Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times

Advertisements

Yes, Chuck.. You are right on the money here.
And count me in as one who was charmed by the topographical features & variety of metro Atlanta among other attributes when I first visited the city.
As for there being "many cities" whose topography beat that found in metro Atlanta, for example please name one MAJOR city in the southeast w/ terrain that varies in elevation as much as it does within the COA city proper or one whose northern metro fringes are in actual mountain foothills.
In the southeast, only Birmingham comes anywhere close in the topography range & it's not "major".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
There are many hilly, tree filled Atlanta neighborhoods all over the city. It's a feature that's available to people all over the city. It's not some landmark that people have to go and visit or see from a distance. It's their own neighborhoods. This is a feature that's attracted many to Atlanta.
Without the roads, you can't see any of those hills like you can in Seattle, Salt Lake, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, and Las Vegas. Besides, there are plenty of places with trees. There are a lot of trees in Houston and a great variety, not all pine.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, Chuck.. You are right on the money here.
And count me in as one who was charmed by the topographical features & variety of metro Atlanta among other attributes when I first visited the city.
As for there being "many cities" whose topography beat that found in metro Atlanta, for example please name one MAJOR city in the southeast w/ terrain that varies in elevation as much as it does within the COA city proper or one whose northern metro fringes are in actual mountain foothills.
In the southeast, only Birmingham comes anywhere close in the topography range & it's not "major".
So what if it does? You can't take it in unless you drive or walk it.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 AM

346 posts, read 388,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
So what if it does? You can't take it in unless you drive or walk it.
I've described some features that many people like about Atlanta. It's been the top moving destination for the last four years, according to Penske. It's not to your taste, apparently, and that's fine. But, why is it a big issue for you? No one HAS to live in Atlanta, if they like some place else. And Atlanta is ranked an Alpha Minus world city by the Globalization and World Rankings Institute, who have made these rankings for many years. It's in the same category as Miami, Dublin, Barcelona, Boston, Vienna, and Zurich, among others. It's not in the same ranking as New York, London and Tokyo, but that doesn't mean it's not a world city.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I've described some features that many people like about Atlanta. It's been the top moving destination for the last four years, according to Penske. It's not to your taste, apparently, and that's fine. But, why is it a big issue for you? No one HAS to live in Atlanta, if they like some place else. And Atlanta is ranked an Alpha Minus world city by the Globalization and World Rankings Institute, who have made these rankings for many years. It's in the same category as Miami, Dublin, Barcelona, Boston, Vienna, and Zurich, among others. It's not in the same ranking as New York, London and Tokyo, but that doesn't mean it's not a world city.
We've talked about that ranking system before. I think it's a bit suspect as I've seen wild swings in rankings of places over the years. London and New York are the top cities and are the standard by which all other places are measured.

Houston is also a top moving destination, and it's probably due to jobs more than anything else.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:08 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There are a lot of trees in Houston and a great variety, not all pine.
That is literally the last phrase I would use to describe Houston.

Biodiversity of the metro as a whole is about as interesting as a desert.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:08 AM

That ranking system has Dallas and Atlanta as alpha minus and Houston as Beta plus. Is that what has you on Atlanta's case?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:24 PM

134 posts, read 185,837 times
Quote:
I don't know if this link has been posted here, but this is interesting. It's the alpha+, alpha, alpha- rankings that are done every few years by the Globalization and World Rankings Institute.
http://www.spottedbylocals.com/blog/...-gamma-cities/
This is a good list...agree with the ranking...

Many Atlanta naysayers on here (we know who they are) will argue that Atlanta doesn't come close to other American cities like Boston and Philadelphia in the Alpha- class that Atlanta appropriately belongs to because Atlanta's public transit and art museum isn't as good as Boston and Philadelphia's.

Of course, the compilers of this list realize that other aspects of a city contribute to its global ranking besides the two factors I mention above. These include:

Global connectivity through a world class airport
Number of fortune 1000 company headquarters (3rd in the country after NY and Chicago)
Medical research facilities
Hosting an Olympics
World class aquarium, botanical gardens, civil rights museums, history museum
Headquarters of major media company (Turner)
World class restaurants

Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM

I'm posting some street view images of some intown Atlanta neighborhoods. These aren't tourist postcard type pics, but these are regular streets. All of these are within 10 to 15 minutes of Downtown or Midtown. I'm addressing the discussion about topographical features and the statement someone made that all of the trees in Atlanta are pine trees. My view is that the quality of life and beauty in regular neighborhoods is a big plus. Actually, living in beautiful areas and not having to go to a tourist area to see the scenery is a feature of Atlanta.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
This is a good list...agree with the ranking...

Many Atlanta naysayers on here (we know who they are) will argue that Atlanta doesn't come close to other American cities like Boston and Philadelphia in the Alpha- class that Atlanta appropriately belongs to because Atlanta's public transit and art museum isn't as good as Boston and Philadelphia's.

Of course, the compilers of this list realize that other aspects of a city contribute to its global ranking besides the two factors I mention above. These include:

Global connectivity through a world class airport
Number of fortune 1000 company headquarters (3rd in the country after NY and Chicago)
Medical research facilities
Hosting an Olympics
World class aquarium, botanical gardens, civil rights museums, history museum
Headquarters of major media company (Turner)
World class restaurants
You forgot one: only 75 miles to Sanford stadium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta