Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,765,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Again with the hyperbole? "Ruin the park"? You are so freaking sanctimonious.

I use the park almost every day; we are members at the pool, and we donate to the conservancy.

MM gives our city some credibility from a culture/arts perspective that is severely lacking. It brings in untold economic drivers. Last year, from a sod rehabilitation standpoint, I accept as an outlier. The small areas that needed to be re-sodded were done within a few weeks and were back opened to the public within a month. I bike through the park everyday. The areas around the park will always be congested during large events and we have learned to work around them as a family. It's not worth shutting down an event like this because of one less-than-stellar year.

I think it's an arrogant assumption you make that the people who support MM are not generous contributors to the park. Enjoy the view from John's Creek on that high horse of yours.

You are preaching today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,237,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's very little that's "urban" about a bunch of drunk jackasses playing the fool in one our city's fragile treasures.

That's 100% true. You and your boomer peers were acting the same way at all those '60s and '70s festivals, and those were mostly held outside of urban areas. The only difference is that instead of being drunk you were higher than Cheech and Chong and fried on acid.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:02 PM

23,374 posts, read 43,853,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Surely you've seen the photos of cars parked for miles along the highway. That's public property, and it was damaged by the rain and cars. This is the second time today that you've misrepresented what I've said.
I've done no such thing; what have I said that wasn't true? As far Woodstock goes, the Bethel city supervisor that OK'd the event was fired and the producers paid out 1.2 million in settlements. I saw no such repercussions arise from MM.
This thread is giving me an increasingly heightened sense of satisfaction that MM will not be returning to Piedmont Park.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:13 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I've done no such thing; what have I said that wasn't true? As far Woodstock goes, the Bethel city supervisor that OK'd the event was fired and the producers paid out 1.2 million in settlements. I saw no such repercussions arise from MM.
This thread is giving me an increasingly heightened sense of satisfaction that MM will not be returning to Piedmont Park.
Maybe Midtown ought to look into firing Kwanzaa Hall. Or maybe the Conservancy should quit being so flaccid and play a bit of hardball. Get them toegther with the NPU, Kwanzaa Hall, MNU and the residents, and local business owners and start making some demands so the festival will be better and do less damage to the park.

The Conservancy could take its ball and go home, turning the park into a unkempt dump, which would reduce the desirability and value of (and tax revenues generated by) the surrounding areas. The City can't afford to let that happen. Therefore, the Conservancy has some serious clout. The thing about clout is, sometimes you have to use it, so what is the Conservancy waiting for?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM
JPD

Quote:
I've done no such thing; what have I said that wasn't true?
As for this:

I said "public property" and you tried to refute by talkig about parks. Not all public property is parkland.

This morning I said "no rail access" and you thought I meant no MARTA access at all.

And now, you're asking me to tell you what you said that wasn't true, when I never accused you of making untrue statements. What you've said is neither true nor untrue. You're making claims to refute what I say by putting words in my mouth.

If you going to reply to my posts, please make sure you understand them first.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Maybe Midtown ought to look into firing Kwanzaa Hall. Or maybe the Conservancy should quit being so flaccid and play a bit of hardball. Get them toegther with the NPU, Kwanzaa Hall, MNU and the residents, and local business owners and start making some demands so the festival will be better and do less damage to the park.
Event permitting is through the mayor's office as I recall. I'm not sure the council has anything to do with it.

The folks in the Conservancy are not going to "play hardball" if that means abandoning the park. It's incredibly meaningful to them and the time and money they've spent to bring the park back from its dark days has been a labor of love.

Why should they get a poke in the eye for making an extremely kind and generous gift to the city?

Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,818,817 times
Quote:
There is nothing stopping them from returning. They don't need the buy-on of the neighborhood association to have the festival.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,994,443 times
Quote:
The Conservancy controls the Green Concerts. They carpet the lawns. They confine the crowds. The even lasts one evening. The Park makes tens of thousands of dollars. Different story.
Then why doesn't the Conservancy control Music Midtown and make tens of thousands of dollars off of it?

I understand why the Conservancy doesn't like having to spend its own money to fix the park up, but why not exert more control over what happens to it? I mean, I really don't get why a private non-profit would sit there and raise money to fix a park from an event that the city makes thousands of dollars off of?

Here's an idea: stop doing it. If people trash the park, let it stay trashed. I bet that in short order people would start demanding the park get cleaned up and the city would have to step up.

And if people are getting drunk and causing problems, make a stink. Put pressure on local police. You are taxpayers in the area, demand that police crack down on public drunkenness, nudity, whatever happens to be bothering you about the event.

But you can't just appeal to people's sense of responsibility, because I think that's a pretty quick dead-end to nowhere.

Your fight is with the city of Atlanta for not stepping up to the plate and taking care of its responsibilities, not people who attend this event. Go fight the right enemy.

And if you don't want the event, go tell the city of Atlanta to stop authorizing it. Or refuse to clean up after it. Otherwise, you're just enabling the same behavior.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:31 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Event permitting is through the mayor's office as I recall. I'm not sure the council has anything to do with it.

The folks in the Conservancy are not going to "play hardball" if that means abandoning the park. It's incredibly meaningful to them and the time and money they've spent to bring the park back from its dark days has been a labor of love.

Why should they get a poke in the eye for making an extremely kind and generous gift to the city?
Are you saying the mayor would refuse to listen to an alliance made up of Hall, the NPU, MNU, business owners, and others with a vested interest in one of Atlanta's best assets?

Money talks and the city knows it needs the revenue generated from the high property values in Midtown more than it needs MM. The Conservancy wouldn't have to abandon the park because the city would make Conlon agree to some things before granting him the permit.

Y'all seem unfamiliar with the concept of negotiation. No wonder you always end up unhappy.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Your fight is with the city of Atlanta for not stepping up to the plate and taking care of its responsibilities, not people who attend this event. Go fight the right enemy.

And if you don't want the event, go tell the city of Atlanta to stop authorizing it. Or refuse to clean up after it. Otherwise, you're just enabling the same behavior.
The funny thing is, we all know there are some high-rollers associated with the Conservancy who could eat Peter Conlons lunch every day. The Mayor's, too, for that matter. The types of people who the mayor listens to, and who have raised money for his campaigns. They have clout, but for some reason they think they're being bullied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta