U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,075,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Which major metropolitan are did Woodstock take place in the middle of again? I always seem to forget.
What difference does it make that it was in a rural area? It was still damaging to property, both public and private, and someone had to deal with it. Population denisty is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm not asserting that. What I am asserting is that Piedmont Park is an inappropriate venue for it. It ain't no Yasgur's Farm, after all.
What is a more appropriate venue in your opinion? I've offered at least two alternative locations, but I haven't seen you make any suggestions. I'm just hearing "no" from you.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,146,880 times
Wow, there are a lot of people with very little knowledge chiming in. The only 'amenity' that Piedmont Park offers that a Chastain/Lakewood/Verizon offers is green space for people to stand in.

Piedmont Park as a concert venue is inferior in just about every other way. To other venues that they have occupied.

• There is (way) less parking - Try visiting Piedmont park on a normal weekend in the spring when no events are going on and you should see what I mean.
• There is less access via automobile to the park - The options from the highway are Piedmont Rd, 10th street, or Monroe. All of these are 2 lane roads that wind through heavily trafficked areas of Midtown/downtown where every intersection serves as a bottleneck. The only MARTA station that offers access in a walkable distance is Midtown station... which means that you will have hordes of concert goers regularly crossing Peachtree St and 10th st.
• There is almost zero infrastructure on the ground - Meaning little or no power for lights, no permanent plumbing fixtures for water fountains or bathrooms, no barriers to seperate ingress/egress avenues from viewing areas and no fixtures for vendors.
• The foot traffic from the 3-day concert festival is destructive to the park - grass, trees and other foliage take time to grow back. I remember when oak hill was closed for almost a year (which sucked). There is a reason why sports arenas and outdoor stages contain a large amount of areas that are paved.
• There is no buffer zone between Piedmont park and the residential/municipal areas that surround it. - This means that the people who live by the park get the full on brunt of the noise, disturbances and property damage from the festival. These are your fellow citizens. There is a big difference between the crowd for a Jazz festival, farmers market, or arts festival and the type of crowd that visits music midtown. Buying a house across the street from the park shouldn't require you have to deal with property damage half a dozen times a year. Have any of you noticed the massive gate that Grady high school has for their track & tennis parking lot? ....and that is just to keep out regular park traffic. I bet that the folks who live near Piedmont would love to have something like that to keep drunk folks away from their homes & families

Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,146,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What is a more appropriate venue in your opinion? I've offered at least two alternative locations, but I haven't seen you make any suggestions. I'm just hearing "no" from you.
I hear that the Braves' stadium should soon be available. Plenty of space down there with plenty of parking, and they are well used to massive crowds being in and out of the area regularly.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,131,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I hear that the Braves' stadium should soon be available. Plenty of space down there with plenty of parking, and they are well used to massive crowds being in and out of the area regularly.
Too far from the core demographic

Old 08-04-2014, 12:02 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,661,591 times
Quote:
It doesn't help until 2017 but I actually think that's a great idea. Maybe the Beltline could carve out a space somewhere on the Westside and make some money off of this event. I completely agree with those that say a 3-day Music Festival is not right for Piedmont Park

Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 PM

10,026 posts, read 9,346,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Too far from the core demographic
They can take the train and walk. Not appreciable different in distance as PP is from Midtown Sta.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,712,653 times
Quote:
Wow, there are a lot of people with very little knowledge chiming in. The only 'amenity' that Piedmont Park offers that a Chastain/Lakewood/Verizon offers is green space for people to stand in.

Piedmont Park as a concert venue is inferior in just about every other way. To other venues that they have occupied.

There is (way) less parking - Try visiting Piedmont park on a normal weekend in the spring when no events are going on and you should see what I mean.
There is less access via automobile to the park - The options from the highway are Piedmont Rd, 10th street, or Monroe. All of these are 2 lane roads that wind through heavily trafficked areas of Midtown/downtown where every intersection serves as a bottleneck. The only MARTA station that offers access in a walkable distance is Midtown station... which means that you will have hordes of concert goers regularly crossing Peachtree St and 10th st.
There is almost zero infrastructure on the ground - Meaning little or no power for lights, no permanent plumbing fixtures for water fountains or bathrooms, no barriers to seperate ingress/egress avenues from viewing areas and no fixtures for vendors.
The foot traffic from the 3-day concert festival is destructive to the park - grass, trees and other foliage take time to grow back. I remember when oak hill was closed for almost a year (which sucked). There is a reason why sports arenas and outdoor stages contain a large amount of areas that are paved.
There is no buffer zone between Piedmont park and the residential/municipal areas that surround it. - This means that the people who live by the park get the full on brunt of the noise, disturbances and property damage from the festival. These are your fellow citizens. There is a big difference between the crowd for a Jazz festival, farmers market, or arts festival and the type of crowd that visits music midtown. Buying a house across the street from the park shouldn't require you have to deal with property damage half a dozen times a year. Have any of you noticed the massive gate that Grady high school has for their track & tennis parking lot? ....and that is just to keep out regular park traffic. I bet that the folks who live near Piedmont would love to have something like that to keep drunk folks away from their homes & families
PP is the most the best venue in Ga for a concert. It's near 2 Marta stations and near the Beltline

Old 08-04-2014, 12:10 PM
JPD

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Drive-Invasion is there this year (in the parking lot, not inside the stadium). It's a much smaller event than MM, but they'll have 12 bands, 3 movies, and a full day (plus overnight camping) of grilling out, partying, etc.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,712,653 times
And people are complaining about an event for one weekend out the year smh. They are acting like it's every weekend. What a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or