Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 07:31 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

has anyone spotted the new LED lights that have gone up around downtown? there aren't too many— yet. but the new lights are now being used on the nelson street bridge, which has apparently been reopened to pedestrian traffic.

i wrote an article with CL recently about the lights that had been put up around the AUC. they glow this awful yellow-white light, and are several times brighter than they need to be.

the new lights downtown appear to be a different model of light, are nowhere near as bright, and glow more of a 'moonlight' colour. the only problem i can still see is glare, which the LED bulbs produce a ton of. if they could add diffusers to the fixtures, they would be just fine.

i saw they added several LED fixtures around ponce city market, but it's really impossible to gauge the quality of light, since they left all the old sodium lamps in place. nelson street downtown is the only place i have seen them in isolation, and they don't look anywhere near as bad as the fixtures around the AUC, which are absolutely horrid.

has anyone else seen these going up elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Just curious were they single source LEDs or multiple source?

I know one reason LEDs are often favored is the multiple source LEDS can be better positioned to light a linear path in a more efficient manner.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:04 PM

306 posts, read 328,168 times
I do notice the new Marta buses are rollin with LED style HID headlights, big pimpin!

Old 08-20-2014, 05:01 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Just curious were they single source LEDs or multiple source?

I know one reason LEDs are often favored is the multiple source LEDS can be better positioned to light a linear path in a more efficient manner.
do you mean how many LEDs are actually on the fixture? they had arrays of LEDs; maybe a good 20 or so?

Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
do you mean how many LEDs are actually on the fixture? they had arrays of LEDs; maybe a good 20 or so?
Yea that is what I mean. Each LED is another source. Some fixtures can be aligned to make a wider ray of light for the street, but narrow on the other axis to hit only the street more efficiently over that of a single source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: