Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 01:56 PM

16 posts, read 36,904 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I grew up all over South Florida, from Hollywood beach, to South Beach and now Boca Raton. I have 2 small girls (5yrs old) and I am married. I always considered moving to an area that has season change and just different scenery; plus nicer people (not everyone is rude but it's got some tough people here). I do enjoy good nightlife and action. I go out on occasion to dance etc.. I also enjoy that my girls have lots to do here. So my question is, will my move to Marietta be a bad choice given the things I enjoy? Is it a fun town, for adults and kids? How is the city of Atlanta for fun for both? I just took a drive to Marietta and thought it looked amazing but didn't really do much exploring. My sister-in-law just moved there so we helped her out and I love the look of the communities. I need help deciding!! ugghhh....I love my home and love the fast-paced environment here in So.FLA, but I want a change of scenery and seasons so I'm so indecisive as to what to do. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Regards

Last edited by chaibeans; 07-28-2014 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 05:46 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,753,694 times
Why did you choose Marietta to ask about - what's your criteria (see my next response for common questions)? Are you talking about East Cobb or incorporated Marietta like Marietta Square?

If you're looking for a place that's more fun for both adults and kids, I think Vinings or Smyrna is probably more of what you're looking for. They are closer to midtown and Buckhead and also closer to Cumberland but still have good Cobb schools. Within striking distance, there's:
* Smyrna Market Village mixed-use
* Vinings Village mixed-use
* West Village mixed-use
* Ivy Walk mixed-use
* Riverview Landing (coming soon)
* Belmont Hills (coming soon)
* Atlanta School of Dance
* Main Event (coming soon)
* AMC Theater (Not your typical AMC - includes bar and good food options)
* Taylor-Brawner Park
* Dave & Buster's (also equidistant from Marietta)
* Chuck E Cheeses
* Cumberland Mall
* Little Gym
* Sparkles
* Silver Comet Trail (and other streetside trails through Smyrna)
* Bob Callan Trail / Chattahoochee River Park
* Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center
* Mable House
* Braves Stadium (coming 2017)
* Lots of restaurants and food options, many of which are not chains in the mixed-use developments or around town
* More jobs, highrise office, etc

It's also close to pretty much everything Marietta is close to, including decently close to Marietta Square, Town Center, still close to Kennessaw Mtn Battlefield Park via Windy Hill Rd, and close enough to Lake Allatoona. Smyrna is pretty much a trade-off of being closer to Atlanta and still being close to things in Cobb.

The schools are about the same as incorporated Marietta and there's also a lot more private school choices in the area of Smyrna/Vinings with a new extension of Buckhead Prep coming to Market Village.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:49 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,753,694 times
Now, all that being said, don't move to metro Atlanta unless you have already secured job or are independently wealthy. Here's some questions for you:

1. Budget (Buy/Rent?)
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Thank you for such a quick response. We are a well off family and my husband can relocate anywhere as long as he is close to a major airport. We will be buying a home in the 500-600k range, public school is fine as long as there are A-1 schools, we would like to be around more of a city vibe and accessible shopping, public transportation is not needed and desired neighborhood is one with young kids and good community. The other things is we a Vegetarian and shop cruelty free so restaurants with options would be nice. Shopping like Wholefoods and fresh markets are a must. I do not want to live in the rural areas or even too suburban that there's not much to do. I want to be around things to do and nightlife. The reason we chose Marietta is because of the recent move my sister in law just made from Miami to Marietta. We helped her move and her neighborhood is amazing looking; winding roads and gorgeous foliage. I also liked that it was a city with more options and not in the middle of no where. Also, I do not want to be around any areas where people hunt. Marietta just seemed a bit more up and coming in a sense. I do not know anything about Georgia other then driving through many times near the mountains. Thank you for answering my questions, I'll start looking up Vining and Smyrna

Old 07-28-2014, 07:55 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,820,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaibeans View Post
Thank you for such a quick response. We are a well off family and my husband can relocate anywhere as long as he is close to a major airport. We will be buying a home in the 500-600k range, public school is fine as long as there are A-1 schools, we would like to be around more of a city vibe and accessible shopping, public transportation is not needed and desired neighborhood is one with young kids and good community. The other things is we a Vegetarian and shop cruelty free so restaurants with options would be nice. Shopping like Wholefoods and fresh markets are a must. I do not want to live in the rural areas or even too suburban that there's not much to do. I want to be around things to do and nightlife. The reason we chose Marietta is because of the recent move my sister in law just made from Miami to Marietta. We helped her move and her neighborhood is amazing looking; winding roads and gorgeous foliage. I also liked that it was a city with more options and not in the middle of no where. Also, I do not want to be around any areas where people hunt. Marietta just seemed a bit more up and coming in a sense. I do not know anything about Georgia other then driving through many times near the mountains. Thank you for answering my questions, I'll start looking up Vining and Smyrna
Sounds like East Cobb or even North Fulton would be ideal for you. Excellent public schools, tons of things to do ... and $500,000 will buy you a VERY nice house!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:08 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,895,592 times
Check out Roswell, you would be only roughly 30 minutes from the sis-in-law. Your husband could take MARTA to the airport

Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM

Thank you, Newsboy and DaBurgh. I will research all of those areas you mentioned.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:07 PM

924 posts, read 1,450,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaibeans View Post
You basically just described East Cobb with Whole Foods and some of the best schools in the metro region. It is also close to Perimeter, Marietta, Cumberland, and downtown Roswell with plenty to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sounds like East Cobb or even North Fulton would be ideal for you. Excellent public schools, tons of things to do ... and $500,000 will buy you a VERY nice house!

Yep.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 PM

Is East Cobb the name of the city?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,896,967 times
East Cobb isn't a city, it's just the part of Cobb County known for their great schools and quality of life. I'm not from that part so I can't describe what counts as East Cobb but it covers a lot of high school districts and zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta