Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

"Business leaders near Tucker and Northlake Mall in north DeKalb County have expanded their effort to strengthen their historic commercial center and make it more friendly for walking and bicycling.

As of last week, more than 67 commercial properties in the Northlake business district formally joined the existing Tucker Community Improvement District. The goal is to uplift the region in ways that are beyond the scope of local government.

“All you have to do is look at Perimeter and Cumberland to see the success of CIDs,” said Ann Rosenthal, president of the newly minted Tucker-Northlake CID..."

Full Story: Tucker-Northlake business leaders to add walk, bike paths as part of planned renewal of an early suburb | SaportaReport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
This article is horribly written. There is MUCH more to the story of why Perimeter prospered and Northlake didn't. The Sandy Springs MARTA station didn't even open until 2000 and GA 400 didn't go past I-285 until 1993, by which time Perimeter had already long overtaken Northlake, so this writer obviously has no idea what he is talking about and is just spouting off some talking points. And I don't know when the CIDs poppped up around Perimeter, but it was during the 2000s.

But that aside, suburban walking and biking trails are quietly being built and connecting communities. They may not be as sexy as the Beltline, but I can see a day 30 years from now where the entire metro area is connected by a vast network of multi-use trails. Many are being built, it's just a matter of connecting them all.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:53 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This article is horribly written. There is MUCH more to the story of why Perimeter prospered and Northlake didn't. The Sandy Springs MARTA station didn't even open until 2000 and GA 400 didn't go past I-285 until 1993, by which time Perimeter had already long overtaken Northlake, so this writer obviously has no idea what he is talking about and is just spouting off some talking points. And I don't know when the CIDs poppped up around Perimeter, but it was during the 2000s.
Woah there, you really need to check your facts. The initial segment of 400, north of I-285, was opened in 1971, with the segment inside coming later. The Dunwoody MARTA station (closer to the original heart of Perimeter than Sandy Springs) opened in 1996. I can't speak to when Perimeter overtook Northlake, but given that these two most basic facts are wrong, this final assertion is highly suspect. But I do remember the area being far nicer during the mid-late nineties where it subsequently declined while Perimeter took off.
Quote:
But that aside, suburban walking and biking trails are quietly being built and connecting communities. They may not be as sexy as the Beltline, but I can see a day 30 years from now where the entire metro area is connected by a vast network of multi-use trails. Many are being built, it's just a matter of connecting them all.
This part of your post I can agree with however, I'm glad to see this area getting some much-needed attention. I just wish there was a better transit connection than the basic bus service that exists now.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:10 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
The initial segment of 400, north of I-285, was opened in 1971, with the segment inside coming later. The Dunwoody MARTA station (closer to the original heart of Perimeter than Sandy Springs) opened in 1996.
Yup, that's my bad...I was thinking Sandy Springs was the station used for Perimeter Mall access, but it's Dunwoody.

And when I said GA 400 opened past I-285 in 1993, I meant past I-285 to the south. Back in 1971, GA 400 north of Perimeter Mall didn't go to any real population centers, but the mall was definitely handicapped by not having direct access to the city. That was actually an advantage Northlake had, with its proximity to I-85.

So Northlake actually had BETTER connectivity to the city than Perimeter had, but never got as popular.

The reasons are numerous, but I think we can see that Perimeter has grown much smarter than Northlake. After all, Perimeter doesn't seem to have any adjacent shopping centers with radio towers that take up half the parking lot.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:19 PM

I don't think the road connections TO Atlanta make much of a difference. The MARTA route could, and I know it does, but I don't think too many people from Atlanta would head out into the suburbs for the mall except for Discover Mills and Mall of Georgia which are both special. It is probably the OTP section of 400 that did it since Northlake really doesn't have a good connection from the suburbs, anyone coming down I-85 would have had Gwinnett Place, or Discover Mills, or just head to the Mall of Georgia. This includes Snellville actually since it's generally quicker and easier for them to head up 124 to Lawrenceville, or Ronald Reagan Parkway to Duluth, no sense going all the way to I-285, then up to Northlake, so it's already got a very small pool of potential customers.

What I'd like to see the CID do in addition to the trail system is run a shuttle service, doesn't have to be free like BucRide, but something better than the current MARTA service, and something that connects Tucker to the mall is badly needed. Something like this might do nicely:
http://goo.gl/maps/vPplj
Yes, I know it's named "streetcar" but in hindsight, I don't think a streetcar is needed here, a branded, modern, bus service on frequent headways, with infrequent stops between nodes would do nicely.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:28 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times
We see an overwhelming amount of traffic in this area as is. I caught hell trying to get to Four Eyes yesterday for my appointment. I did notice they added a new crosswalk section on Montreal down before Tuesday Morning store. The area south of the Firestation are in dying need of new sidewalks, and the railroad crossing needs fixing.

As far as the mall area, I think they should just advertise more about the area/mall via 285.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Surprised that nobody ever mentions or recommends MARTA rail access to this area. It would do a LOT of good. Sigh. So far to go..

Old 08-10-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Surprised that nobody ever mentions or recommends MARTA rail access to this area. It would do a LOT of good. Sigh. So far to go..
I'm not sure a Heavy Rail route can be justified. With one exception (see next sentence), it's not really on the way to anywhere. I could see a light rail extension from a Cumberland-Doraville line (should be HRT, but since if it's built, it's going to be LRT...), or a stop on an Atlanta-Lilburn/Lawrenceville/Athens commuter rail line. But HRT requires either turning south from Doraville, or coming all the way up from somewhere along the Blue Line. This is one of those places where on further thought, I could see some type of BRT working. Run it Church St. to 29, then turn left and go Montreal to the mall. Either transfer to an area shuttle, or have a second branch to Tucker itself (and still run the shuttle).

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That was actually an advantage Northlake had, with its proximity to I-85.
There's not really much of a difference. Northlake and Perimeter both have direct access via 85 to 285. Perimeter is two or three miles farther away from Spaghetti Junction than Northlake is, but once you're on the interstate, three miles is negligable assuming non-rush hour traffic.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
It'll be interesting to see how this impacts the fight between the Tucker and Lakeside/Briarcliff (Cliffside?) cityhood efforts. Northlake businesses formally joining an existing Tucker entity would seem to make it difficult for Cliffside to continue to claim that Northlake is not part of Tucker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta