U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 AM

4,184 posts, read 4,872,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Democrats vs Republicans is a continuation of the two-party system (originally federalists and anti-federalists) that has controlled the population through divide-and-conquer since the beginning of the country. If you can't have real balance, then people settle for balance of polarities. The system needs to be fixed.

Whereas, liberal vs conservative was concocted by the skull and cross-bones society and is another divide-and-conquer strategy.

Both of these systems are doomed as people become more aware. E.g. I expect the U.S. to become a multi-party system pretty soon.
it's not possible for the US to be a multi-party system. the electoral college requires a majority to win the presidency, and many states require majorities to win senate seats.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM

1,164 posts, read 966,458 times
Quote:
Both of these systems are doomed as people become more aware. E.g. I expect the U.S. to become a multi-party system pretty soon.
You're gonna want a constitutional convention to switch the U.S. to a parliamentary system, then. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,261,965 times
Nathan Deal and Sonny Perdue are liberal Democrats? Oh come on now, seriously?

You are simply trying to frame the America/Georgia political narrative as far right as possible.

I seriously have to wonder who is paying you to push that canard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Deal and his predecessor Sonny Perdue are liberal Democrats who became Republicans in name only. The trend has been liberal Democrats switching political parties to hold their place in office and fend off Republicans in their own party.

The Republican Party in Georgia will struggle in this year's elections if it continues to lean left and liberal.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 AM

4,184 posts, read 4,872,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Nathan Deal and Sonny Perdue are liberal Democrats? Oh come on now, seriously?

You are simply trying to frame the America/Georgia political narrative as far right as possible.

I seriously have to wonder who is paying you to push that canard.
i got this as a rep point for my post:

"Deal and Perdue are Republicans...in name only. Both homosexual liberals support gay marriage."

this person *has* to be a troll. it's just too much.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM

8,088 posts, read 4,424,278 times
You realize that whichever political party is in charge of a state's legislature in Census years is the party that gets to redraw the congressional district map, right? So, come 2020 census if the dems or a party other than the repubs are in control, then they will have the opportunity to redraw the congressional district maps. Subject to DOJ approval, of course. Which was the case with the current district map.

Its politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the reason they hold such a command over the state legislature is undoubtedly due to gerrymandering. taking a look at the district map for the house, you can see several more liberal areas are 'cracked', such as athens, which has 3 districts covering the city that extend far into the country in order to create 3 solidly republican districts:

Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM

8,088 posts, read 4,424,278 times
Yet, many rail against the Tea Party wing of the Republican Party. Regardless of that groups foibles, or successes, it is the most viable option of a potential third party to come around in the history of our country. Will they continue to be viable, or disappear is up to history.
Quote:
Democrats vs Republicans is a continuation of the two-party system (originally federalists and anti-federalists) that has controlled the population through divide-and-conquer since the beginning of the country. If you can't have real balance, then people settle for balance of polarities. The system needs to be fixed.

Whereas, liberal vs conservative was concocted by the skull and cross-bones society and is another divide-and-conquer strategy.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM

1,164 posts, read 966,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Yet, many rail against the Tea Party wing of the Republican Party. Regardless of that groups foibles, or successes, it is the most viable option of a potential third party to come around in the history of our country. Will they continue to be viable, or disappear is up to history.
In fairness, many rail against the Tea Party because they're by-and-large crazed wingnuts. Nevertheless, I strongly support their split from the Republican Party. Let the GOP return to the party of Eisenhower -- pro-business, fiscal conservatism and realist foreign policy -- and let the Tea Party represent the declining but still influential White Conservative Christian rump.

Make it so!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:50 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,904,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
In fairness, many rail against the Tea Party because they're by-and-large crazed wingnuts. Nevertheless, I strongly support their split from the Republican Party. Let the GOP return to the party of Eisenhower -- pro-business, fiscal conservatism and realist foreign policy -- and let the Tea Party represent the declining but still influential White Conservative Christian rump.

Make it so!
I've actually bedbugs wanting them to split and form another party. It'd be great if we had a divide up like Europe does with Democrats (liberal party), Republicans (moderates), and Tea (conservative party). This divide up would be more atune to the reality of modern society where social issues aren't held to such a traditional stance and progress is understood to be a necessity, while those who don't like significant change still have representation, just not the power to stop things on the National or usually whole state level.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 AM

10,026 posts, read 9,346,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I've actually bedbugs wanting them to split and form another party. It'd be great if we had a divide up like Europe does with Democrats (liberal party), Republicans (moderates), and Tea (conservative party). This divide up would be more atune to the reality of modern society where social issues aren't held to such a traditional stance and progress is understood to be a necessity, while those who don't like significant change still have representation, just not the power to stop things on the National or usually whole state level.
So all of those non-Tea Party Republicans are going to have to become moderate? And, I don't think you could push the Tea Party hard enough to the left for them to become conservative.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 AM

10,588 posts, read 7,525,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post

Make it so!
I support this except I would say "pro-free-market" instead of "pro-business". I think pro-business is used as an excuse to give kick-backs in the form of tax breaks where as government really should be trying to make a better environment for all businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta