U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM

10,026 posts, read 9,358,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
They have to pay the park to use their space and they have to pay them for any clean up afterwards
No they do not have to pay the park to use the space. That money goes to the City of Atlanta, but not to the Park. Yes, they have to pay them for clean up, but that is a pathetic "benefit." It costs the Park more in repairs than what they get paid. Having served on the Conservancy board for 10 years, I can assure you I know what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I can understand her concern, but the way she expresses it reeks of nimbyism..... I'm not sure why this festival has not moved back to the original location. Renaissance park is walking distance from two stations and has better traffic control options.
Sometimes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with nimbyism. You make it sound derogatory. There is nothing negative about concerned citizens trying to protect their neighborhood in which they have invested time, energy, emotion and money.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
How long ago was that? Taking MARTA to Lakewood used to be a good option back when they had dedicated shuttle busses. Now you have to take the train and wait for the regular bus. Also, note that I said "no rail access" not "no MARTA access." It is possible to get there on MARTA, but now that the shuttle busses have been eliminated it's enough of a hassle that driving is by far the preferred option for the vast majority of concertgoers.
Oh, so its okay to hassle the local residents, but the concert goers should not be hassled?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I live intown and I'm with the person that says the folk that live at Piedmont Park need to suck it up. They moved there and knew full well that it hosted tons of festivals and other venues each year. In fact, that is one reason that people love living there and part of the reason the real estate is so high for the homes right at Piedmont Park. You cannot have it both ways. This is like when I lived at the lake in Chicago. If you are going to live at the lake, don't get mad when everyone comes from the suburbs and parks on your streets during the summer. It goes with the territory.
LovelySummer - I agree with you in general. It is just the nature of this concert - the folks get way out of hand. Sure, happy to put up with hordes that go to the Dogwood Festival, the end of the Peachtree Road Race, and other events. It is simply that many in the crowd that attend MM are a bunch of hooligans who care nothing about the health of the park, neighboring streets, yards and homes or anyone else or anything else. Not everyone, but certainly enough to make this event unfit for the Park and neighborhoods surrounding it.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:56 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,084,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Oh, so its okay to hassle the local residents, but the concert goers should not be hassled?
I have no idea what you're talking about and by the looks of it neither do you.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about and by the looks of it neither do you.
Sorry if I read something into your post you didn't mean, but you did mention getting to Lakewood was a hassle and I took that to mean that the hassle was a reason MM should remain in Piedmont Park. I just get very passionate about this particular issue!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 AM

8,337 posts, read 10,291,525 times
Sorry, Piedmont Park Conservancy, your beef is with the city of Atlanta, not the promoters of the event. They are paying money to the city to use the park. If the city doesn't put that money into the park, then you need to take it up with them. The event organizers are going through all the proper channels and are perfectly legal. So keep the argument where it belongs, with the city.

Why not talk to people who live near Chastain Park? How are they able to host an entire summer concert series, yet not get their panties in a wad every time there is a show?

It's like people who move to Lake Buena Vista and then complain about Disney traffic.

But back to the topic at hand...who cares what the Midtown Neighbors Association thinks? It doesn't look like they have any teeth to stand in the way of the event, so as far as I can tell, it's a non-issue.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Sorry, Piedmont Park Conservancy, your beef is with the city of Atlanta, not the promoters of the event. They are paying money to the city to use the park. If the city doesn't put that money into the park, then you need to take it up with them. The event organizers are going through all the proper channels and are perfectly legal. So keep the argument where it belongs, with the city.

Why not talk to people who live near Chastain Park? How are they able to host an entire summer concert series, yet not get their panties in a wad every time there is a show?

It's like people who move to Lake Buena Vista and then complain about Disney traffic.

But back to the topic at hand...who cares what the Midtown Neighbors Association thinks? It doesn't look like they have any teeth to stand in the way of the event, so as far as I can tell, it's a non-issue.
Trust me: the Conservancy fights this seemingly unwinnable battle with the city every year. And, we should all care what the Midtown Neighbors Association thinks, as well as the Ansley Park, Morningside and VaHi neighbors. Most of the money raised from neighborhoods to maintain and expand the park comes from those people and the corporate sponsors that those people and the Conservancy convince to donate.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 AM

5,445 posts, read 3,845,492 times
AP's got a point. The only reason Piedmont Park is a jewel is due to the Conservancy's efforts in maintaining the park, and if Music Midtown/CoA isn't properly reimbursing them in cleanup/repairs, then they shouldn't have it there anymore.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
ATLTJL - Chastain's amphitheater holds about 7,000 folks. And, importantly, it is an amphitheater. About 100,000 folks overran Piedmont Park for a 2 day event. And, importantly, there is no amphitheater. There is no honest comparrison.

Last edited by AnsleyPark; 08-04-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or