Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 09:38 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Meh. Sandy Springs is building a bloated gov't complex. Very exciting. Dunwoody is building more and more office complexes around a mall. Also, very exciting.

If these are the measuring bar for exciting places to live, count me out.

Food and nightlife still are very non-existent in both, minus a few spots.

I've lived in Dunwoody, directly behind the village, for two yrs. I've lived in Sandy Springs for over 10 yrs.
Brookhaven, before it was a city, 10 yrs in two different locations....previous location on the Sandy Springs and Dunwoody boarder. Brookhaven wins hands down in the exciting category.

Average age in Brookhaven is probably a full 10 yrs lower than both.
Please tell me exactly where all this 'excitement' is that I'm apparently missing. I broke it down in an earlier post; so far you've offered nothing tangible to back up your assertions.
And where is the proof of your bolded statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 11:01 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
All the ones that I can think of serve food. Restaurants first, bars second. They close well before 2:30 already. Then you have the club tax. These places are not restaurants.
Well, Brookhaven apparently has a lot of residents (or visitors) who like to come out and party into the wee hours.

We have shut down the bar at Haven ourselves, although that's more like 10:30-11.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Please tell me exactly where all this 'excitement' is that I'm apparently missing. I broke it down in an earlier post; so far you've offered nothing tangible to back up your assertions.
And where is the proof of your bolded statement?
Go to any restaurant, there are 5 within 100yds of one another on Dresden and let me know your observations vs what you see in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. Younger vibrant crowd in Brookhaven 9 times out of 10.

Brookhaven is smaller than both but has more parks. We do go to Brook Run on occasion.

I said "probably" in regards to avg age...that is my observation. How about 10% instead? Lot of olds in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Google tells me the avg age in Sandy Springs is 37. Dunwoody 36. Brookhaven 33. I don't know if these stats are from a recent Census, but imagine the margin will grow each year. We will find out in a couple yrs. My neighborhood has gone the way of younger families for sure and that is my observation of others around me.

Dunwoody is busy adding office parks, Sandy Springs a bloated govt center and apartments that sit 5 ft from Roswell Road...neither of which improve the quality of life for the residents.

Brookhaven's traffic sucks a lot less than any of the former as well from my experience.

We have an actual college, not a satellite office or technical school.

Population is more dense than either two.

Again, I'm not saying Brookhaven is the greatest but imo a lot better than the neighbors to the north.

Quote:
I broke it down in an earlier post
In here? Because all I see are some one liner punch lines from you.

Last edited by ATL Golfer; 07-01-2018 at 07:38 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Go to any restaurant, there are 5 within 100yds of one another on Dresden and let me know your observations vs what you see in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. Younger vibrant crowd in Brookhaven 9 times out of 10.

Brookhaven is smaller than both but has more parks. We do go to Brook Run on occasion.

I said "probably" in regards to avg age...that is my observation. How about 10% instead? Lot of olds in Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Google tells me the avg age in Sandy Springs is 37. Dunwoody 36. Brookhaven 33. I don't know if these stats are from a recent Census, but imagine the margin will grow each year. We will find out in a couple yrs. My neighborhood has gone the way of younger families for sure and that is my observation of others around me.

Dunwoody is busy adding office parks, Sandy Springs a bloated govt center and apartments that sit 5 ft from Roswell Road...neither of which improve the quality of life for the residents.

Brookhaven's traffic sucks a lot less than any of the former as well from my experience.

Again, I'm not saying Brookhaven is the greatest but imo a lot better than the neighbors to the north.

Yes, I did. More careful scrutiny of the posts before responding would be advisable.

Quote:
I wouldn't say "a ton". Besides the offerings on Buford Highway (which Brookhaven inherited upon cityhood), there's Dresden Drive (relatively new; nice but not exactly booming), a couple of offerings here and there on Peachtree and at Cambridge Square. Overall, it's a pretty sedate scene, which is why I'm still baffled by this claim of Excitement Capital of Georgia.
So where are all these entertainment venues? Except for Buford Highway, Brookhaven is just about all residential. The much-touted Dresden Drive certainly isn't all that (but has the potential to be if the NIMBYs would chill out). Where else? The Perimeter Center area alone (which Dunwoody and SS share) has so much more to offer than anything in Brookhaven.

https://www.opentable.com/landmark/r...-center?page=1

https://www.opentable.com/n/atlanta/...en-restaurants

Old 07-02-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did. More careful scrutiny of the posts before responding would be advisable.

So where are all these entertainment venues? Except for Buford Highway, Brookhaven is just about all residential. The much-touted Dresden Drive certainly isn't all that (but has the potential to be if the NIMBYs would chill out). Where else? The Perimeter Center area alone (which Dunwoody and SS share) has so much more to offer than anything in Brookhaven.

https://www.opentable.com/landmark/r...-center?page=1

https://www.opentable.com/n/atlanta/...en-restaurants
I saw that, I just didn't qualify it as full "breakdown" of Brookhaven. Breakdown would be more like what I wrote above.

I get it dude, you think some chain restaurants that cater to a corporate crowd is more exciting. As well as a you know, a gov't megaplex and office parks. None of which are beneficial to the local community in my opinion.

Your link is missing Haven, Valenzia and Kaleidoscope, and Pour just on Dresden alone, 3 of which have live music on the weekends. It does have Arnettes Chop House, upscale steakhouse that opened last month in my neighborhood. No love for places like Havana, Lees Bakery, Pho Dai Loa 2, Au Rendez Vou, Petit Violet etc?

Again, I've lived in all three at length. Brookhaven is younger and more vibrant. Its really not that hard to see.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
If Brookhaven is Georgia's most exciting place, this state has more serious problems than I thought.

Tucker is far more exciting than Brookhaven.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If Brookhaven is Georgia's most exciting place, this state has more serious problems than I thought.

Depends on what your definition of exciting is. Obviously a lot of differing opinions on that front.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Tucker is the next Decatur.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
I saw that, I just didn't qualify it as full "breakdown" of Brookhaven. Breakdown would be more like what I wrote above.

I get it dude, you think some chain restaurants that cater to a corporate crowd is more exciting. As well as a you know, a gov't megaplex and office parks. None of which are beneficial to the local community in my opinion.

Your link is missing Haven, Valenzia and Kaleidoscope, and Pour just on Dresden alone, 3 of which have live music on the weekends. It does have Arnettes Chop House, upscale steakhouse that opened last month in my neighborhood. No love for places like Havana, Lees Bakery, Pho Dai Loa 2, Au Rendez Vou, Petit Violet etc?

Again, I've lived in all three at length. Brookhaven is younger and more vibrant. Its really not that hard to see.
That's it? My hometown of Brunswick has more going on downtown than that. And that's damning with faint praise.
Seriously, one of the homeliest and most unappealing stretches of Peachtree has to be between North Druid Hills Road and Ashford-Dunwoody Road. It's been the stone in Brookhaven's shoe for decades. Town Brookhaven is supposed to pass as "New Urbanism", but fails miserably and contributes nothing to Brookhaven's main drag.
Brookhaven needs a cohesive and urbanized commercial district to befit its beautiful residential neighborhoods on the north side of Peachtree. So far, they don't have it. When you google restaurant recommendations in Brookhaven, it more often than not directs you to Buckhead.
Brookhaven is a fine neighborhood in which to live, but to tout it as Georgia's Excitement Capital is bogus.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:

And Dredsen Dr is accessible from Brookhaven/Oglethorpe Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta