Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 AM

65 posts, read 257,900 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved to Florida ( and I'm not liking the humidity at all as I came from a dry climate). I know…why did I move there? Well, when they said humid….I was thinking something that is not as suffocating and uncomfortable as it is. I like walking and right now I can't do it as the humidity is too uncomfortable to me. The only time it gets nice so far this Summer and we've been here since end of May is when it is about to rain..then the humidity drops and its cool and I'm in heaven for a couple of minutes.

My second choice had been Alpahretta Georgia and what I am wondering is…is the humidity as bad there as where we are living now? Does it only last the summer with Fall, Winter and Spring being nicer so that I can get my walks in?

I don't like having to stay in doors during the day because it is so hot outside and then at night not be able to go out because of the mosquitos and humidity.

So if Alpharetta is similar to Florida in that the humidity is high...does anyone have a state/town to recommend that has a dryer climate than Florida/Alpharetta, has a mild Fall and mild winters?

I love Georgia in that there is the Fall trees changing and Alpharetta seems to have heaps of jobs also and the houses are nice…but I don't want to move there in a year thinking it is different in climate to Florida in regard to the humidity when it isn't. There is no point in moving from one uncomfortable place to another. The Fall, Winter and Spring temps sounds great there as they are not as cold as Kansas.

I've lived only in Kansas and Australia so haven't gotten to know the weather in the states in the USA at all…well except for now Florida.

Thanks for any advice. I'm looking at towns that have a quaint downtown, major employers if possible, festivals, community spirit and houses for sale in the $250,000s on an acre of land if possible and/or rents around $1700 a month for 4 bedroom 2 bath home.

Thanks for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:54 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,012,891 times
Basically the entire east coast has high heat and humidity in the summer. Alpharetta is not as bad as some parts of Florida (where in Florida are you)?, but heat waves are common.

You won't get any valuable answers until you figure out what exact temperatures and relative humidity are inside and outside of your acceptable range. Doing that will allow everyone to pull down climate data for areas that might interest you.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:10 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,749,296 times
I grew up in Florida and Georgia is not substantially different in heat and humidity.

The closer you are to the ocean, the more you get a breeze which helps.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,277,734 times
Perhaps it's because I've lived in the Atlanta for so long, but don't find the humidity particularly bad except for a handful of summer weeks. Right now (8:30 am) it's in the 70s and the humidity has yet to rise. It might be uncomfortable around the lunch hour until evening, but really rarely so bad.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 AM

5,618 posts, read 5,886,416 times
It's not as bad here compared to where you are east of Orlando at the coast. And you get relief starting in September. Generally the most humid region in the US is the entire Gulf Coast region and the South Atlantic with north Georgia on the edge of that humidity so Alpharetta would me more humid than Kansas or the Midwest on average.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,975,542 times
No doubt about it, Florida has awful humidity. I don't think Georgia's is that much more tolerable, but I do think it lasts a shorter amount of time.

But let me ask you this....how do you feel about cold weather?

If you don't mind bundling up to be outside, Alpharetta would likely offer more outside days. However, if you hate cold weather, you'll likely find that Florida has better weather as the entire winter is pretty mild (depending on where you are located), whereas the Atlanta area can have 2-3 month long periods where it's really too cold to go outside if you don't know how to dress for it.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 AM

13,975 posts, read 25,834,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
No doubt about it, Florida has awful humidity. I don't think Georgia's is that much more tolerable, but I do think it lasts a shorter amount of time.

But let me ask you this....how do you feel about cold weather?

If you don't mind bundling up to be outside, Alpharetta would likely offer more outside days. However, if you hate cold weather, you'll likely find that Florida has better weather as the entire winter is pretty mild (depending on where you are located), whereas the Atlanta area can have 2-3 month long periods where it's really too cold to go outside if you don't know how to dress for it.
2-3 months? I'd say more like 2-3 days.

OP, we moved here from So. FL. Late May through mid-Sept the weather is only slightly cooler than what we experienced in Ft Lauderdale, but there are breaks in the humidity. Last week we had the windows open while sleeping.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all the advice. :-) I originally came from Perth Western Australia and it was a very dry climate…that's probably why I'm finding the humidity here so uncomfortable. I am not a hot climate person but on the other hand I'm not a freezing winter person either. A summer high of 70s/80s, Fall of 60s, Winter of 50s and Spring of 60s…would suite me just fine. :-)

I don't mind cold as long as it is not bitter and it doesn't last more than a few months. For me, living in Kansas it was very restrictive having 4-5 months where you couldn't go out and walk due to it being bitter cold and the snow.

I'm glad to hear the humidity doesn't last as long in Alpharetta compared to Rockledge, FL. That's the main thing. Here in Rockledge, FL it is humid at 7:30am and humid right through till bedtime. Not my cup of tea I guess. When we first arrived last week in May….it wasn't too bad. But it has just gotten worse. To me this much humidity is as bad as having snow on the ground….you still can't get out and enjoy yourself but have to stay stuck in the a/c.

I am planning on driving up to Alpharetta in the next few months…..so I will see if it is any worse than where we are now. :-)

Old 08-18-2014, 08:36 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,143,262 times
The heat drains me out here (At least as recent NJ transplant).

Its like our heat & humidity episodes up north for days on end. I kind of miss the crisp nights now. But then again, I didn't move to ATL for the climate.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 PM

Yes, I saw the temps…they are up there with Florida. But it is not just a question of if it is hot…..but how long the humidity last (2-3 months or more??) and what months can you get out and walk without it being too uncomfortable. If it is humid 3 months of the year but the other 9 you can get out and about without being too uncomfortable temp/humidity wise….then that would be alright with me. People here are saying in Florida that it stays hot 6 months of the year…..no thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta