U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-13-2014, 08:06 AM
 
2,092 posts, read 2,716,394 times
Reputation: 1090

Advertisements

"A group of residents have threatened to boycott Edgewood Retail District if security improvements aren't made at the southeast Atlanta shopping center.

In recent weeks, Edgewood residents have discussed how to best address what they consider to be a growing public safety problem in the nearby big-box shopping center. On June 25, four men assaulted and robbed 23-year-old victim Alexander Harbin in the retail complex's parking garage. In early July, another thief attacked and carjacked a woman while nearly running over her with the stolen vehicle.
Following those incidents, some community members are upset over what they consider to be a lack of response from Edgewood Retail District's management to make safety improvements. There's been some debate about how to best approach the issue. But one group, Edgewood Safety Patrol, now plans to boycott the property if more lighting, panic buttons, surveillance cameras, and security personnel aren't made before Black Friday takes place on November 21..."

Full Story: Neighborhood group threatens to boycott Edgewood Retail District | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM
 
2,615 posts, read 3,255,923 times
Reputation: 1478
Those are horrible incidents! Is this the shopping area that has the big Target right off Moreland? The big box stores are making money and need to help make the place safe. How about hiring roving security guards? That might help. I'm skeptical about a panic button doing anything because you have to be able to get to the panic button....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
"A group of residents have threatened to boycott Edgewood Retail District if security improvements aren't made at the southeast Atlanta shopping center.

In recent weeks, Edgewood residents have discussed how to best address what they consider to be a growing public safety problem in the nearby big-box shopping center. On June 25, four men assaulted and robbed 23-year-old victim Alexander Harbin in the retail complex's parking garage. In early July, another thief attacked and carjacked a woman while nearly running over her with the stolen vehicle.
Following those incidents, some community members are upset over what they consider to be a lack of response from Edgewood Retail District's management to make safety improvements. There's been some debate about how to best approach the issue. But one group, Edgewood Safety Patrol, now plans to boycott the property if more lighting, panic buttons, surveillance cameras, and security personnel aren't made before Black Friday takes place on November 21..."

Full Story: Neighborhood group threatens to boycott Edgewood Retail District | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,361,706 times
Reputation: 7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I'm skeptical about a panic button doing anything because you have to be able to get to the panic button....
I agree, and we all know some folks would push it at first sight of a young black male.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM
 
27 posts, read 28,871 times
Reputation: 28
The main problem with this place is the parking deck/garage, which is never heavily used and provides plenty of cover for thieves. If I remember correctly, both of these assaults took place in the parking garage and deck of Edgewood. Modest improvements to security will go a long way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 01:25 PM
 
29,919 posts, read 27,285,420 times
Reputation: 10655
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I agree, and we all know some folks would push it at first sight of a young black male.
That is crazy. Who were the perps in these incidents?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 01:39 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,361,706 times
Reputation: 7922
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is crazy. Who were the perps in these incidents?
What?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,732 posts, read 18,292,095 times
Reputation: 5562
I do all of my shopping here and have never had an incident. I always park on the of Kroger and have had no issues, even when making a late night run for baby medicine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 02:23 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,983 posts, read 12,427,390 times
Reputation: 5865
How long has this place been open and they're just now wanting to protest?! LOL
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
2,066 posts, read 2,238,416 times
Reputation: 2381
Let them boycott it. The hipsters will keep Edgewood in business
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 03:55 PM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,361,706 times
Reputation: 7922
A Friday-only boycott will do nothing other than shift people's shopping day to another day of the week and the stores will lose no sales, but they will likely cut shifts on Fridays, which will save them money and in the end the boycott will be viewed as a win for the retailers.

Backfire.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top