Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times

Advertisements

On Missing the Braves - Curbed Atlanta

My Town, My Team: Thomas Lake on the Braves' move to Cobb County - MLB - SI.com

Quote:
We live 100 yards from the railroad tracks, and we hear the noise day and night: The blasting horns, the clattering boxcars, the MARTA trains whining like broken violins. To the kids it might as well be Disneyland. “Big frain,” my 21‑month-old son says when he hears the whistle. “Go see it!” We dash to the corner. “Hi, big frain,” he says, as if greeting an old friend.

The boy loves trains as much as he loves playing catch. He thinks everything is a ball, even cellphones and glass jars. He lies awake at night, singing about baseball bats. His favorite garment is a second*hand Braves T‑shirt with Jason Heyward’s name on the back. In the car on the way to the grocery store, I turn on the radio. “Bay-ball game,” he says, hearing the crowd noise.

I can imagine many years of *father-son excursions, built around our favorite things. The boy and I walk a quarter mile to the nearest MARTA station, East Lake, joined by Johnny, his favorite uncle, and along the way we teach him about our favorite baseball team. We tell him about the Braves of our own childhood, the losing, the losing, the miracle of 1991, the hanging curve to Kirby Puckett, the ’92 home plate slide by Sid Bream. We ride our favorite mode of transportation four stops west to the Georgia State station downtown. From there we walk a mile south to Turner Field. Uncle Johnny takes our picture by the Hank Aaron statue. We buy our tickets, high above home plate, for as little as $14.50 each. We stop at the H&F stand for ice-cold Cokes and the best ballpark burgers in America. Then we sit down in our favorite stadium to watch baseball as the sun sets beyond our favorite skyline.

But this is wishful thinking. After the 2016 season, long before my son calculates his first batting average, the Braves will leave Atlanta for a new stadium in the northwestern suburbs. In truth, if not in name, they will become the Cobb County Braves. And for us, a weeknight game will *become a logistical nightmare.

What will I say when he asks me why the team moved? I could tell him Turner Field was too old, but that would be a lie. It opened for baseball just 17 years ago. The Braves claim it needs $150 million worth of improvements, but it still looks new, inside and out.

I could say the Braves did what the people of metro Atlanta *wanted, but that would be pure speculation. Team officials made sure the public had no chance to sway their decision. They formed their plans in secret and *announced them as if they’d been written in stone. “If it had leaked out,” team president John Schuerholz said, “this deal would not have gotten done.”

I could tell him part of the Braves’ argument against Turner Field is its supposed “lack of consistent mass-transit* options,” but that would be disingenuous. You can reach the current stadium by train and an easy walk, as we do, or by train and a short ride on a shuttle bus, as many others do. The new stadium will open in a county where the MARTA line has never gone. In essence, the Braves are saying, “This river’s too shallow. Let’s move to the desert!”

Cobb County opted out of *MARTA in the 1970s, and it has no imminent plan to opt back in. “Let me make this perfectly clear: There is going to be no MARTA system coming to Cobb County,” county commission chairman Tim Lee told The Marietta Daily Journal in 2011. Two years later, when the Braves announced their move, Cobb County Republican Party chairman Joe Dendy said, “The solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east, where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from *Atlanta.”

I tried moving my car into Cobb County on a recent Friday at rush hour. So did a lot of people. It took me 40 minutes to go seven miles, from Decatur to Midtown, and I still had nine miles to go. There is no way to know what will happen when game-night traffic and rush-hour traffic mingle on poor old I-75, but I suspect it will be no place for children. The Braves say the new stadium will offer a better fan experience. And it probably will, if you already live in the northern suburbs. The southeastern fans will be stuck in their cars, listening on the radio.

My son and I will ride downtown for Hawks games. We will ride downtown for Falcons games. We will probably ride downtown for Major League Soccer games when the new team starts playing, in 2017. And when he asks why we don’t go to more Cobb County Braves games, I’ll give him the best answer I can.

They don’t like trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,259,707 times
I've never cared much about baseball, but I really feel for Braves fans in the city. For them it's not about public subsidies, perimeter traffic, or Cobb county politics; it's about an Atlanta institution, their team, leaving the heart of the city for a new home that doesn't seem to like us very much. The "Cobb Home of the Braves" t-shirts made by Cobb Braves fans just made that too painfully clear.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times
Don't worry it will fail...

Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Sounds kindly bogus to me.

You've got a guy in his early 30s imagining that he will someday feel wistful about experiences he and his son didn't actually have?

I appreciate creativity but isn't that like me saying me and my boy are really going to miss all the great times we spent hunting with Old Blue, the finest dog we never had? Why, I'll never forget those crisp autumn mornings when the boy and I made our way through the tall grass, watching Blue sniff the air to track down the birds that weren't there after we had downed them with the classic old shotgun my grandpa never had and didn't pass down to me?

Last edited by arjay57; 07-28-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Great, another 20 page thread about the Braves...

Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
I'd say, kid...it's not like the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn for LA. So stop yer cryin' and buy your CCT ticket.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'd say, kid...it's not like the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn for LA. So stop yer cryin' and buy your CCT ticket.
Just not on Sundays.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 PM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Great, another 20 page thread about the Braves...

Exactly. Maybe this time we can get an ITP/OTP debate going.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:17 PM

559 posts, read 832,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

Or the Braves leaving Milwaukee for Atlanta.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM

219 posts, read 270,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds kindly bogus to me.
Of course you would think this way. You are telling me a father does not have aspirations to share his passions with his young son as the son grows up? You think it is bogus that he believes it will be more difficult to attend the games with a young child based on the travel time in a car? Just because he has not been able to share that time with his child, does not mean he's not disappointed in the notion that now it will be more difficult for him to do so.

Your 'analogy' (if you can even call it that) is ridiculous hyperbole. But you know that, I think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta