision. Furthermore, the city had done nothing with the surrounding area of the stadium, which actually violated their agreements with the Braves.
Not even close, but don't let the facts (the Braves' unreasonable and unethical demands for developing Summerhill) get in your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta