U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:14 AM

8,343 posts, read 10,299,502 times

Advertisements

Is that because nobody is funding a fix, or because it doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, grass just takes time to grow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:45 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,664,511 times
"Neighborhood Planning Unit-E says it will not make a decision on the 2014 Music Midtown special events application until Sept. 2 – just 17 days before the two-day concert will take place at Piedmont Park, reports SaportaReport.com..."

Decision delayed on Music Midtown special events application - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Is that because nobody is funding a fix, or because it doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, grass just takes time to grow?
It's that the park can't handle the event. Forget opinion, the environment can barely recover in time for the next years trampling.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,090,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
It's that the park can't handle the event. Forget opinion, the environment can barely recover in time for the next years trampling.
No grassy area can handle thousands of people walking around when it rains heavily for hours on end. That kind of rain is pretty unusual.

The park was not damaged by the crowds on days when it didn't rain. Grass can handle the crowds. Look at Lakewood Amphitheater. They host thousands of people on their lawn many times each year, and somehow the lawn stays in good shape.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,790,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post

I don't care how much of a destination Piedmont Park is, or how many high-rises are nearby... it's still someone's home.
The Park is not someone's home. Well maybe a few homeless people ...

Quote:

If someone stayed in your house for the weekend and totally trashed it, I'm guessing you wouldn't be inviting them back either, even if they said "Hey, you chose to have me as a friend. You knew what you were getting yourself into."
Again, the park is not your house. It is not your property.

Quote:
That's because when you live in a city, a lot of outsiders pass through your neighborhood
Exclusionary much?

Quote:
And, hey, I'm going to have a music festival in your front yard. I'm entitled to it. After all, it's the city."

No.
Yes actually it is.

As for being disrespectful in the neighborhoods. I don't think there is anyway to control that. Maybe they will have a better police presence to control some of the post-concert chaos. Maybe instead of downing MM why not buy a ticket and enjoy the fact that you practically have a front row seat?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:27 AM

1,603 posts, read 2,790,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Your fight is with the city of Atlanta for not stepping up to the plate and taking care of its responsibilities, not people who attend this event. Go fight the right enemy.
This^^

I don't live in Atlanta. I regularly attend this event. Still waffling about this year though. Once I buy my ticket I have as much right to be there as anyone else. These people who are lambasting MM and the people who attend are painting the concert goers with a pretty wide brush - not all of us are drunken hooligans. Some of us just really, really love music. The fight is not with me or my friends, their fight is with the City of Atlanta.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:32 AM

29,438 posts, read 26,397,453 times
If concert goers and park visitors simply behaved in a respectful manner you wouldn't have these issues.

The problems arise when people start tearing things up. That is juvenile, irresponsible and completely incompatible with urban life.

In a city people must learn to behave with mutual respect. If you want to run wild, pee on the bushes and act like a human mud-torpedo, go out in the woods and do so on your own land.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:37 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post

I don't live in Atlanta.
I do.

As a resident, I welcome everyone into the city for our events. Come one, come all. While I would prefer everyone to act respectfully to one another and to their surroundings, I understand that human nature dictates that some folks (a small minority) will always behave badly no matter what. In my opinion, that is a small price to pay considering the vast majority of people coming to the events hosted in the city have a good time, spend their money, and leave with happy memories.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If concert goers and park visitors simply behaved in a respectful manner you wouldn't have these issues.

The problems arise when people start tearing things up. That is juvenile, irresponsible and completely incompatible with urban life.

In a city people must learn to behave with mutual respect. If you want to run wild, pee on the bushes and act like a human mud-torpedo, go out in the woods and do so on your own land.
I don't disagree, but you're fighting a losing battle against human nature.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 AM

8,343 posts, read 10,299,502 times
Quote:
Arjay, I think you're right.

The question is, what's the best way to curb such behavior? Do you have to throw out the baby with the bathwater and stop an overall positive event just because a few people act like fools?

Maybe it's time to take a pragmatic view of things. Why are people peeing on bushes? Is it because they are jerks, or because there aren't enough port-a-potties at the event? What can be done to try to stop this? And taking it a bit of a step further, at the end of the day, how much damage does it really cause if a bush gets peed on? Probably not much since the deer, racoons, and opossums do it every day. Is the issue that you had to see someone's penis?

Perhaps that's irrelevant, because I'm sure public urination is probably illegal. So maybe a good answer would be to bolster APD foot patrols during an event like this. Normally I'd be against using publicly funded police to patrol a for-profit private event, but that precedent has already been established by supplying police to direct traffic and close streets for film productions, so I guess we're ok there. I'm sure MM brings way more money to the city than a day of shooting the Fast and the Furious 19.

As for acting like human mud-torpedoes, yeah, that's juvenile and silly. But it's not illegal. And who among us can say that when we were a certain age, we wouldn't have done the same exact thing? It doesn't makes us bad people, it just means we were young once, and that's what these kids are. They're not going out there saying, "Hey, let's see how back we can f-up this beautiful park that people like Arjay and AnsleyPark work so hard on!" They're just young, carefree, and see a mud pit. That's it. Stop taking it so personally.

Having said that, I do think the Conservancy has every right to hold organizers' feet to the fire and say look, the park got really damaged last year, what are you going to do to make sure that doesn't happen again? What does Lakewood do? What are our options? Simply hoping it doesn't rain is not an acceptable answer.

There's a way to make this an event everybody can enjoy while keeping the park in good repair. I actually think that a reasonable place to start might be restricting MM to a single day event instead of a 2-day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or