Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_IN_AUG View Post
One thing I have noticed from a lot of ATL residents is that they pretty much hate the city and want to live in a more traditional rural setting. Is this because of the cities new culture and no past of being such a large entity?
The city of Atlanta was more populous 50 years ago than it is today. So we do have a history as a large entity.

That doesn't mean we don't appreciate elbow room just like folks everywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:04 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times
Quote:
One thing I have noticed from a lot of ATL residents is that they pretty much hate the city and want to live in a more traditional rural setting. Is this because of the cities new culture and no past of being such a large entity?
I think you're confusing Atlanta residents with Atlanta metro residents. I doubt there are very many people in Atlanta proper who hate cities and want to live in a rural area. Now if you mean people in the suburbs, then it's probably a combination of this being the South which has traditionally been pretty rural, and the whole sprawl thing that happened everywhere in the 20th century. Entire generations have been raised in a time when most cities were dangerous and unpleasant. That sentiment isn't unique to the Atlanta area.

Atlanta has been a big city for longer than most of us have been around. The metro population was already over 1 million in the 1950s.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It sounds nice on paper, but how do you get a week of groceries and carry them home without a car? How do you do a Costco run? How do you buy a TV? I wouldn't even be able to haul my monthly 26 lb. bag of dog food home without a car. What about when it's raining? Or 90 degrees?

I understand the concept of walkability, and I think the idea of walking to restaurants, bars, concerts and stuff is great. It's awesome, I totally wish I could do it!

But from a pragmatic standpoint, walking to do errands just isn't the best way to get many of them done. Plus, it severely limits your choices.

Of course, I'm probably lazy. Even when I lived less than half a mile from a MARTA station, I still usually drove there and parked in the lot rather than hoof it!
Well both sides are pragmatic, but they are stressing things.

Many singles being pragmatic want the social atmosphere and more likely bump into more singles. They want to walk to a bar and not worry about driving home. They don't want to worry about or the added expense of a yard, but they do want a social gathering area... (pool, back deck, pub, coffee shop, etc..) within an arms reach.

Some people also like the pragmatic stand point of just knowing they are not depending on their car and putting as much pollution into the air.

Inversely, like many of your points, the benefits of the suburbs is once you are in a car-oriented area, you can really open yourself up to -MANY- shopping amenities within a 15 minute drive. Much more so than if you were walking. There is a reason Ansley notices how much better the grocery shopping is. It is a competitive marketplace. You can make a huge grocery store and many people can drive to it within a reasonable amount of time. They compete by their size and offerings.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 PM

858 posts, read 1,384,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Inversely, like many of your points, the benefits of the suburbs is once you are in a car-oriented area, you can really open yourself up to -MANY- shopping amenities within a 15 minute drive.

I have at least a dozen major grocery stores within a 15 minute drive. That's not a benefit of suburbs. It's a benefit of driving.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,336 times
God invented little wire carts to haul your groceries in. Im not gonna lie -i'm actually pondering one of those trikes with the baskets in the back for when my area ginally rwaches the density in my imagination.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

I have at least a dozen major grocery stores within a 15 minute drive. That's not a benefit of suburbs. It's a benefit of driving.
Well, no it's not. But some folks think you have to sit in traffic for an hour in the burbs just to go shopping. That is far from the truth.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Mike in Aug, geez another thread.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 AM

550 posts, read 988,974 times
I would love to live in the city. The only thing holding us back is cost. But for now, other than my husband's commute, East Cobb is the best fit for our family and we are happy here.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 PM

283 posts, read 360,251 times
Quote:
ATL resident, who live in the suburbs, what are the main reasons you live in the suburbs?
Because I haven't received any offers on my house yet.

In other news, does anyone want to buy a house in Woodstock?

No, but really - when I bought my house out here I worked in the suburbs. It was affordable for what I was looking for as a first-time buyer and the property taxes are cheaper. And, of course, there isn't too bad of a crime issue. Pretty typical suburbia.

But now I work downtown and would love to be a little closer.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We intowners have developed a different sensibility. It's simply not that hard to carry home a freshly baked baguette, a slice of cheese and whatever fresh vegetable happens to be in the local market. On occasion we may pick up a fresh fish or a bottle of wine but these are not major burdens. If necessary we simply hop on our bikes or take the local streetcar. The exercise keeps us nice and slim as well.

Yet somehow we still find ample time for reading, attending the symphony or visiting with friends in one of the many pubs that line our streets.

It's just a different world here in the city.
At best, this is an incredibly romanticized take on Atlanta in town living. Almost to the point of being a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta