Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:58 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times

Advertisements

With all the speeding and aggressive driving that goes on in this town you have to wonder why we don't have more speed cameras. I would support them.

Growing number of Maryland municipalities using speed cameras - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Because they're unconstitutional, you hope they're properly calibrated, and as the article all but admits, they're all about revenue and not safety. They'll also drastically increase congestion. Most people will slow down right when they hit the camera, then speed back up again. Their brake lights cause the traffic behind to hit their brakes which ripples back and slows everyone down to well below the speed limit, which guess what? Will cause collisions.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
How are they unconstitutional?

Old 07-22-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
They'll also drastically increase congestion. Most people will slow down right when they hit the camera, then speed back up again. Their brake lights cause the traffic behind to hit their brakes which ripples back and slows everyone down to well below the speed limit, which guess what? Will cause collisions.
Doesn't seem like that would happen if folks are simply driving the speed limit and maintaining awareness and a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

The problem here is that you have people tearing around like maniacs, and many are on their cell phones to boot.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,522,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
How are they unconstitutional?
I can't call a chunk of computer hardware to the stand in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Doesn't seem like that would happen if folks are simply driving the speed limit and maintaining awareness and a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

The problem here is that you have people tearing around like maniacs, and many are on their cell phones to boot.
Which will still happen just out of range of the cameras, unless you literally invest billions of dollars for a camera on every mile of road. How are you going to change people's behavior? I mean people doing the speed limit will still slam on their brakes when they see a cop on the side of the road with his radar gun out. So yes, it WILL happen.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
I don't want any cameras, be it red light or speed. But at least devote 5 or so cops to enforce some traffic laws off the interstate. Roads in Atlanta are borderline anarchy. I'm getting so sick of people running reds to the point I'm waiting seconds to move after my light turn green. Flagrant disregard of the law.

Allowing people to break traffic laws without consequence sets a tone for this city. If you can break those laws, you can probably break others too. There should be some threat of a ticket for all the reckless driving and red light running. As it is now, I feel like I could get away with anything as long as I didn't hit anybody.

With that said, please no cameras. They feel so authoritarian. I don't want some Park Atlanta-esque enforcement of traffic laws.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I can't call a chunk of computer hardware to the stand in court.
How is a camera different from any other piece of forensic equipment?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,278 times
Waste of time. I think Georgia has a ban on all new red light cameras, I'm sure this would apply to new speeding cameras. Also, like MattCW says, they are all about revenue. Several of cameras in the city were removed because they were too costly to maintain, i.e. Spring and North Ave. Drivers adapt to them and they are no longer revenue streams.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Anything that will get people to slow down and quit driving so aggressively would be greatly welcomed. If it produces revenue, so much the better.

I've never understood the objections to these cameras anyway. Either you are speeding or not. Same with red light cameras.

Just follow the common sense rules and you've got nothing to worry about.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
they're all about revenue and not safety.
I remember when Gwinnett PD couldn't use radar guns. Accidents went up. Barely. It wasn't enough to be considered a result of no radar gun use. I couldn't really tell a difference. People do a remarkable job of self policing for what they feel is safe. I do think there needs to be a larger presence but speeding isn't really the issue in most situations. I see traffic flowing at 60 in a 45 all the time yet most wrecks I see are at intersections for some sort of failure to yield or running lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta