U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,149,226 times

Advertisements

I don't know... it seems pretty cut and dry to me. I've been hitting up concerts in the midtown/downtown area (remember On the Bricks?, free concerts at GaTech's burger bowl, music midtown) enough to have a well formed opinion on the matter.

As I have already said, Piedmont park is a bad venue for this series. This isn't one stage with 2 or 3 bands.... this is multiple stages with crowds and performers going in and out for 3 days.

1. It doesn't have the infrastructure (which is why they drag in hundreds of fences, dozens of porta-pottys, hundres of lights, generators, speakers, entire stages, etc)

2. It doesn't have the parking. Even with the parking deck, it doesn't even have easy access to mass parking

3. It doesn't have easy access. If you are taking MARTA trains, then I hope you like walking :-)

Its a bad fit, which is the entire reason that music midtown has known at least 3 different locations around the city. The only people I know who are super enthusiastic about the current location are close enough to walk to the park(2-3 miles), but far enough away that they don't get any of the noise, traffic, or other problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM

29,414 posts, read 26,378,257 times
Looks like the NPU also unanimously voted it down.

Quote:
When Music Midtown 2014 takes over Piedmont Park Sept. 19 and 20, it will do so without the support of the Midtown Neighbors’ Association and Neighborhood Planning Unit-E, which surrounds the southern and western boundaries of the park.

NPU-E voted unanimously to “not support” the Music Midtown 2014 festival appiication at its meeting on Sept. 2 – validating the position of one of its constituent communities – the Midtown Neighbors’ Association.

More....Midtown Neighbors and NPU-E vote against 2014 Music Midtown festival application, but show will go on | SaportaReport

Old 09-04-2014, 04:48 PM

10,607 posts, read 7,535,721 times
I agree with their vote. They are not nessarily against the event, but that there is not being done to tow illegal parkers around the park.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 PM

I know some folks who live in the area who just leave town when this event takes place. Their quality of life is severely impacted and they are progressive, urban-minded folks who are just trying to make their lives in the city. This sort of thing doesn't help.

It's no fun to have an extra 60-70,000 people drive in to your neighborhood, park anywhere they please day or night and basically run wild and then drive back home. There's nothing urban or sophisticated about that at all.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 7,535,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know some folks who live in the area who just leave town when this event takes place. Their quality of life is severely impacted and they are progressive, urban-minded folks who are just trying to make their lives in the city. This sort of thing doesn't help.

It's no fun to have an extra 60-70,000 people drive in to your neighborhood, park anywhere they please day or night and basically run wild and then drive back home. There's nothing urban or sophisticated about that at all.
Yep. I lived a few blocks away from the park and parked on the street. Luckily i just didn't move my car much or at all during these events.

They should just close midtown streets down for residents only during major events. If you want to come you should be walking, biking, or taking transit.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
They should just close midtown streets down for residents only during major events. If you want to come you should be walking, biking, or taking transit.
Totally agree, jsvh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or