Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:22 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post

Again, the Atlanta haters are either old women who can't get a man or men who haven't been laid in years. People who are getting laid do not troll message boards daily and if you base a city off the a C-D forum then you really need to grow up.
Really now?

Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,458 times
Tryska
Glad you had a great experience. Curious about your statement: "my values also see to be different from yours" please elaborate?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,308,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post

The one thing that does annoy be about Atlanta is that it is very "black and white". While it is getting more diverse in certain areas, the Southern Paradigm seems to be "black" or "white" and a little more real diversity would definitely help things.

Atlanta is "black and white" if you never hang around the north side. Even along the north perimeter.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:19 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Atlanta is "black and white" if you never hang around the north side. Even along the north perimeter.
I know. An embarrassingly uninformed statement, likely made by someone who has limited experience with the city.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM

925 posts, read 1,332,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It's discouraging and scary for anyone considering moving there to read this forum since it is laced with nothing but hate for the city and how they can't wait to get out.

Come on this sub-forum and post some enthusiastic things about the city and you'll be immediately shot down by how bad the city is...the weather sucks, the traffic sucks, the job situation/economy sucks, the neighborhoods suck etc. etc.

By contrast, go to the Orange County, California or Los Angeles, California forum and say some negative things about the city and you'll be flamed out of there by all the die hard fans of California despite the state and city have innumerable problems, possibly far worse than Atlanta... the insane cost of living being a starting point.

I constantly hear how horrible ATL is from all the California residents around me, but I assume that is just because Californians tend to think that anything outside their state is crap but when you hear it from the residents themselves one gets a bit worried if the city is infact as bad as it's made out to be.

So, any Atlanta pride here? Nothing?

Are you being sarcastic? I think most people in the LA/OC forum would agree with all the issues that is present there... high unemployment, over price rent/housing, too many illegals, terrible traffic, bankrupt state, etc Most californian i met, gets atlanta and atlantic city confuse or barely have a clue about atlanta.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Are you being sarcastic? I think most people in the LA/OC forum would agree with all the issues that is present there... high unemployment, over price rent/housing, too many illegals, terrible traffic, bankrupt state, etc Most californian i met, gets atlanta and atlantic city confuse or barely have a clue about atlanta.
I don't agree with that...in my experience considering I lived in L.A. and still visit from time to time, people know what Atlanta is. They may not know much, but they know what it is. Come on...stop with the lies. Atlanta has had more than enough media hype these last 20 years that most people know Atlanta is a big city in Georgia and the south. People are not going to get the city that hosted the Olympics, has numerous reality shows and the Walking Dead airing there confused with Atlantic City. Be realistic.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:51 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,740,317 times
Quote:
She's never been to Clayton either.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:05 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Tryska
Glad you had a great experience. Curious about your statement: "my values also see to be different from yours" please elaborate?
You seem more concerned with what other people have or have not, or where they went to school or what they do for a living than I do. I don't concern myself with that stuff. I just do what I need to do.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I know. An embarrassingly uninformed statement, likely made by someone who has limited experience with the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
She's never been to Clayton either.
I'm saying this as an Asian woman who has lived in Atlanta for the last 20 years all over. Are their Asians and Hispanics here? Yes, in pockets. But for the most part it's not diverse in the way NYC or LA or Boston are, where there is a little bit of everybody everywhere. In Atlanta "diverse" tends to mean 70% black as opposed to 70% white. The number of times I have been asked to "pick a team" and resolutely said I am Indian, and had someone's mind blown, or had someone get upset that I wasn't choosing their team, leads me to believe this. Will it get better as time goes on? Sure. But are we there yet? Not so much.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:37 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I didn't say "hating"
I said "hate"

I say "hate" because "hate" is literally the word I've heard PLENTY of times used... I mean, people I've known have literally said "I HATE Atlanta"
I ask why and the reasons vary.......

"I just hate that city, the people suck"
"I HATE having to go through that airport. Made me hate the city"
"I hate those stupid reality shows filmed there. Everybody seems so fake"
"I hate the Falcons"
"I don't know. I just don't like Atlanta"
"I just don't like Atlanta cause they shouldn't have had the Olympics in that city"

These above are all real reasons I've been told by people I've met along the way that have expressed to me their "hate" for Atlanta. Some of them have never even been to Atlanta and are literally convinced they don't want to go. Maybe my perspective is biased being that I'm from Atlanta so that's always the subject, but I hear is SOOOOO often I get sick & tired of it. I leave Atlanta and instantly feel like it's Atlanta vs the world these days... Sometimes, I wonder if this would be my perception from others of my hometown if I were from some other city like Phoenix, DC, Charlotte, Denver, etc...

But we're saying the same things here actually cause before I also said the people I know that have the favorable perceptions of Atlanta are usually people that have family/friends in Atlanta already. And the ones that often don't like Atlanta haven't been to Atlanta.
No need to play semantics. I get what you're saying. I don't hear people saying those same things. Most of the people I know aren't hung up on WHERE they live or details of things they can't control.

I know I personally have some things that I don't like about the area, while there are many that I do like. I chose to come here, but the area isn't perfect. No place is, and some of you need to keep that in mind.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,458 times
To clarify Tryska.

I don't care what other people think, never have and I have accomplished many goals. I have my own accomplishments and my level of interaction with a stranger does not began with me listing my accolades, affiliations, or associates. (Signs of a low class level. Name dropping is socially inappropriate according to etiquette standards.) I'm accomplished and happy with myself and I don't need to share/qualify my accomplishments with anyone.

Wow, I had to re-read my post Tryska after your comment.I didn't pick up where I shared concern about what other people think of me. My concern is with random people/strangers (southern culture) trying to determine who you are by asking inappropriate questions. No where in America do people constantly try to compare themselves to someone else and most of the presentation is a lie. Asking so many questions in fact you think the person will commit identity theft upon first meeting someone. I am a conversationalist at heart and while in Chicago, California, D.C., Las Vegas(NV),etc (airports/restaurants/etc).......random conversations are not intrusive or inappropriate on any level. Large mindsets and major state inhabitants are comfortable being their own person and doing what suits them absent of inferiority complex or constantly measuring oneself against another person.

No where else in America can you mind your own business and people find that to be a problem and began to pose a problem for someone else.

Again, Tryska, thank you for your feedback. I thought I clearly expressed I wasn't concerned with others opinions and am comfortable with who I am. Have a great day and thank you for clarifying your interpretation of my feedback. Interesting. You're experiences might be different because it may be your culture or you're on the winning team. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta