Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times

Advertisements

Abbots Bridge to Medlock Bridge runs about 4 hours. It's a good lazy float. Just leave one car at the bottom and run a shuttle. Everyone is required to have a life jacket, and DNR rangers are out there checking during the summer. You don't have to be wearing it, just have it. The water is COLD, as it comes off the bottom of a lake. Luckily you can do the Abbots/Medlock route and get no deeper than your ankles because there are ramps at both locations. The water levels are pretty tame on weekends to keep people safer.

This is a great float for two people and has a cooler as well (most important part): http://www.amazon.com/River-Run-II-I...x+river+run+II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Go to Cobb County near 75/285. Hundreds of people per hour are out there having fun. Normally they set up with two vehicles. One vehicle will be parked and the ending point and use another vehicle to get to the beginning point. It looks very relaxing. They had their beer drinking and relaxing on the water. If you are driving in Cobb on 285 on the weekend look over at the river and you will see plenty of people tubing

Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
This is my preferred tube- Amazon.com: Intex River Run I: Toys & Games
You can even get them at walmart for about $18.

I have stopped at a small park and walked up the trail the parallels the river as far as I could with my tubes, about 15 min walk, and put in. Very short float, but all you have to do is wedge yourself on some rocks and it is pretty much as fun as floating for a few hours.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's the preferred approach if somebody has to go when they are on a raft?
Depends on what ya gotta go for, arjay!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's the preferred approach if somebody has to go when they are on a raft?
The simple answer is that you don't buy or rent tubes with a solid bottom. Open or mesh (preferred) only.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
The simple answer is that you don't buy or rent tubes with a solid bottom. Open or mesh (preferred) only.
Why not?

I've been looking for tubes with a solid bottom for some time and have never been able to find one. Because your butt goes numb after 15 minutes on the mesh! Of course, when you have to use the bathroom, the mesh makes it super easy!

Old 07-28-2014, 10:46 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
It doesn't even feel like you are 10 mins from downtown when tubing near 75 on the Fulton/Cobb border

Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM

245 posts, read 652,463 times
ATLTJL is right about getting stuck, it moves so slowly in some places that you may as well just throw a tube in a swimming pool, you'll get the same experience. I did tubes once & never again, it's too boring. I think you might have more fun in a canoe or something with paddles. Be sure to go thru the areas with shoals, those are what makes it fun.

fortunately this year we've had enough rain that it's not gotten super low. I have in the past bottomed out in a canoe in the middle of the river & had to get out & walk it. The river is very shallow in a good number of places.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
I truly think Helen is worth the drive up (and back!). The water is much warmer since it is above the dam---in the metro area, the water is constantly 55 degrees. And the float along the river (about 2 hours now that the river is so full, $3 to $5 for the tube rental including the shuttle) is so fun, with these cute mountain cabin homes right on the river and stuff like the Tree of Lost Soles (lost flip flops nailed onto it). And Helen, kitschy though it is, is fun to walk around and then eat at the restaurant right on the river.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Why not?

I've been looking for tubes with a solid bottom for some time and have never been able to find one. Because your butt goes numb after 15 minutes on the mesh! Of course, when you have to use the bathroom, the mesh makes it super easy!

Sit on your life jacket. Problem solved. We've pretty much got floating the 'Hooch down to a science, and do it several times per summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: