Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:29 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
10min train ride (yes that is how long the ride from East Lake is) plus a mile walk is not anywhere near as unreasonable as a 1.5+ hour one-way trip to Cobb.
No kidding; at what point did we have to start pretending that the bus from Arts Center is an easy and convenient way to get to the new stadium? Around the time it became clear that Cobb was never going to get its act together w/r/t transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:50 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Having actually ridden route 10, I can attest that it's a pain, and that was midday, I don't even want to think how slow it is during rush hour. I haven't ridden the express routes yet, but I can't imagine they're much faster, route 10 is basically express until shortly before Cumberland.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Cobb County : Atlanta :: Oakland County : Detroit

Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
10min train ride (yes that is how long the ride from East Lake is) plus a mile walk is not anywhere near as unreasonable as a 1.5+ hour one-way trip to Cobb.
I believe you about the train ride. Assume you live at East Lake station, so it's ten minutes by train, half an hour to walk to the stadium, so forty minutes. That's fine.

But I don't see how you get 1.5 hours for the trip to Cumberland. It's, what, twenty or thirty minutes by train to Arts Center; MARTA says it's twenty-two minutes by CCT to Cumblerland -- say it's thirty to get dropped off at the stadium. Seems like it's maybe an hour, probably less, compared to forty minutes to Turner Field. Less convenient? Sure. The "logistical nightmare" the guy describes? Come on.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I believe you about the train ride. Assume you live at East Lake station, so it's ten minutes by train, half an hour to walk to the stadium, so forty minutes. That's fine.

But I don't see how you get 1.5 hours for the trip to Cumberland. It's, what, twenty or thirty minutes by train to Arts Center; MARTA says it's twenty-two minutes by CCT to Cumblerland -- say it's thirty to get dropped off at the stadium. Seems like it's maybe an hour, probably less, compared to forty minutes to Turner Field. Less convenient? Sure. The "logistical nightmare" the guy describes? Come on.
The longest wait on MARTA for pre-game will be 12 minutes, the longest wait on CCT could be an hour. Their buses just don't run that often. That's one of the biggest complaints with CCT's system.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:29 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Bus ride to Cumberland alone is scheduled at 37 mins. You are allowing no time in between stops or for walking any distance. Put the route in Google and see what you get.

30 min mile is a slow walk too.

I don't live in East Lake, but the author of the original article stated that he lived 100 ft from East Lake MARTA station.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:45 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Get a car and drive like a big boy. Problem solved.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:49 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Be that as it may, the question remains - so what? Ask someone who lives in Cobb County or Roswell how long it takes for them to get to a game now versus after the move. For them it saves a ton of time.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Get a car and drive like a big boy. Problem solved.
So you've gone from a 1.5 hour bus ride, to a 1.5 hour car ride. Most people actually don't prefer driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Be that as it may, the question remains - so what? Ask someone who lives in Cobb County or Roswell how long it takes for them to get to a game now versus after the move. For them it saves a ton of time.
People in Roswell can take MARTA. People in Cobb are going against the flow. During the weekday, a lot of people were already in-town anyways, now they'll have to join the slog back into Cobb County instead of just driving a few miles, or jumping on MARTA.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:04 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The longest wait on MARTA for pre-game will be 12 minutes, the longest wait on CCT could be an hour. Their buses just don't run that often. That's one of the biggest complaints with CCT's system.
I'll go out on a limb and guess there won't be an hour between buses on game day.

Quote:
Bus ride to Cumberland alone is scheduled at 37 mins. You are allowing no time in between stops or for walking any distance. Put the route in Google and see what you get.
Maybe Google is showing you a non-express bus. I mean, according to Google, in current traffic, it would take me 15 minutes to drive there myself, with no HOV lane. The MARTA estimate of 22 minutes sounds right.

ETA: I did as you suggested and plugged it into Google: 1 hour and 7 minutes for the whole trip, leaving East Lake at 5:30 on a weekday.

Quote:
30 min mile is a slow walk too.
Well, it's rather generous for someone with school-age children in tow.

Anyway, it will obviously take the guy longer to get to the park than it would currently. Nothing like 1.5 hours, though. And of course it wouldn't be any faster in a train than in an express bus. A rational discussion of the issue -- calling out the need for more frequent CCT buses on game days, for example -- would have been useful. The emotional, hypersensitive "Cobb County Braves" and "they don't like trains" stuff isn't going to persuade anyone who isn't already a member of the team. And the fact that he didn't even mention the transit option is all the evidence anyone needs that he was being willfully dishonest.

Last edited by Cameron H; 07-29-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta