U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:53 PM

3,615 posts, read 6,503,056 times

Advertisements

Alright, before anyone goes off on a tirade, I'm not racist. I have more non-white neighbors (black and asian) than white and I'm fine with it. I generally think that racially integrated communities are more healthy. I own a rental property and go there quite often, driving through Pittsburgh, Mechanicsville, etc depending which way I'm going. I have noticed an increased number of white people living in both neighborhoods, so much so that you can see white people walking around pretty much every time you go there. I can tell they aren't investors because I see them hanging out sometimes on the porches, etc. I'd be less surprised in Adair Park or Capitol View Manor.

Pittsburgh, especially, is a historically black neighborhood all the way back to 1800s. Mechanicsville is historically white but has been predominantly black since the 60s. In both communities, I could count on one hand the number of white people I saw living in Pittsburgh in an entire year. If they are headed towards being more racially-integrated, I think that's healthy.

Do you think this is a trend, or just a blip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM

29,399 posts, read 26,351,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Alright, before anyone goes off on a tirade, I'm not racist. I have more non-white neighbors (black and asian) than white and I'm fine with it. I generally think that racially integrated communities are more healthy. I own a rental property and go there quite often, driving through Pittsburgh, Mechanicsville, etc depending which way I'm going. I have noticed an increased number of white people living in both neighborhoods, so much so that you can see white people walking around pretty much every time you go there. I can tell they aren't investors because I see them hanging out sometimes on the porches, etc. I'd be less surprised in Adair Park or Capitol View Manor.

Pittsburgh, especially, is a historically black neighborhood all the way back to 1800s. Mechanicsville is historically white but has been predominantly black since the 60s. In both communities, I could count on one hand the number of white people I saw living in Pittsburgh in an entire year. If they are headed towards being more racially-integrated, I think that's healthy.

Do you think this is a trend, or just a blip?
A white person is a hard dog to keep under the porch.

Are there any new latte shops or farm-to-table restaurants around there? If so, that might explain it.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Are there any new latte shops or farm-to-table restaurants around there? If so, that might explain it.
No. I was wondering if they may be Ukranian or what-not, but they look very southern to me, not Ukranian (you really can tell). In Hartford, there were significant numbers of Ukranians and other people from struggling post-Russian bloc countries moving into black communities.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:20 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,713,224 times
I'm not racist. I have fornicated with several white women.

Were the white people that you saw hippies, professional whites or heroin addicts? Hopefully they are professionals because they may be able to turn that area around. Add about 3000 Gays and lesbians to that area and it would change overnight. It is some beautiful homes in those areas

Old 08-04-2014, 05:24 PM

It's hard to tell. A few were older people and maybe they have been there the whole time and came out of hiding lol. The rest looked like working class, not addics, since they were pretty well kept up but had t-shirts and jeans on. No rips, no holes, just t-shirts and jeans and stuff like that. So, who knows. I typically look worse than them when I go there when it isn't a work-day. Pittsburgh also isn't a big-time heroine area. I'd expect if some suburbanites moved intown to get closer to the heroine, they'd move to the bluff. Pittsburgh and Mechanicsville would be like moving to get closer to prostitutes or ticket-scalping action or something (I'm joking).

The biggest gang there was cleared out when they were arrested for beating on the gay kid. There is a little stuff going on at that same corner of McDaniel and Delevan and near the speak-easy, but Pittsburgh and Mechanicsville are probably the last place I'd imagine people go to be close to any drug access, unless they are mafia guys taking over the town, lol, and this isn't a movie. They had hair, so they aren't skin-heads ;-)

Anyway, you really can't tell from looking at them. They could be GA State students. Who knows. I just can tell they aren't heavy duty users since they look like a train wreck. New users, perhaps, though again I wouldn't expect them to go to that area.

Perhaps they are just smart. It is a decent investment, especially if you live there yourself and don't have to worry about it being broken into off your watch.

Last edited by netdragon; 08-04-2014 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,575,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post

Were the white people that you saw hippies, professional whites or heroin addicts? Hopefully they are professionals because they may be able to turn that area around. Add about 3000 Gays and lesbians to that area and it would change overnight. It is some beautiful homes in those areas
Lol. This is one of the funnier posts that I have seen in awhile. :-)

Old 08-04-2014, 05:38 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,713,224 times
Cool. I will check the area out this weekend and see for myself

Old 08-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Cool. I will check the area out this weekend and see for myself
Start on Windsor St, from Unversity Ave, and wind your way through to Mechanicsville and around the Northern part of Mechanicsville.

Obviously, it'll be hit-or-miss.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM

13,423 posts, read 16,981,227 times
Maybe they're zombies. Isn't that where they've been filming the new season of Walking Dead?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM

4,369 posts, read 6,042,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A white person is a hard dog to keep under the porch.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta