U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:35 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,695,080 times

Advertisements

UPDATED:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 01:17 PM

10,480 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Tyler Perry strikes deal to redevelop Fort Mac - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Makes sense to me. The entire site was never going to be mixed-use dream dream right away. Having the studios plus a track of land the size of Atlantic Station left to redevelop makes a lot of sense.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:59 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,619,291 times
Sounds good. Maybe they can touch up that fence and wall along the MARTA tracks in front of Ft. Mac that looks absolutely terrible in the process.

I wonder how legitimate the objections are to this. It sounds like the alternatives are lofty and unlikely. This has a certain future, which is good. But if the allegations of a favoritism are true, it needs to be looked into.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:08 PM

Agreed tiki.

If there is a better proposal then get it out there. But sounds time has come to for the land to be acquired from the Army and none of the original hoped for partners have panned out.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:09 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,783,119 times
At the same time, I think the guy with 30M cold hard cash will always be the favorite. Was anyone else putting it up, and they were denied in favor of him?

Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
At the same time, I think the guy with 30M cold hard cash will always be the favorite. Was anyone else putting it up, and they were denied in favor of him?
There were some earlier partners that were talking about trying to do a mixed-use Bio-tech facility on the site but they backed out.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:19 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,783,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
There were some earlier partners that were talking about trying to do a mixed-use Bio-tech facility on the site but they backed out.
Yup...because they couldn't get any actual bio-tech type people to ante up 30M. lol That whole idea was vaporware. They never actually had anyone willing to invest. They were just going to shop it as such.

They sure made it sound legit though.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:08 PM

7,899 posts, read 12,131,005 times
At the end of the day, this is an acceptable outcome. While I do not endorse his work, Tyler Perry will end up creating a lot of jobs from this. Something that South Atlanta and East Point need badly. Plus he had the cold hard cash in hand. In our society, that gets you pretty much what you want.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:40 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,695,080 times
UPDATED:

check out this video

Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM

5,243 posts, read 4,619,291 times
So more details out about the folks upset by this deal with Tyler Perry. Apparently the company, UE Studios, suing the McPherson Implementing Local Redevelopment Authority (MILRA) to stop this specific deal with Tyler Perry has been doing some significant work in preparing to bid on this site.

Quote:
In fact, we are so committed to the idea that, from 2011 through 2013, we began discussions with MILRA; invested in a site and vibration studies; developed a business plan, renderings and projections; and initiated and held meetings that included MILRA, Invest Atlanta, the selected master developer for Fort McPherson, and Paramount Pictures.
Paramount Pictures? I would like to see what exactly that means, but that is interesting. Maybe it isn't as lofty as a development as I thought it was. UE Studios approached MILRA in December of 2013 to start negotiations for the site. They did not receive a response until February and it went something like this -

Quote:
In February 2014, MILRA executive Jack Sprott sent UE Studios a letter stating unequivocally that MILRA was prohibited from negotiating with any person or entity until the land had been conveyed to MILRA from the U.S. Army.
That is a quote from the UE Studios response btw, so take that for what it may mean. UE Studios didn't find out about the Tyler Perry deal until it was announced to the public.

In response to this, The Mayor has been very aggressive, according to the Saporta article.
Quote:
"I think the lawsuit is total garbage, and I think the person who filed it is going to lose,” Reed said. “I think it’s outrageous. I think that the person who brought it is going to be embarrassed by it.”

“For this individual to bring this kind of claim, it’s silly, it’s baseless, it’s garbage, and he is going to lose,” Reed said
To me, this does warrant some inquiry at least. Hopefully the courts can sort out any BS quickly, I hope. The Tyler Perry deal sounds great, but I want to make sure any favoritism in city deals and contracts is investigated. This could be interesting.

Check out the article at Tensions mount on both sides of federal lawsuit opposing Tyler Perry’s studio plans at Fort McPherson | SaportaReport

Last edited by tikigod311; 08-14-2014 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or